Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me. - Page 5

Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me.

This is a discussion on Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been shooting my Ruger 9mm and now I have the Glock 27 and the glock is more controllable than the ruger with 165 grain ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me.

I've been shooting my Ruger 9mm and now I have the Glock 27 and the glock is more controllable than the ruger with 165 grain remingtons. I can aquire a second shot faster with the glock too.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Just wanted to chime in:

I own .40's, 9mm's and .45's. Overall I enjoy the .40's the best. For me, it was just the overall preformance of the round. I grew up shooting .45's, never was impressed with the 9mm, but this was during the 80's and early 90's. I'm mature enough to know the round improved, just never been able to forget the "early days". My current favorites are the XD series, Service model being for shoot meets and the SC for carry.

Anyway, glad to be here at ya'll forum, seems like a nice place to hang out and learn valuable info.

Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    muzzle whip is way out of proportion with what the cartridge can do
    this is exactly why i dont own anything in .40 anymore. however, if you do want a .40 try a fullsize hk USP. the dual buffer spring "recoil reduction system" on the fullsize USP tames the .40 right down like no other weapon ive fired.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    well read all the post on this thread lol and see that most have the same concultion i did the sigma s--ks i have noticed that the .40 dose kick up and sharper than my kim in .45 and i cant wait to compare it to the springer mil spec 5 incher in .45 it is my first .40 dont know if i will ever buy another plastic gun kinda disapointed and i dont like the fat grips although i have big hands

Quote Originally Posted by ssssthesnake
    well read all the post on this thread lol and see that most have the same concultion i did the sigma s--ks i have noticed that the .40 dose kick up and sharper than my kim in .45 and i cant wait to compare it to the springer mil spec 5 incher in .45 it is my first .40 dont know if i will ever buy another plastic gun kinda disapointed and i dont like the fat grips although i have big hands

Don't let the sigma turn ya off to tupperware it is not a good example of the better guns like glock or Hk

It might be the gun rather than the caliber.

I don't like 40 in a Sig. I'll tolerate the 40 in a Glock. I love 40 in the M&P.

I don't like the 45 in a Sig. I love the 45 in a 1911 commander or larger.

I love the 9mm in a Sig, XD, S&W, Hi-Power.
    john

Lightbulb Hmmmmmmm VELLY INTELESTING......

Quote Originally Posted by jclif1995
    It might be the gun rather than the caliber.

I don't like 40 in a Sig. I'll tolerate the 40 in a Glock. I love 40 in the M&P.

I don't like the 45 in a Sig. I love the 45 in a 1911 commander or larger.

I love the 9mm in a Sig, XD, S&W, Hi-Power.
    Interesting assertion! Let's see, I have 45's in 1911, Sig and H&K. The first are safe queens, I carry the Sig P245 regularly and the USPf is the dedicated house gun with a complimentary gunlight underneath. Yet it's a bit too big for my hands. I can shoot it very well and I love it for the 100% reliability but it's too big for comfortable ccw.

I love my Beretta M92FS but use it only for IDPA competitions. My Browning Hi-Power is reserved for my nephew if he ever moves out of the communist region of DC or his home state of MA. The 9mm is a superbly accurate, low recoil firearm that requires little maintenance. Perfect for competition. Not so hot for personal defense, IMHO....and in the platforms I have, too big. In a smaller platform, the capacity allure diminishes.

I have only a Glock M27 in the 40 and a Kel-Tec Sub2k carbine. I love the carbine for an increased reach in range but mostly because the two are mag compatible AND the carbine folds neatly into a small case. This is my trip combo. The M27 conceals in an Blade Tec IWB and it just disappears. It's a great tool for what I need on the road with my family. But the Glock doesn't feel perfect in my hands, although I'm good with it. Just another tool in the toolbox.

My Sig P245 feels nearly perfect, but lacks the capacity I desire.

I think the perfect carry gun for me is a Sig P229 OR possibly the H&K USPc each in the 40. This might be ideal since the cost of an additional barrel in .357 sig is negligible so you get two for one. Could be important. I really like the Sig P229 SAS, with the DAK trigger. That baby feels to me like ECALIBUR must have felt to the "Boy King." It presents the best possible compromise in power and capacity that I seek. Just a matter now of deciding between the two. I lean in the direction of the SAS Sig.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; May 30th, 2006 at 07:10 AM.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Ex.....I'll go a step further....I'll tell you why

The 45 in Sig 220 whips up and is hard for "me" to control. The 45 in the 1911 design lifts up as it pushes back against me thus acting like an extension of my body, not just a gun in my hand(s).

The 40 in Sig really whips up much like the larger sister, again being more difficult to control. The glock is much more acceptable but does not feel natural in my hands. The M&P acts much like the 45 does just to a lesser degree and feels quite natural in my hands.

I attribute the differences here to grip preference, spring configuration, some trigger differences, but most importantly, barrel location. It may be just my perception but I think the sig barrels ride higher than the polymer pistols.

The 9mm? This is just an easy round to fire in all but the smallest and lightest of guns.
    john

GPS

Caliber Wars - Dumping the 9's

I know a bunch of local LEO's who have all sworn off of 9mm Glocks after being involved in a shoot out a few months back. One officer pulled over a vehicle with out of state plates that came back as a stolen. It turned out the occupants were two escaped convicts, one of which came out shooting with a .45acp and trapped the first officer inside his cruiser. The 45 turned the cruiser into swiss cheese, easily penetrating the windshield and body panels.

Another officer coming up on the scene from a side street and seeing the shooting going down, pulled his Glock 9mm and fired through his own windshield at the perp with the gun. After punching through his cruiser's windshield, officer two's rounds hit the perp and basically didn't even penetrate the guy's skin. The perp jumped back into his car and took off again causing a high speed chase and running gun battle.

They finally managed to capture the cons. They later went to the chief and asked to get rid of the 9's in favor of 45's. Not sure why they didn't want 40S&W or .357sig. I think they may have thought the other two were too much gun, being worried about over penetration and such. I don't understand that because it didn't bother them when they were using .357 wheel guns. I do know the department wanted to be standardized and that might have been the biggest contributing factor to their choice because not everyone on the deparatment felt comfortable handling the heavier kicking loads.
    Cordially,
    GPS

Visit U.S. Concealed Carry - The Ultimate Resource for the Armed Citizen http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/inde...ffID=GStrecker

that high velocity .357sig would appear to have been a good choice. that is a fast moving bullet. perhaps they did not consider those two because of the cost to the department.
    john

Quote Originally Posted by jclif1995
    that high velocity .357sig would appear to have been a good choice. that is a fast moving bullet. perhaps they did not consider those two because of the cost to the department.
    The 357 Sig behaves vastly differently from the 357 magnum, except in the NOISE factor. The Sig 357 is L-O-U-D! On a live firing line with multiple courses of fire you can always single out who is shooting the 357 sig. I can only imagine the horror of having to fire one in a close space like my car or inside an elevator. Better make the first shot perfect, 'cause that lil sucker will induce permanent flinch.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

.40 is different, but not bad

I got my first .40 caliber gun about 6 years ago, a Glock 23. Until then I was accustomed to shooting 9mm, .45 ACP and .357 magnum. I also have a .44 magnum and had shot that a bit.

The first shot or two with the G23 got my attention. I wouldn't say it was harsh, but I felt it was "serious" in the way it recoiled compared to a 9mm Glock 19 I already owned. But I kept using the G23 and quickly became accustomed to the feel of the recoil.

Later I got a Sig P229 and a USP 40c in the same .40 caliber, and have shot them a fair amount, along with the G23. Of the three, I find the Sig the most pleasant to shoot, probably because it weighs about 6 ounces more than the other two. The USP would be second in felt recoil, maybe because of its "recoil reduction system". The G23 still has the most felt recoil of the three guns.

At this point I like the .40 caliber, and buy 500 rounds at a time, usually CCI Blazer. For defensive use I have Winchester Silvertips in 155 grains. I think it is just as accurate as the other major calibers, and I enjoy shooting it at the range.

Shot it again in a Sig 229 and im still far from impressed ill try it at the range here in a few days and see if its any better the sig does soak up the felt recoil of the cartridge but still wont move it up to fav

Talking Question for pogo2

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2
    Later I got a Sig P229 and a USP 40c in the same .40 caliber, and have shot them a fair amount, along with the G23. Of the three, I find the Sig the most pleasant to shoot, probably because it weighs about 6 ounces more than the other two. The USP would be second in felt recoil, maybe because of its "recoil reduction system". The G23 still has the most felt recoil of the three guns.
    I'm seriously considering a Sig P229 in 40 (the SAS version with the DAK trigger) and I'm curious as to whether you feel the H&K USPc had the most felt recoil between the two. Was there a lot of barrel rise on both or more on one? Do you have small, medium or large hands? Which one fills your hands most comfortably? I have smallish hands. I have a Glock M27 that kicks only moderately. I'm good with it, but better when I move (sounds like the Sundance Kid) as opposed to static target shooting. But I have heard and read (from other reviews) that the grip for the P229 is hand filling enough to effectively spread felt recoil over the whole hand....

I have a fullsize USP 45. The mechanical recoil reduction system works very well. But it's really too big for my hands to carry in a ccw role. Will make a fine dedicated home defense gun, though. I did notice right off that the grip is SO "raspy" it chafed my hands on a long range session. So I put a Hogue Hand-All on and it solved that problem. I was wondering if the compact USP suffered from the same condition.

For me it seems to be more of the gun than the caliber that determines recoil(to a point). My first pistol was a sig 229 in .40 which I still have and is my favorite of all my handguns. The thing about the 229 is its fairly heavy and seems to soak up more recoil than all the polymer guns. My taurus pt111 in 9mm seems to recoil more and have much more muzzle flip than the sig, but its tons lighter as well. Everything is a trade off in shooting and pistol weight seems to be it for me. But then again I learned handgunning on a .40 so everything else seems pretty light on recoil.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links