Federal 9mm EFMJ

Federal 9mm EFMJ

This is a discussion on Federal 9mm EFMJ within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody know/use this round? Federal's website shows it only comes in 105gr. Isn't that rather light?...

Thread: Federal 9mm EFMJ

Question Federal 9mm EFMJ

Anybody know/use this round? Federal's website shows it only comes in 105gr. Isn't that rather light?
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

I had some for my Kel-Tec PF-9 as it refused to feed Remington Golden Sabers. Have since found other HP ammo that will feed reliably and switched it to that. They do make it in a 124 gr. +P round but it is the LE Tactical ammo so you're probably not going to get it at your local sporting goods store. Unless you have some legal need to use these, I think there are better performing rounds out there.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

EFMJ

I use the 124gr +P in my Uzi and it's very reliable. When I tested the 9 and .45ACP loads, they expanded no matter what I shot them through first. Heavy clothes, drywall, plywood. Same performance from rifle, carbine, and pistol barrels. If you couldn't use JHP or knew you would have to shoot at heavily clothed people it would be a good choice. If you wanted to use it because it JHP won't feed in your gun, there are better options. You might try Gold Saber, very hard jacket that's almost as round as FMJ, or see a pistolsmith for a ramp and throat job.

I have used it and find it works as advertised. I wouldn't feel a disatvantage using it. I bounce between HST and EFMJ both 124+P loads in my Kahr K9

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The 124gr is one of Federal's "LE only" offerings, which is to say it's a little harder to find. Try Ammo, Ammunition, Rifle Ammunition, 9mm Ammo, Military Surplus.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I use them as well, and buy the 124 grain +P from ammoman.com. It feeds like FMJ, and expands regardless of the type of clothing.

I cant find the spec sheets right now on the EFMJ but I believe their only drawback was penetration. If I remember correctly expansion was great but penetration depth was not as good as HST, GD , Ranger T etc.

Do they make it in 124gr "standard pressure"?

I like the idea, but have no desire to go to a +P round.

Sometimes certain bullet designs are loaded +p for a reason. Every bullet design has a velocity range in which it functions best. Too slow and it won't expand correctly and/or penetrate adequately. Too fast and it may overpenetrate and lose expansion or it will expand violently, possibly fragment and penetrate too shallow. Each manufacturer tests their bullets and when you buy one that isn't available in a standard pressure, it is perhaps because it doesn't work as well and they would rather market what works.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    +P is more often than not just a marketing ploy to get more money from the same round.

I've never run into anyone who would volunteer to be shot by a whimpy non-+P round. I wonder why?
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    +P is more often than not just a marketing ploy to get more money from the same round.

I've never run into anyone who would volunteer to be shot by a whimpy non-+P round. I wonder why?
    Again, every bullet has a range in which is functions as intended. Ever wonder why some high velocity rounds fragment badly? Because the manufacturer loaded it up too hot. Think Corbon's old 115gr +p round. Numerous reports of nasty fragmentation and poor penetration.

It depends on the bullet, but often times the +p does help keep the velocity in the range required for proper expansion.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Sponsored Links