Defensive Carry banner

My defensive ammo choices for various guns... evaluate please?

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
Ruger LCP .380 - Winchester flat point FMJs

Glock 19 - Gold Dot 124gr +P

Mossberg 500 - Federal Flightcontrol 00 buckshot reduced recoil

converted Saiga AK 7.62x39mm - Wolf Military Classic JHP 124gr

I carry LCP all the time and sometimes glock 19 whenever I feel like it. For home defense, I have the Mossberg under the bed and the AK in the closet.

#3 ·
My comments and opinions:

.380 : I only carried a .380 for a short time until I got scaired by a car load of 5 gangbangers trying to rob me in broad daylight at a ATM when I lived in Florida about 15 years ago. I carried a Colt Ponylight with Remington 102gr Golden Sabres. If you are comfortable with the round count or carry an extra mag I think I agree that the FMJ is the best in .380. I now carry something with a highcap mag with a caliber that starts with 4. Have not had a problem since!

Glock 19: The Gold Dot 124 +P is a fine round. I carry the Winchester Ranger 127 +P+. Either would be OK with me.

In 12 ga: I live in mountainous Colorado and have only had bear problems. I have had many including broken windows. I keep a 12ga with two slugs followed by 3-inch magnum 00-buck. The side saddle ammo carrier has 3 slugs and 3 00-buck so I can always dump a round for what I need. I don't have close neighbors to worry about for over penetration. If human predators are the only threat, the 00-reduced recoil will allow faster follow up shots and is a good choice IMO.

7.62X39: I don't have this as a HD round, but the 124 HP seems reasonable. Like I mentioned I live in the mountains (west of Denver). Never had a human threat here, but possible. Have had definate bear problems, 20 or so over the last 10 years. Other animal surprises have been mountain lion, mule dear, elk and moose, but never a direct threat except for the bears. I keep a 44 mag with 270gr Gold Dot Flat points in handgun for working in the yard, the 12ga as mentioned before and a CZ550 American Magnum in .375 H&H with 270gr Hornaday Light Magnums in the house.

#8 ·
For the LCP, I'd give the Hornady Critical Defense ammo a try and with the G19, Federal HST 147g would be my choice. I just picked up some of that low recoil Federal LE Flightcontrol 00 myself. I'm not sure if I need low recoil with my Saiga 12 but I couldn't find the standard stuff.

#9 ·
+1 also on the Corbon DPX

I use this and also Remington Golden Saber .380; another great choice.

#11 ·
Does anybody alternate various bullets? E.g. in the .380 case: a FMJ wiht a hollow point? That way you are set for either case? Or is this a bad idea?

#13 ·
This is the way I stoke my PT58. Hydro Shock out first, then the Win. flat tip, then another Hydro Shock, etc., 20 rds. If the hollow points don't get in deep enough then the FMJ will!

#14 ·
razz, sounds like ya got it covered. You can use hollow points in your .380, along with your FMJ. Just mix em up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.