Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me. - Page 3

Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me.

This is a discussion on Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Strange. I have shot a 4006, P99, HK USP, PT140 taurus and a XD 40. Never noticed a lot of recoil except the PT. I ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me.

Lead Moderator
    Strange. I have shot a 4006, P99, HK USP, PT140 taurus and a XD 40. Never noticed a lot of recoil except the PT. I was impressed with the XD especially. It seems like it handles as well as my USP.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    From shooting my HK USP 40 compared to my SA .45 lw champion, I feel little diffence in recoil.
    the hk usp recoil reduction system is very effective. there is actually a lot of difference in the .40 and the .45. the .45 has a big "push", where the .40 has a quick "snap". if you try a standard 1911 style buffer system on the .40 compared to your springfield .45, youll notice more of a difference.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Bud, I've shot a Glock 23 and a S&W Sigma, and got rid of both because they were very uncomfortable to shoot. Now I have two HK's, one USPf and one USPc. These are heavier guns and I feel they are quite comfortable. I also have a Ruger 944, which as you know is a brick. The muzzle flip seems non-existant with it. I like the extra capacity and ballistics of the .40 but I couldn't argue with 12 rds of .45 in a USP45.

Quote Originally Posted by older gunner
    Bud, I've shot a Glock 23 and a S&W Sigma, and got rid of both because they were very uncomfortable to shoot. Now I have two HK's, one USPf and one USPc. These are heavier guns and I feel they are quite comfortable. I also have a Ruger 944, which as you know is a brick. The muzzle flip seems nonexistent with it. I like the extra capacity and ballistics of the .40 but I couldn't argue with 12 rds of >45 in a USP45.

Good to know the other makes seem to handle the recoil better but i still think ill stay away from it other than one gun i have now unless i find a 610 smith so i can shoot the 40-cal for super cheep practice out of it

I really enjoy my CZ RAMI .40. The gun is steel and the extra weight helps with the felt recoil, even with the 3" barrel. Not bad to shoot at all and very accurate, at least to me. Course, being the czman, I might be prejudiced! Looking to get a CZ-75B Compact .40 at the local gun show this weekend. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference and what you shoot best.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Funny how opinions differ.

I love how my G23 shoots, no problem with rapid fire and the addition of the CT laser didn't have the negative effect on the "feel" or the "pointing" of the gun, either.

Flawed though it may be, the reason I went with the .40 S&W was that the 9mm offered a high-cap magazine, the .45 had the best "stopping-power, and the .40 looked to me like a nice choice in between.

To my thinking, the .40 S&W is very close to the .45 when it comes to the "effect on target," but had a mag cap closer to the 9mm.

I find the size of the G23 serves me well when it comes to conceal ability, without having to drop down to the subcompact like my wife's G26. For the record, she has no problems shooting my G23, either.

To put my personal yardstick into some kind of perspective, I actually enjoyed shooting my Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag. (Long since gone, though.) But I sure wouldn't want that one for a "carry piece!"

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

It is something how people have different opinions. My preference is the .40 caliber, and the guns I use are the Glock Models 22, 23 and 27. They seem to work for me.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

it is funny how they differ i still like the 500 better to shoot than the 40

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I've shot all the calibers mentioned (except the 10mm and 500), and I would say the two easiest to shoot are the 45 and 9mm. The worst in terms of flip (that I have shot) are the 357Sig and 7.62x25.

I can shoot my BHP in 40 at the range until I run out of ammo. But the gun definitely makes a difference, I shot a full sized HK USP in 40 and it felt like a 9mm.

Bud I can agree with you about the 40. I have shot it out of several gun and found that I just don't shoot it very well. I also agre with your conclusions with the 10mm my Colt was never a problem and alot more accurate than any of the 40s so far. I ended up going to a 9mm as my daily carry gun and with current ammo selection for 9mm I don't feel disadvantaged in any way.

Way i been shooting wheelies lately maybe its time to carry the 500

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Hey Bud,
    Go to the FireingLine and rent a XD .40 service, I think you will really like it. I don't care for the P series Kahr in .40 or a Glock ( a G23 is what I traded for my XD ) You may like it so much that you will have that on you list of things to come. ( a .357sig drop in barrel isn't that much extra either. )

Maybe one day but for now this is a dead issue and ill stick with the 10mm to busy buying wheelies

I've had good luck with my 40 S&W(Taurus 24/7). The recoil feels about the same as my springfield .45. But I've never shot both of them on the same trip to the range, yet. But that's my opinion..
    "Stay Alert, Stay Alive"

I wonder if you are wanting less "KICK" or better ballistics? .40 has a really well known knock down power, and is a favoite among FBI and Police everywhere. I guess it's a matter of targets......Just my .02......G

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links