Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mini mag .22lr issue- waxy gunk

5K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Rock and Glock 
#1 ·
Not defensive ammo, but I've been using mini-mags for years to plink.

Today I had a box of the stuff in which about every 6th round had a lump of a soft waxy material built up on the side of each bullet.

Didn't notice the wax at first, but what would happen is the ammo fed ok, but then wouldn't extract. When you looked in, you would see this foreign waxy-paperish looking stuff on the ramp.

I had to peel the wax off some of the bullets with my finger nail before loading the magazine. Once done, everything worked fine.

I've never had anything gunky like that from a brand name manufacturer's stuff.

Anyone else?

#3 ·
you sure the store didn't spill something on them,I can't think of anything that would do that unless they use a lubricant on the cases during manufacturing and it malfunctioned and QC missed it

#4 ·
It was a sealed box.

No, it was a sealed box. Nothing wrong on the outside. I had to use a knife to cut the seal open and slide the cover off. In one of the rounds the bullet wasn't even correctly seated and was turning loosely in the casing.

I'd say about 16% of the box were like that. What a mess. At first I thought it was something coming from my gun, but it was easy to see the waxy gunk on the bullets themselves as I removed them from the plastic case they came in.

I've got another box of Mini Mags and a box of Stingers I bought in the same store at the same time; we'll eventually see if they also have the problem.

I stored this ammo in the same place (same shelf) with .40 (180 and 165gr) and with .380s. There wasn't a hint of anything wrong with the other ammo. The gunk didn't get there at my home.

I've been shooting since I was 10 years old (56 years ago), and I've not seen anything like this before.

#5 ·
I have seen a substance quite similar to a soft wax on a great many different .22's over the years. It was used as a bullet lube on un plated rounds, and sometimes it was rather heavy, so maybe your rounds just got too warm and it sort of all went to one side of the box.

#6 ·
This could be. Some of the Federal ammo I tried had some wax over the lead bullets. I found a plated or washed bullet worked much better if I was shooting large amounts of ammo in one range session. The wax would build up and cause problems on the feeding of the rounds.

#8 ·
I purchased some Russian made 22lr with lead bullets, they had so much wax on them that they would not function in a Ruger 10-22.

I shot them in several guns, cleaned the guns, and put the rest of the Russian crap in the gun case. I think that I will give it away.

Z

#11 ·
No, but we import it from them

Wax is commonly used to cover lead bullets. Your box must of gotten too much was treatment, and with heat in transit, the wax ran all over the bullets.

I’d take them back to where you purchased them, or pitch them in the trash.

#12 ·
tns is correct, the wax is also used as a lube in 22lr rimfire ammunition. Which is typically why most rimfires shoot more accurately after they have had a few rounds through them after being cleaned; what happened was they got a little too much wax treatment and than got warm and the melted wax piled on some of the rounds. You could throw them out, or if you are feeling adventurous you could wipe the wax off the bullets and continue to shoot them.

#15 ·
Gunk, not normal lube

Yes, but my original post referenced waxy gunk, not normal stuff. It had to be removed.

#16 ·
Not defensive ammo, but I've been using mini-mags for years to plink.

Today I had a box of the stuff in which about every 6th round had a lump of a soft waxy material built up on the side of each bullet.

Didn't notice the wax at first, but what would happen is the ammo fed ok, but then wouldn't extract. When you looked in, you would see this foreign waxy-paperish looking stuff on the ramp.

I had to peel the wax off some of the bullets with my finger nail before loading the magazine. Once done, everything worked fine.

I've never had anything gunky like that from a brand name manufacturer's stuff.

Anyone else?
Today I had the same problem with cci mini mags. The incoming round would not fully go into the chamber. Just scrape off with fingernail prior to loading magazine. CCi mini mags are a reliable brand of ammo. must have been a batch or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.