Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me. - Page 6

Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me.

This is a discussion on Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i added a g 23 to my collection 4 months ago i don't realize any more kick than a taurus millenium .45acp i can unload ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me.

i added a g 23 to my collection 4 months ago i don't realize any more kick than a taurus millenium .45acp i can unload magazine in com 25 feet away no problem i love it

I shot a 92D and a 96D side by side with Speer GD. I noticed more muzzle flash and recoil w/40. Shot them both in the dark w/out ear muffs (don't try this at home) and felt more loss of hearing and night vision f/40. Sold the 40's,kept the 9's. Same comparison w/9 and 45acp;keeping 45's putting 9mm's up for sale/trade for more 45's.
    YMMV

My HK USP 45 has less kick than my Sig2340 if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I'm seriously considering a Sig P229 in 40 (the SAS version with the DAK trigger) and I'm curious as to whether you feel the H&K USPc had the most felt recoil between the two. Was there a lot of barrel rise on both or more on one? Do you have small, medium or large hands? Which one fills your hands most comfortably? I have smallish hands. I have a Glock M27 that kicks only moderately. I'm good with it, but better when I move (sounds like the Sundance Kid) as opposed to static target shooting. But I have heard and read (from other reviews) that the grip for the P229 is hand filling enough to effectively spread felt recoil over the whole hand....

I have a fullsize USP 45. The mechanical recoil reduction system works very well. But it's really too big for my hands to carry in a ccw role. Will make a fine dedicated home defense gun, though. I did notice right off that the grip is SO "raspy" it chafed my hands on a long range session. So I put a Hogue Hand-All on and it solved that problem. I was wondering if the compact USP suffered from the same condition.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Before you give up on the .40 S&W, try changing the grips and the recoil spring. The latter will affect the felt recoil. My .40 is a compact EAA Witness steel. It's a bit heavy for a cheap holster, but with a JBP it works great! Another option for a few more dollars is available at activeprogear.com (no financial interest). The ITP line is well concealed, comfortable and you can draw easily when needed.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I recently purchased the .40 Beretta 96FS. Up to that point I have been shooting my S&W .357 with Rems 125g SJHP, so in comparison, the .40 isn't so bad. Of course, I think I have developed Popeye forearms from both of them! :-)

My Walther P99QA .40 (full size) has less perceived recoil than my Kel Tec P3ATs .380 to me. It is fun & accurate to shoot but a little too big for me to consistently and comfortably CCW. I shot both today side by side the .40 is more comfortable to shoot.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Well this is interesting! Here we are some long time, dyed in the wool gun types and for the most part we don't care that much for the .40 cal. but .40 is the most popular LE round. I'm not sure how to explain that.
    I'd settle for someone explaining what factors would make the .40 recoil "snappier" than cartridges that are known to produce more power (i.e. ft/lbs energy out the muzzle, with heavier bullets).

I don't know nearly squat about ballistics. I'm trying to understand what would push the pistol back harder and/or faster with a .40 than with a 10mm or a .45. Would it be more of a function of the gun itself? (We're talking a lot about polymer techno-whiz guns when we talk about .40 these days.)

If someone loaded a 1911 with some sort of .40 conversion kit, are we all saying, here, that the recoil/muzzle flip would worsen (to whatever degree)? If so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I'd settle for someone explaining what factors would make the .40 recoil "snappier" than cartridges that are known to produce more power (i.e. ft/lbs energy out the muzzle, with heavier bullets).

I don't know nearly squat about ballistics. I'm trying to understand what would push the pistol back harder and/or faster with a .40 than with a 10mm or a .45. Would it be more of a function of the gun itself? (We're talking a lot about polymer techno-whiz guns when we talk about .40 these days.)

If someone loaded a 1911 with some sort of .40 conversion kit, are we all saying, here, that the recoil/muzzle flip would worsen (to whatever degree)? If so, why?
    The .40 S&W is a high pressure high energy round. It doesn't come close to a full house 10mm in terms of energy, but it does have more ft/lbs of energy than most .45 acp loads (at least standard pressure loads). A standard .45acp from a 5'' barrel is 230 grains at 850 fps is about 370 ft/lbs. A standard .40 s&w from a 4'' barrel is 180 grains at 990 fps for 390 ft/lbs of energy. So for me the .40 is no slouch as far as sheer energy is concerned especially if you're dealing with shorter barreled guns.

The gun is part of it also Peak pressure and time it take the cartridge to reach peak pressure effects felt recoil

See a 45 is a low pressure round and has a nice soft pressure curve

where as the 40 spikes reallll fast and is a high pressure round

While my g22 now gone did off a lot of muzzle whip and felt recoil

my G20 does not i could shoot handloaded full power rounds [not the light loaded stuff on shelves these days ] Faster and more accurate with the 10mm than i could the 40 yes the g20 is a bigger glock but its still Tupperware

I have had a Sig 229 in 40
    Glock 22
    Shot a sigma a bunch in 40
    shot a Hk in 40 a bit
    and all just feel to snappy to both with ill still to old slow and fat 45

Also why use a cartridge that isn't as accurate .. all the gun rags say the 40 isn't ..lol

But if ya like a 40 more power to ya and ya dont have to worry about me buying the ammo out from under ya there just other things that do the job better for my taste and are not a compromise round

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    My Walther P99QA .40 (full size) has less perceived recoil than my Kel Tec P3ATs .380 to me. It is fun & accurate to shoot but a little too big for me to consistently and comfortably CCW. I shot both today side by side the .40 is more comfortable to shoot.
    ....ditto for me. My P3AT loaded with Corbon 90 grain JHP is very hard to control. Any one of my .40's (including my P99QA) is easier to control as well compared to my Taurus 905CH 9mm revolver, even firing standard velocity 9mm!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

The first time I shot .40 S&W was right after shooting .44 mag out of a S&W model 29... So for me, I didn't really have a problem getting used to the .40, in fact I ran quite a bit or .40 through a G22 that was handed to me at the dueling tree. It kind of got me thinking I should have picked up a 4006 instead of my 5906.

I'm impartial I guess.

MD

My only comment would be that when you say you find the muzzle whip way out of proportion to what the cartridge can do, I'm puzzled as to what you mean. The .40 can do a heck of a lot as thousands of law enforcement agencies and a lot of civilians have found out. I guess I'm prejudiced; I've got 6 .40s.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links