Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me.

This is a discussion on Maybe 40S&W Ain't For Me. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well i have now shot 3 guns in 40 cal Kahr Smith Wesson Sigma Glock 22 Well i just don't think i care for it ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Well i have now shot 3 guns in 40 cal

Kahr
    Smith Wesson Sigma
    Glock 22

Well i just don't think i care for it to be fair ill give the Glock 22 a second change with new recoil spring and Hogue Handall .

I shoot so so with it but notice the muzzle whip is way out of proportion with what the cartridge can do ..

10mm doesn't recoil as harsh nor 45 or 9mm
    I mean jezz i shoot a 500 S&W 4" for fun so i guess i wouldn't say I'm recoil sensitive ..

Most guns have some muzzle whip and a push but the 40 seems to have a lot of whip and crack and seem to slam harder back into the hand..

Maybe it really just isn't for me but i don't understand why it seems worse than any other gun i've shot in a auto pistol..

For controllability it doesn't seem to be as easy to shoot rapidly.. Again maybe with the 2 changes above it'll be better ..

Anyone else not like the 40 for way it feels?

Got other opinions ?

I know 40 runs at a higher peak pressure than other cartridges and i think the way it feels is because of the spiked pressure curve..

So thoughts etc etc ?

Nothing else the frame will make a good 22 kit

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    tho i have tried several over the years i dont even own a .40 anymore , i guess that kind of says it all for me

It does feel different and I can see how .40 S&W wouldn't feel "right" to someone used to other calibers.

I just got used to it. But like I said some time ago, the whole reason I ever got into the caliber was because of the XD platform. It was either 9mm or .40 and which one would you pick... well it doesn't matter because I picked .40.

I figure I should just accept that I am permanently vested in the caliber now and forever unless I ever part with my first XD40. I'll never sell it because it has proven itself to me and there's nothing wrong with it. Now I might give it to somebody I knew for instance, but I am keeping it.

I got shoehorned into the caliber, but found out it's really not such a bad caliber. For a personal defense round it's just fine.

Admittedly, had the XD45ACP been around, I'd have never purchased the XD40.

Plus, if I ever want to, I can shoot .357 SIG out of this gun. I'd never buy a gun chambered in .357 SIG (now watch me go do exactly that) but I wouldn't mind a conversion barrel. And if worse comes to worse it will convert to a 9mm.

I think platform makes a difference too. Kahrs are short with smallish grips. I'll not pass judgment on the Sigma other than to say I'd want a different gun, that's just me. Glocks are Rocks. I daresay if you had shot a nice CZ or XD in .40 you might have liked it at least slightly better. (Flame suit on.)

i doubt it Euc i shoot a glock pretty well and 10mm feels whole lot batter its a cartridge thing

i do know i dont have this problem with 357 sig which i got my eye on one i thinks

I guess i just dont really like the way the cartridge feels

Eh, it's just a bad fit then. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's not like your ever going to find anything besides maybe a Shorty Forty that's just so awesome you must have one that will only be available in .40 S&W.

I just see it as a more logical option for someone like me who just feels better with the slightly beefier cartridge. Being willing to consider a .40 basically means you can consider anything chambered in 9mm, and that's a lot of guns! But there's plenty of .45s out there to keep most people busy.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Bud what gr bullets were you using in the 40? I noticed when I got my G22 that it was very different in the recoil department. When I tried 180gr bullets it seemed to calm things a bit. Now if you really want to experience a nice shooting Glock give the G37 in 45GAP a try. I think I remember you saying a few times you are not a fan of this caliber. But I think if you give it a try you might just find a new passion. I know I did.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

165 winchester bulk packs is what i was shooting...

Your right i still have no interest in the 45gap if i want a 45 in a glock again ill buy a 21 or if i just want a 45 ill break out the 1911's

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I have both a G21 and a G27 (the subcompact .40). I shot the G21 for a year, found the recoil to be quite mellow. My experience confirms the comments about the G22: the little G27 has quite a jerk.

It doesn't affect my accuracy, though; I shoot about the same with either one. Also after carrying the G21 for a while, it's a pleasant change of pace to switch to the G27.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I have the Taurus PT 24/7 in .40 and it shoots quite smoothly. Doesn't seem to jump that much, at all.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Well I can say this... now that I am fortunate enough to possess nearly identical firing platforms, the key difference being their chambering, I can feel a difference.

The .40 caliber XD recoils back and up. It is nothing you can't learn to handle and it's fairly timid actually.

The .45 caliber XD comes straight back at you. Once again, it's nothing you can't learn to handle and it's mild felt recoil.

Just for reference these are both service models, roughly the same size really.

It feels like roughly the same amount of recoil, except the .40 seems to push in two directions while the .45 concentrates all that force back in one vector. I liken the .40 recoil to being a bit of a "climber" and the 45 to feeling more like holding onto the reins of a powerful animal. That of course makes it sound like the recoil is just terrible and uncontrollable, which is far from the truth.

They do feel different enough that I can understand Bud's point.

Assistant Administrator
    I have avoided .40 so far but have tried it out on other guy's guns. Can't say I disliked it as such but neither did I like a whole lot either.

So - probably will still avoid it - 9mm or .45acp will be my two primes - and happy with that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    So - probably will still avoid it - 9mm or .45acp will be my two primes - and happy with that.
    yes chris ill stick to those too

have to rethink next gun purchase now unless the recoil spring and handall turn it into a different beast

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I shoot an IMI Baby Eagle in the 40 and a Colt Defender in 40 as well. Have noticed that the muzzle will climb up and to the right for me. My 45s don't seem to do this ! I do like the caliber tho.

Administrator

Unhappy The 40

The 40 feels really different to me also. I could get used to it if I shot it more often I guess. I guess that I have the .45 so "stuck" in my brain that I just expect my carry pistol to feel/shoot like that.
    The few times that I shot the 40 I sure did not shoot at my very best.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    The 40 feels really different to me also. I could get used to it if I shot it more often I guess. I guess that I have the .45 so "stuck" in my brain that I just expect my carry pistol to feel/shoot like that.
    The few times that I shot the 40 I sure did not shoot at my very best.
    Thats how i feel Qk it will be either a toilet gun or converted full time to 22

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links