Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me. - Page 4

Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me.

This is a discussion on Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gunsavey I wonder if you are wanting less "KICK" or better ballistics? .40 has a really well known knock down power, and ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsavey
    I wonder if you are wanting less "KICK" or better ballistics? .40 has a really well known knock down power, and is a favoite among FBI and Police everywhere. I guess it's a matter of targets......Just my .02......G

Trust me kick dont bother me

I have been shooting 40 S&W in Glocks for about 8 years at IDPA and 2 -gun, and PPC matches. Using G27, G23, G22, and G35 models and have converged on the opinion that the 40 is too snappy in these light polymer guns. The G35 is fairly forward heavy which mitigates the muzzle flip.

I have shot a G19 along my G23 in the same range session at 10 -15 yds and the G19 was significantly more accurate. I suspect it is attributed to the high impulse recoil of the 40.

I have ordered 357 Sig barrels for the G23 and G35 to determine if this will salvage the situation, but I am considering moving to a 9mm in the Glocks if this does not remedy my issue.

Will post 357 sig impressions as I get range time in with the new barrels.

Satch

Quote Originally Posted by Slide Lock Satch

I have...converged on the opinion that the 40 is too snappy in these light polymer guns. The G35 is fairly forward heavy which mitigates the muzzle flip...I have ordered 357 Sig barrels for the G23 and G35 to determine if this will salvage the situation, but I am considering moving to a 9mm in the Glocks if this does not remedy my issue.

Will post 357 sig impressions as I get range time in with the new barrels.

Satch
    Welcome to the board, Satch. I shoot 357SIG, and have a .40 drop-in barrel. When I was deciding on caliber, I shot a lot of each from different platforms, and found the two to be very similar in felt recoil, with 357SIG being a little sharper (it would probably be equal if I were shooting a 125gr .40). Muzzle flip doesn't happen until after the bullet leaves the barrel, so if your mechanics are sound through the trigger squeeze, you will be on target. The trick is overcoming the tendency to anticipate the recoil. You can do that by focusing on the mechanics, dry fire exercises, and regular practice. That is, you do get used to it.

You are right that the pistol has a lot to do with it. I shoot a stainless P226, and find it easy and fun to shoot, and I shoot it well. I don't think I would enjoy 357SIG or .40 as much in a lighter pistol. I don't think switching to 357SIG will remedy your issue with muzzle flip. If anything, it will get slightly worse. 357SIG is basically a 1450fps .357 Mag in semi-auto (or, think 9mm Mag). It's going to be sharper than 9mm, and even a little sharper than 9mm +P+.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I shot a Glock in 40 and didn't care for it. In Glock I perfer the 9 or 45.
    The 40 never appealed to me. I've carried a nine for several years with confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Well this is interesting! Here we are some long time, dyed in the wool gun types and for the most part we don't care that much for the .40 cal. but .40 is the most popular LE round. I'm not sure how to explain that.

And further we mostly seem to prefer the .45 and the 9mm because we all know which one is best - LOL!
    Bud,
    Your description of the G-22,

“…ill give the Glock 22 a second change… I shoot so so with it but notice the muzzle whip is way out of proportion with what the cartridge can do… but the 40 seems to have a lot of whip and crack and seem to slam harder back into the hand..

really caught my eye since I had shot a G-17 along with some other 9mms just last Wednesday. I noticed the same thing you described, except less of course, with the G-17. I shot the H&Ks first and when I shot the G-17, the sharper recoil surprised me. It wasn't a lot, just noticeable.

I think it's because the centerline of the bore is so low to the hand, you get less flip and increased straight back recoil. I suppose some of it it that the Glock is one of the lightest pistols on the market.

But now that you've mentioned that it seemed harder to shoot fast, I have no choice but to go shooting again today and notice that.

A
    Tangle,....you hit it right on the head! I have a H&K USP .40 and a Glk 23 .40. It's day and night as far as felt recoil. I still believe in the ballistics of the .40 cal. The Glock is just a lower profile and lighter than most. Still a fine weapon for CCW. Like you said,....the LE's believe in it.
    1. Dum spiramus tuebimur -"While we breath, we shall defend"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsavey
    Tangle,....you hit it right on the head! I have a H&K USP .40 and a Glk 23 .40. It's day and night as far as felt recoil. I still believe in the ballistics of the .40 cal. The Glock is just a lower profile and lighter than most. Still a fine weapon for CCW. Like you said,....the LE's believe in it.
    Yeah, but H&K USPs are soft shooters - almost unfair to compare any other gun to a USP.

lets be fair the L.Es have no choice in the matter in most cases what they carry the ones i know believe in glock but dont care for the 40 most want the 9's back except 2 of them they want the 357's back

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    lets be fair the L.Es have no choice in the matter in most cases what they carry the ones i know believe in glock but dont care for the 40 most want the 9's back except 2 of them they want the 357's back
    I almost said that LEs don't get to pick myself, +1 Bud!

I've only fired one .40, a 4" XD. Not a bad time, I was more accurate with it than my brother-in-law's XD in 9mm. Recoil wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but more than a 9mm for sure. All in all I'll stick with my 9mms and when I want a bigger round I'm going to a 1911.

VIP Member
    I have several .40 S&Ws....my favorites are my Steyr S40 (compact, light, accurate, outstanding sights, and easy recoiling for a .40) and Walther P99QA Titanium (light, accurate, very nice user replaceable sights, super-fast magazine swaps due to mag release location, and extremely reliable).

I also like my "work gun" SIGARMS P229 and my personal Beretta 96F Centurion.....I'd carry my Centurion over my P229 if so authorized by my agency.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I shoot 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP, CZ75 P-01, Sig P239, Star Firestar 45. Love them all. I really don't notice much difference in recoil impulse/sensation when shooting them. I have noticed that Speer GDHP 124gr Short Barrel ammo is difinitly pretty snappy in the P-01. The Sig w/180gr GDHP and the Firestar w/185gr GDHP seem to feel very similar to me. To each his own I guess, I like shooting them all just fine

Just picked up a Browning Hi Power in .40S&W (not for the caliber, but because it was a Hi Power at a price too good to pass up). Haven't fired it yet and need to play with some ammo choices before I qualify my carry load.

Til then, sticking with my 9mm.
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

I bought my son an airsoft handgun. I immediatly noticed the pink pellets were noticably underpowered. The yellow ones were quite a bit more snappy in recoil and the red ones just gave more of a push than a flip. My favorites the blue ones were by far the best, giving the best accuracy and the most power, yet the recoil is much more managable for that rapid follow up shot. I hope this clears this up.

Sorry, couldn't resist

I have shot the .40 for years and don't even think much about it.
    frankmako

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc rangemaster
    I bought my son an airsoft handgun. I immediatly noticed the pink pellets were noticably underpowered. The yellow ones were quite a bit more snappy in recoil and the red ones just gave more of a push than a flip. My favorites the blue ones were by far the best, giving the best accuracy and the most power, yet the recoil is much more managable for that rapid follow up shot. I hope this clears this up.

Sorry, couldn't resist
    Have you tried the armor piercing ones?
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links