Defensive Carry banner

How Do You Keep Ammo?

4K views 35 replies 27 participants last post by  John Wesley 
#1 ·
i have a good supply of ammo that I keep in ammo cans.
But do you guys keep all of your extra magazines loaded or not?
Just a question to throw at you.

#4 ·
My ammo is in ammo cans as well. I keep one or two extra loaded magazines for each of my pistols, a shotgun with loaded magazine, and the AR-15 with 20rd loaded magazine. All the rest of my spare mags for everything are empty. I do rotate my spares and empties every once in a while, or when I shoot them up.

#10 ·
Look up your local Army surplus in the yellow pages or online. Once in a great while I find some quality ones at my local gun shop or gun shows. Sometimes pawn shop have these as well.

#11 ·
Ammo cans also.
South Florida can get kinda humid, so I throw a few bag of silica gel before I close the box and put a label on it so I don't have to open when I don't remember what's in it :rolleyes:

#12 ·
Where do you get the cans in south FL? Also, this may sound dumb, but where do you buy silica gel? I've never actually seen that stuff in any store.

#15 ·
Ammo cans too, couple full mags for CCW, Loaded 12gauge w/ side saddle full, 1 -30rounder for AK or AR. The rest of my mags go in 50cal. cans or tupperware bins. Everytime I get something shipped w/ silica, I throw the silica in w/ mags or ammo.

#16 ·
I store most of mine in the gun cabinet on the bottom shelf. SD ammo for at least a couple of my semi autos is in the night stand....I have extra mags, but do not keep them loaded.....just rotate mags each time I shoot at the range or out in the boonies.

#19 ·
Springs wear out from constant compression and expansion (loading and unloading). Keeping them fully loaded and not unloading them for a period of time has no detrimental effect.

#22 ·
They used to be around $5 but the last three I bought, about a month ago, went for $15 each. The army surplus folks didn't have but 5 of them but were getting more. Looks like everyone is on this bandwagon.

#23 ·
I last bought some from a Ranch and Home store called Atwoods, for a very reasonable price ($5 I think), very similar to Tractor Supply. I don't know if they are a national chain or not. They don't really carry any firearms either.

You can get plastic ones from Academy and places that sell fishing/boating stuff.

#25 ·
I'm gonna spend about a week doing nothing but reloading and storing the ammo in ammo cans in different calibers that will be saved for SHTF situations,I seem to load a couple thousand rounds and shoot it up before I load more which is kinda bad if I needed a bunch like right now

#27 ·
the local Military Surplus store has the .50 Cal ammo can for $12.95@

50 miles away in Nogales, a military surplus store is selling them for $5.95@ and will drop that to $5.50 if you buy 12.

$12.95 x 12 =$155.40 Plus tas

5.50 X 12 =$66.00 Plus tax

Gas cost to drive 100 miles ( round trip) 5 gal X $1.74= $8.70

$155.40- 74.40= saving $81.00 plus tax :banana:

driving time round trip 2 hours.

It was worth it.

.:urla9ub:

#28 ·
How many boxes of ammo can you typically fit in a .50cal ammo can anyway?

#31 ·
I take mine out of the boxes and put them in a Ziplok baggy. Label the bag (with sharpy) what brand, count, and grain. Then store them in an .50cal ammo can. I can fit more in the can that way instead of different box sizes and what not.

I also throw in a silicone anti moister thingy.....that little bag you get with certain products.

#33 ·
I keep mine in a plastic ammo can that seals with a rubber gasket (non-mil-spec).

My question, is how bad is it to simply leave ammo on a shelf? I have heard differing opinions from some who say its fine to sit on a shelf for a few years on end, while others say that it needs to be in a sealed ammo can for any extended period of time.

What says you?

#34 ·
I sez... Depends. :image035: What is your climate? I live in New Mexico and with the dry climate, sealed boxes and silica are not as important as say, Florida. I shot off a bunch of 9 year old ammo a few days ago with no issues. It was in my house in it's boxes in a closet. I imagine if I were to seal it up with silica it would last way over 10 years.

#36 ·
Go to walmart or a pet store and buy a bag of silica gel cat litter. You get 10 pounds for $15. Put it in an old altoids tin with holes punched in it or in an sock...
That is what I use here in KY. I occasionally (every six months or so) open the ammo can, check things and slowly "bake" the silica gel to dry it out and then put everything back.

Everything looks good so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.