Where did all the 9mm HST go?

This is a discussion on Where did all the 9mm HST go? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went on the ammunition to go site to order another 500 rds of Federal 124 gr HST and nada in stock. A quick search of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where did all the 9mm HST go?

Went on the ammunition to go site to order another 500 rds of Federal 124 gr HST and nada in stock. A quick search of other sites came up dry.

Are the Federal HST rounds going the way of the Win Ranger?

2. Remove Ads

I can't find none in 45 either
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Guys go on line to STREICHERS POLICE EQUIPTMENT.COM as they have a good supply of them in 9mm 40 s&w & 45 acp

thanks
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

...in my ammo box!

Seriously though, it is getting tough to find.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by REDTAIL View Post
    Guys go on line to STREICHERS POLICE EQUIPTMENT.COM as they have a good supply of them in 9mm 40 s&w & 45 acp
    No 147g HST listed on the site. Just backorder.

jpc
    went on site, all HST in 9mm and 45acp backordered. Don't know how long a wait before shipping.
    prior USAF
    1911 COLT MODEL 80/ KAHR CW45
    XD 9MM SUB COMPACT/ P22/ S&W 442
    TAURUS 85/ REMINGTON 870
    Don't let them destroy our 2nd ammendment rights.
    I want Obama & his policies to fail, but I want our country to succeed.

its all just gonna be a legend, no more for Joe Public says federal.

HST

OK, I don't see what the big deal is about the HST. I've shot it in 9, .40, and .45. It's a Gold Dot with a conventional jacket instead of an electroplated one. The expanded bullets look the same except for the little "Gold Dot" in the center of the hollow point. Even the little mark left by the punch is the same shape. Federal and CCI are both ATK companies and the technology is obviously the same. I don't see paying for HST just because it's hard to find or LEO only. I don't even think it improves much on the Hydra Shok, the load I'm currently using in 9mm (124gr). I tested it and it does what I want and there are stacks of it available. It's about the same reason I don't care much for trying to find Ranger SXTs and paying scalper prices when I can get Gold Saber all day long. Sharp jacket, no controversy, cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    OK, I don't see what the big deal is about the HST. I've shot it in 9, .40, and .45. It's a Gold Dot with a conventional jacket instead of an electroplated one. The expanded bullets look the same except for the little "Gold Dot" in the center of the hollow point. Even the little mark left by the punch is the same shape. Federal and CCI are both ATK companies and the technology is obviously the same. I don't see paying for HST just because it's hard to find or LEO only. I don't even think it improves much on the Hydra Shok, the load I'm currently using in 9mm (124gr). I tested it and it does what I want and there are stacks of it available. It's about the same reason I don't care much for trying to find Ranger SXTs and paying scalper prices when I can get Gold Saber all day long. Sharp jacket, no controversy, cheaper.
    HST is a big improvement over Hydra Shok and for that matter any other SD round (at least for 9mm -- all I am concerned about). I spent a lot of time reading about SD rounds for 9mm and everything I have ever read including many non-biased individuals testing (not a gun rag writer) HST vs every other big name bullet points to HST as superior. Have not done my own testing but I will once mine shows up from STREICHERS POLICE EQUIPTMENT.COM... too bad there is a 30-40 day wait time now (spoke w/ a rep.).

OK

I don't see a cheap version of a Gold Dot as a big improvement. The markup on the ammo would pay for a lot of practice and training ammo. It may be "better" than the Hydra Shok in one way, it has a flat profile when expanded instead of the more mushroom shape of the Hydra Shok. Other than that the performance is so close there's virtually no diffference between any of the premium loads. It annoys me that Federal has decided that they are too much for the masses, but OK for the elite LEO agencies, but that doesn't make me have to have them.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Does anyone have proof that the Fed HST uses a Gold Dot bullet?

Thanks,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Does anyone have proof that the Fed HST uses a Gold Dot bullet?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    Maybe they are not the same bullet, but they are both made by the same company.

I stopped by 2 Wal Marts and a carbela's on the way home today and none of them had any 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    OK, I don't see what the big deal is about the HST.
    The big deal @ ATG was 50 rds. of 9mm HST (124gr.+P) for $20 Fortunately I grabbed 3 boxes before they went OOS 2 weeks ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links