Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me. - Page 2

Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me.

This is a discussion on Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Euclidean I'd never buy a gun chambered in .357 SIG i said the same thing once......considered it a solution looking for a ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I'd never buy a gun chambered in .357 SIG
    i said the same thing once......considered it a solution looking for a problem (much like i consider the .45 gap)....and then i bought one on impulse, and after taking it shooting it was an immediate connection, and has since become my daily carry.

now watch me go do exactly that)
    lol.....now you sound like me! try one out, i cant imagine it would be for everyone but its become one of my favorite calibers.

i loved the 357 sig Caliber when i had the gun just didnt like the gun

Lead Moderator
    From shooting my HK USP 40 compared to my SA .45 lw champion, I feel little diffence in recoil. Now the PT 140 I owned had a sharp, fast recoil to it. Of course a 3' barrel and 24 oz. unloaded weight does affect recoil. Never noticed any diffrence really, shooting my friends .40's or .45's.

the .40 does have more snap than a 10mm, and I'll still stick to the 10...
    The only other large caliber in a pistol for me would be a .45 acp.

I didnt care for the .40 myself...but it was a light, polymer HK P2000...nice gun, just didnt like how it recoiled. Now I'm using two .45s, a Kimber and an SA.

JT
    I love the 40, but I have been shooting it for over 10 years, and it's what I shoot the most, so it feels normal to me.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Moderator
    Well this is interesting! Here we are some long time, dyed in the wool gun types and for the most part we don't care that much for the .40 cal. but .40 is the most popular LE round. I'm not sure how to explain that.

And further we mostly seem to prefer the .45 and the 9mm because we all know which one is best - LOL!

Bud,
    Your description of the G-22,

“…ill give the Glock 22 a second change… I shoot so so with it but notice the muzzle whip is way out of proportion with what the cartridge can do… but the 40 seems to have a lot of whip and crack and seem to slam harder back into the hand..

really caught my eye since I had shot a G-17 along with some other 9mms just last Wednesday. I noticed the same thing you described, except less of course, with the G-17. I shot the H&Ks first and when I shot the G-17, the sharper recoil surprised me. It wasn't a lot, just noticeable.

I think it's because the centerline of the bore is so low to the hand, you get less flip and increased straight back recoil. I suppose some of it it that the Glock is one of the lightest pistols on the market.

But now that you've mentioned that it seemed harder to shoot fast, I have no choice but to go shooting again today and notice that.

A

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    I think it's because the centerling of the bore is so low to the hand, you get less flip and increased straight back recoil.
    To me, a Glock has less perceived recoil for that very reason.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JT
    To me, a Glock has less perceived recoil for that very reason.
    It's also interesting that my G-21 seemed to have the softess recoil of any .45 I have ever shot and yet it's likely the lightest gun as well.

I never quite figured out how a light gun felt softer than a heavier one, but it really did. I wondered if the combination of the low bore plus the wider grip to spread out the recoil across your hand was the reason.

JT
    I think it is that, and the slight flex you get from the polymer frame. At least that's what they say.

Senior Moderator
    I've never really bought into that frame flex claim. Maybe it does a little, but how much would it have to flex in order to reduce felt recoil?

Looks like this will be post #1700 for me!

I love my Glock M27 in "Shorty Forty." But before that I had a Glock M23 and I hated it! Muzzle jump was guaranteed to induce flinch inside of 50 rds. I sold it and got the M27 on the advice of my best buddy. I have not ever regretted that purchase. But I don't shoot even the M27 for static targets, only IDPA. I truly don't notice the recoil when I'm moving....'Cause...I'm better when I move.... LOL!

As far as perhaps getting another 40 someday, I will admit to a certain LUST for the new Sig P229 with the SAS finish. Or perhaps an H&K USPc is in my future. Those are about all that I would consider.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    It's also interesting that my G-21 seemed to have the softess recoil of any .45 I have ever shot and yet it's likely the lightest gun as well.

I never quite figured out how a light gun felt softer than a heavier one, but it really did. I wondered if the combination of the low bore plus the wider grip to spread out the recoil across your hand was the reason.
    My USP 45 is about the same size as my old Glock M21 and I think the USP has a noticeably lighter kick than the M21.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    My USP 45 is about the same size as my old Glock M21 and I think the USP has a noticeably lighter kick than the M21.
    I haven't shot a USP 45, but my USP 9mm is a softy. I'm still a little surprised that the USP 45 shoots lighter than a G-21. Not saying it doesn't; it's just a surprise because I thought the G-21 shot so light.

Welp! Now we've done it! All this talk about shootin'; I'm gonna stop talkin' and start shootin'. I have shot since Wednesday - a guy can only go so long.

There no answer i suppose but is weird the 10mm is easier to shoot and shoot fast than the 40

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links