Where did all the 9mm HST go? - Page 2

Where did all the 9mm HST go?

This is a discussion on Where did all the 9mm HST go? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 I don't see a cheap version of a Gold Dot as a big improvement. The markup on the ammo would ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where did all the 9mm HST go?

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I don't see a cheap version of a Gold Dot as a big improvement. The markup on the ammo would pay for a lot of practice and training ammo. It may be "better" than the Hydra Shok in one way, it has a flat profile when expanded instead of the more mushroom shape of the Hydra Shok. Other than that the performance is so close there's virtually no diffference between any of the premium loads. It annoys me that Federal has decided that they are too much for the masses, but OK for the elite LEO agencies, but that doesn't make me have to have them.
    In the picture you posted the 147gr HST appears to have the best expansion. Its not dramatically better but it is BETTER..... That's the whole point --- you use the best.

Quote Originally Posted by jdowder View Post
    Maybe they are not the same bullet, but they are both made by the same company.
    Where does that info come from? I have not heard that before, and since Fed makes their own bullets normally, at least I think that, I would be surprised if they used Speer bullets.

However, I admit that I am not sure of that, but have not heard that Fed used Speer bullets. I would appreciate learning of it if so.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

all ammo is getting hard to find. and the price have gone up. it is the times. get ready.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Does anyone have proof that the Fed HST uses a Gold Dot bullet?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    No, it absolutely does not.
    HST is it's own design.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Where does that info come from? I have not heard that before, and since Fed makes their own bullets normally, at least I think that, I would be surprised if they used Speer bullets.

However, I admit that I am not sure of that, but have not heard that Fed used Speer bullets. I would appreciate learning of it if so.
    Thanks,
    Jerry
    Speer and Federal are owned by the same parent company: ATK

Federal does not use Gold Dots in any of their ammo line.

BTW,
    The reason HST is drying up is because Federal recently restricted it's 50rd ammo boxes to LE only and apparently they are starting to enforce the policy rather vigorously.
    Being that HST is only available in 50rd boxes, it would now fall under the LE only category.
    Sux huh?

OK, I don't see what the big deal is about the HST. I've shot it in 9, .40, and .45. It's a Gold Dot with a conventional jacket instead of an electroplated one. The expanded bullets look the same except for the little "Gold Dot" in the center of the hollow point. Even the little mark left by the punch is the same shape. Federal and CCI are both ATK companies and the technology is obviously the same. I don't see paying for HST just because it's hard to find or LEO only. I don't even think it improves much on the Hydra Shok, the load I'm currently using in 9mm (124gr). I tested it and it does what I want and there are stacks of it available. It's about the same reason I don't care much for trying to find Ranger SXTs and paying scalper prices when I can get Gold Saber all day long. Sharp jacket, no controversy, cheaper.
    It is not and expands very differently. The HST expands more reliably through media such as clothing and to a larger diameter. The bullet tends to keep it's large diameter shape more often than other ammo. Only the DPX round will do the same, but that round expands to a smaller overall diameter. anyway here's a few pictures. As you can see the Gold Dot deforms slightly through clothing.

HST

Gold Dot

Winchester Ranger and Corbon DPX
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by JxMxFxPx View Post
    BTW,
    The reason HST is drying up is because Federal recently restricted it's 50rd ammo boxes to LE only and apparently they are starting to enforce the policy rather vigorously.
    Being that HST is only available in 50rd boxes, it would now fall under the LE only category.
    Sux huh?
    Or that the supply can't keep up with demand. Either way.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by JxMxFxPx View Post
    No, it absolutely does not.
    HST is it's own design.

Speer and Federal are owned by the same parent company: ATK

Federal does not use Gold Dots in any of their ammo line.
    Thanks for the information.
    Regards,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I don't see a cheap version of a Gold Dot as a big improvement. The markup on the ammo would pay for a lot of practice and training ammo. It may be "better" than the Hydra Shok in one way, it has a flat profile when expanded instead of the more mushroom shape of the Hydra Shok. Other than that the performance is so close there's virtually no diffference between any of the premium loads. It annoys me that Federal has decided that they are too much for the masses, but OK for the elite LEO agencies, but that doesn't make me have to have them.

Has nothing to do with a Gold Dot. Gold Dots are made by Speer/CCI and HST is made by Federal. Bullets are completely different as well.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

it seems the HST is the next generation gold dot. it heard the same man designed both.

as fro da' HYDRO-shok(hee,hee), i think the HST is like 30+years ahead in tech..

:)

I posted this in another thread but it's more relevant here.

I can get the HST locally in 230gr +p for .45acp and 124gr 9mm standard pressure. About $30 per box of 20.

20 per box you ask? Yes. It's Federal HST ammo re-boxed and sold under a limited run in a gray box labeled Homeland Defender with a United States flag in the background of the box top. If you find any of that, it is 100% genuine Federal HST defense ammo. Same as you get in the LEO box, except it's marketed for civilians by Ellett Brothers. It's now out of production, but if anyone wants to know where to find it in south FL they can PM me and I'll give them the location of the shop that has it. I try to recommend it to anyone buying defense ammo, but most people don't know ballistics, and bullet weights etc. Any old stuff will do for them so they buy the cheaper Golden Sabers.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I can get the HST locally in 230gr +p for .45acp and 124gr 9mm standard pressure. About $30 per box of 20.

hmmm!

HST $20/50 > HD $75/50

i think on gonna pass on them but thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by stoprilshoot View Post
    hmmm!

HST $20/50 > HD $75/50

i think on gonna pass on them but thanks!

get what you can get IMO really. Nobody has the LEO stuff....i'm stocked up myself so I don't need any defense ammo. Just figured someone would want some HST while it's still available somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if the 50 round boxes of HST never comes back in stock and becomes a department order only item.
    -Thomas Jefferson

really im all set but i think there are better options.

the LEO stuff is still out there if you know where to look but it may not be HST but it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by stoprilshoot View Post
    really im all set but i think there are better options.

the LEO stuff is still out there if you know where to look.
    nobody has it available, trust me I HAVE looked lol...which is why I ordered CorBon DPX instead just to have something. I do like DPX better, but it is expensive.

It's no big deal, I just thought someone local would maybe wanna try it or something. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links