Defensive Carry banner

winchester pdx1?

15K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  RTC1004 
#1 ·
has anybody heard much about the new winchester bonded pdx1? i have seen a couple of articles on this, and winchesters web site, but i was curious if anybody has seen anything else, what are your thoughts?

#2 ·
I was at a local store today looking for a new 1911 and the guy showed me a couple of these rounds that had been test fired, 9mm, .40 & .45. Damn they were wickedly expanded! They have the same outward appearence as the older Black Talons when expanded, but are bonded. He had another test fired bonded round there as well, but it suffered from core seperation. I can't remember now which round it was though. Either way it left enough of an impression that I bought a box of it in .45ACP for my Glock 36. I had been looking for something "wicked" for it. If I decide on buying a new 9mm, I would purchase another box in it as well. For reference it was running $30 per 20 cartridges.

#5 ·
I was in my local sporting goods store on Friday, where i'm considered a regular and everybody knows my name. Was talking with one of the workers there about ammo, and he brought up the pdx1, he said that when they got this ammo in he decided to try it out from some of the reviews he heard.

Well he went out the other day to shoot it and said that it would fully penatrait the car door of a Crown Vic. ( he used an old derby car for his target)

Just some food for thought

#7 ·
dang...I was just going to ask about this stuff. I was just at target and they had several boxes for like $20. Didn't get it because I didn't know if it was any good but I think I might be heading back up there now.

#8 ·
Ammo

I can't quite tell from the pictures. Does it have the sharp "Talons" like the Ranger series? Or is it just another version of the Gold Dot / HST? I'm hoping for the best of both if it has the sharp extended jacket edges.

#10 ·
Looks like it suffers from the same problem that most bonded pistol projectiles do, plugging and not expanding when shot through clothing, well... at least half the time. Not what I'd consider a 'robust' design with that failure rate.

See attached link. 50% expand, 50% dont at all. No thanks. Give me HST or Ranger T-series. By the way, both of these will also go through a car door.

Win Ranger Bonded 9 mm and .40 - M4Carbine.net Forums

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.