147gr vs 147gr +P

This is a discussion on 147gr vs 147gr +P within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would one of these be better than the other? Would the +P change anything for the shooter (ie muzzle flip, groupings, etc.)? I know that ...

Thread: 147gr vs 147gr +P

147gr vs 147gr +P

Would one of these be better than the other? Would the +P change anything for the shooter (ie muzzle flip, groupings, etc.)? I know that both would be great rounds, but if you could have only one, which one and why?
    ''What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?'' – Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    +P means higher pressure, so greater energy and muzzle velocity. All other things (bullet weight and shape, powder type) being equal, a +P round will have more kick and/or flip.

The best choice would generally be (and I am not going to go into any sort of summary of various stopping power arguments ) the highest energy you can comfortably shoot with quick, accurate follow-up shots. Energy is linear with mass (147gr is about 20% heavier than 124gr, so at the same muzzle velocity you get 20% more energy), but goes up as the square of the velocity, so you get (pardon the expression) more bang for the buck by raising velocity (i.e., pressure).

Now, specifically for the case of 9mm 147gr, the subsonic 9mm in that weight was something of a fad round for law enforcement a decade or so ago, and there were numerous reported cases of failures to stop BGs with it. I am not saying whether these incidents are good statistical evidence for failure of the standard pressure 147gr bullet (the plural of anecdote is not data ), but they are out there.

That said, I use standard pressure 147gr for IDPA and plinking, but I have Federal 124gr EFMJ+P for defensive ammo.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

147 easier to shoot is more controllable the 124 +P. Federal's 147 HST is did great in many tests. From penetration to very impressive expansion. Winchester Ranger Talon or Remington's GS they very good also.
    As long the barrel is 4 inch or close to it. I like it myself and my wife can shoot it better over any +P round.
    Vodek

Why bother when you can, just as easily, go with 155 gr. .40?
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by vodekz View Post
    147 easier to shoot is more controllable the 124 +P. Federal's 147 HST is did great in many tests. From penetration to very impressive expansion. Winchester Ranger Talon or Remington's GS they very good also.
    As long the barrel is 4 inch or close to it. I like it myself and my wife can shoot it better over any +P round.
    Vodek

So if you have a 3" barrel like my CZ RAMI, you would not recommend 147grain? Will it expand? (So far I've shot only 115gr in 9mm but was wondering about the Winchester 147gr hollow-points.)

Quote Originally Posted by Air,Land&Sea View Post
    Why bother when you can, just as easily, go with 155 gr. .40?
    Because maybe they already have a weapon that chambers 9mm?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I've tested both the 147gr & 147gr +P Federal HST. I found slightly improved gel penetration with the +P and, more importantly, undetectable difference in felt recoil. Given an option of these two rounds I will load the Federal 147gr+P.

Smile

I shoot 147 in 3.5 and 3.9 inch barrel. 3 inch may be short, then 124 +P or 115+P+ round could be better. Try your test to see if the bullets will expand.
    Vodek

Links