How Do You Keep Ammo? - Page 3

How Do You Keep Ammo?

This is a discussion on How Do You Keep Ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I take mine out of the boxes and put them in a Ziplok baggy. Label the bag (with sharpy) what brand, count, and grain. Then ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Do You Keep Ammo?

I take mine out of the boxes and put them in a Ziplok baggy. Label the bag (with sharpy) what brand, count, and grain. Then store them in an .50cal ammo can. I can fit more in the can that way instead of different box sizes and what not.

I also throw in a silicone anti moister thingy.....that little bag you get with certain products.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    I take mine out of the boxes and put them in a Ziplok baggy. Label the bag (with sharpy) what brand, count, and grain. Then store them in an .50cal ammo can. I can fit more in the can that way instead of different box sizes and what not.

I also throw in a silicone anti moister thingy.....that little bag you get with certain products.
    Storing in that fashion how many 9mm, 38 SPL, 7.62x39 can you fit in a can (assuming you have stored those). Thanks

I keep mine in a plastic ammo can that seals with a rubber gasket (non-mil-spec).

My question, is how bad is it to simply leave ammo on a shelf? I have heard differing opinions from some who say its fine to sit on a shelf for a few years on end, while others say that it needs to be in a sealed ammo can for any extended period of time.

What says you?
    Ten Simple Rules of Life as a Gunfighter:
    #2: Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by R.E.Lee View Post
    I keep mine in a plastic ammo can that seals with a rubber gasket (non-mil-spec).

My question, is how bad is it to simply leave ammo on a shelf? I have heard differing opinions from some who say its fine to sit on a shelf for a few years on end, while others say that it needs to be in a sealed ammo can for any extended period of time.

What says you?
    I sez... Depends. What is your climate? I live in New Mexico and with the dry climate, sealed boxes and silica are not as important as say, Florida. I shot off a bunch of 9 year old ammo a few days ago with no issues. It was in my house in it's boxes in a closet. I imagine if I were to seal it up with silica it would last way over 10 years.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    I sez... Depends. What is your climate? I live in New Mexico and with the dry climate, sealed boxes and silica are not as important as say, Florida. I shot off a bunch of 9 year old ammo a few days ago with no issues. It was in my house in it's boxes in a closet. I imagine if I were to seal it up with silica it would last way over 10 years.
    I guess it would be very geographically dependent. I am in Virginia, so middle of the road in terms of climate. Not alot of snow or excess moisture, but its not a Texas or Arizona by any means.
    Ten Simple Rules of Life as a Gunfighter:
    #2: Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Go to walmart or a pet store and buy a bag of silica gel cat litter. You get 10 pounds for $15. Put it in an old altoids tin with holes punched in it or in an sock...
    That is what I use here in KY. I occasionally (every six months or so) open the ammo can, check things and slowly "bake" the silica gel to dry it out and then put everything back.

Everything looks good so far.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links