How Do You Keep Ammo?

This is a discussion on How Do You Keep Ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I store most of mine in the gun cabinet on the bottom shelf. SD ammo for at least a couple of my semi autos is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Keep Ammo?

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I store most of mine in the gun cabinet on the bottom shelf. SD ammo for at least a couple of my semi autos is in the night stand....I have extra mags, but do not keep them loaded.....just rotate mags each time I shoot at the range or out in the boonies.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

2. Remove Ads

I keep a couple of magazines loaded a little less than capacity so the spring is not fully compressed. The rest of the ammo I keep in the safe.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Where do you get the cans in south FL? Also, this may sound dumb, but where do you buy silica gel? I've never actually seen that stuff in any store.
    Go to walmart or a pet store and buy a bag of silica gel cat litter. You get 10 pounds for $15. Put it in an old altoids tin with holes punched in it or in an sock...

once a year, recharge it in the oven for a few hours at 200 deg F. It changes color when it is saturated blue = still working, pink = needs recharge.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I keep a couple of magazines loaded a little less than capacity so the spring is not fully compressed. The rest of the ammo I keep in the safe.
    Springs wear out from constant compression and expansion (loading and unloading). Keeping them fully loaded and not unloading them for a period of time has no detrimental effect.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Go to walmart or a pet store and buy a bag of silica gel cat litter. You get 10 pounds for $15. Put it in an old altoids tin with holes punched in it or in an sock...

once a year, recharge it in the oven for a few hours at 200 deg F. It changes color when it is saturated blue = still working, pink = needs recharge.
    This sounds good, you should do a write up and post it in the reference and "how to" forum. {How to make your own rechargeable desiccant for moisture/corrosion control.}
    Yoda, I am, yes.

What's a reasonable price for a .50 Cal ammo can that looks to be in great shape (no TLC required).

Quote Originally Posted by SnubMan View Post
    What's a reasonable price for a .50 Cal ammo can that looks to be in great shape (no TLC required).
    They used to be around $5 but the last three I bought, about a month ago, went for $15 each. The army surplus folks didn't have but 5 of them but were getting more. Looks like everyone is on this bandwagon.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

I last bought some from a Ranch and Home store called Atwoods, for a very reasonable price ($5 I think), very similar to Tractor Supply. I don't know if they are a national chain or not. They don't really carry any firearms either.

You can get plastic ones from Academy and places that sell fishing/boating stuff.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Each box of ammo is sealed inside two plastic vacuum glad bags, then stored in a surplus ammo can with a desiccant tin inside.
    One more step and it's on!

I'm gonna spend about a week doing nothing but reloading and storing the ammo in ammo cans in different calibers that will be saved for SHTF situations,I seem to load a couple thousand rounds and shoot it up before I load more which is kinda bad if I needed a bunch like right now
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post

That's really creative... good thinking!

the local Military Surplus store has the .50 Cal ammo can for $12.95@

50 miles away in Nogales, a military surplus store is selling them for $5.95@ and will drop that to $5.50 if you buy 12.

$12.95 x 12 =$155.40 Plus tas

5.50 X 12 =$66.00 Plus tax

Gas cost to drive 100 miles ( round trip) 5 gal X $1.74= $8.70

$155.40- 74.40= saving $81.00 plus tax

driving time round trip 2 hours.

It was worth it.

How many boxes of ammo can you typically fit in a .50cal ammo can anyway?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    How many boxes of ammo can you typically fit in a .50cal ammo can anyway?
    that depends on the type and how its packaged.

ammo

Ive got 1000 rounds of 7.62*39in one and 500 rounds of .223 in the other and can most likley get 1000 in the .223.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links