mini mag .22lr issue- waxy gunk

This is a discussion on mini mag .22lr issue- waxy gunk within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not defensive ammo, but I've been using mini-mags for years to plink. Today I had a box of the stuff in which about every 6th ...

Thread: mini mag .22lr issue- waxy gunk

VIP Member

Not defensive ammo, but I've been using mini-mags for years to plink.

Today I had a box of the stuff in which about every 6th round had a lump of a soft waxy material built up on the side of each bullet.

Didn't notice the wax at first, but what would happen is the ammo fed ok, but then wouldn't extract. When you looked in, you would see this foreign waxy-paperish looking stuff on the ramp.

I had to peel the wax off some of the bullets with my finger nail before loading the magazine. Once done, everything worked fine.

I've never had anything gunky like that from a brand name manufacturer's stuff.

Anyone else?

New one on me. I use the same ones occasionally in my P22. Don't ever remember finding gobs of wax on them though...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

you sure the store didn't spill something on them,I can't think of anything that would do that unless they use a lubricant on the cases during manufacturing and it malfunctioned and QC missed it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member

It was a sealed box.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    you sure the store didn't spill something on them,I can't think of anything that would do that unless they use a lubricant on the cases during manufacturing and it malfunctioned and QC missed it
    No, it was a sealed box. Nothing wrong on the outside. I had to use a knife to cut the seal open and slide the cover off. In one of the rounds the bullet wasn't even correctly seated and was turning loosely in the casing.

I'd say about 16% of the box were like that. What a mess. At first I thought it was something coming from my gun, but it was easy to see the waxy gunk on the bullets themselves as I removed them from the plastic case they came in.

I've got another box of Mini Mags and a box of Stingers I bought in the same store at the same time; we'll eventually see if they also have the problem.

I stored this ammo in the same place (same shelf) with .40 (180 and 165gr) and with .380s. There wasn't a hint of anything wrong with the other ammo. The gunk didn't get there at my home.

I've been shooting since I was 10 years old (56 years ago), and I've not seen anything like this before.

I have seen a substance quite similar to a soft wax on a great many different .22's over the years. It was used as a bullet lube on un plated rounds, and sometimes it was rather heavy, so maybe your rounds just got too warm and it sort of all went to one side of the box.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    I have seen a substance quite similar to a soft wax on a great many different .22's over the years. It was used as a bullet lube on un plated rounds, and sometimes it was rather heavy, so maybe your rounds just got too warm and it sort of all went to one side of the box.
    This could be. Some of the Federal ammo I tried had some wax over the lead bullets. I found a plated or washed bullet worked much better if I was shooting large amounts of ammo in one range session. The wax would build up and cause problems on the feeding of the rounds.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    I sort of know what you are talking about. Yes, often there is a very thin amount of wax, even on copper clads. But, this was a bunch*, and at least at my place they were stored vertically so no chance of it going to one side, although that could have happened if the ammo got real hot while being shipped.

I think the problem though was a manufacturing error; especially I think that after noting one bullet loose in the case.
    * not to gross anyone it was like little chunks of ear wax.

Distinguished Member
    I purchased some Russian made 22lr with lead bullets, they had so much wax on them that they would not function in a Ruger 10-22.

I shot them in several guns, cleaned the guns, and put the rest of the Russian crap in the gun case. I think that I will give it away.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

bullet lube
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

spunk?

do we have illegals working in the ammo plants now?

Quote Originally Posted by stoprilshoot View Post
    spunk?

do we have illegals working in the ammo plants now?
    No, but we import it from them

Wax is commonly used to cover lead bullets. Your box must of gotten too much was treatment, and with heat in transit, the wax ran all over the bullets.

Id take them back to where you purchased them, or pitch them in the trash.

tns is correct, the wax is also used as a lube in 22lr rimfire ammunition. Which is typically why most rimfires shoot more accurately after they have had a few rounds through them after being cleaned; what happened was they got a little too much wax treatment and than got warm and the melted wax piled on some of the rounds. You could throw them out, or if you are feeling adventurous you could wipe the wax off the bullets and continue to shoot them.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    No, but we import it from them

Wax is commonly used to cover lead bullets. Your box must of gotten too much was treatment, and with heat in transit, the wax ran all over the bullets.

Id take them back to where you purchased them, or pitch them in the trash.
    Bad idea never just throw away old ammo, there is nothing wrong with a little displaced wax the stuff melts and runs at less than 150 degrees, the powder and primer are stable to much higher temperatures than that, just wipe N shoot.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

normal 22LR bullet lube, keeps the barrel from leading up and gives a tight seal. just keep your rig clean and avoid build up as you have found. It is needed so don't remove it.

VIP Member

Gunk, not normal lube

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjeep View Post
    normal 22LR bullet lube, keeps the barrel from leading up and gives a tight seal. just keep your rig clean and avoid build up as you have found. It is needed so don't remove it.
    Yes, but my original post referenced waxy gunk, not normal stuff. It had to be removed.

Sponsored Links