.38 vs. .380 The battle of the mouseguns! - Page 2

.38 vs. .380 The battle of the mouseguns!

This is a discussion on .38 vs. .380 The battle of the mouseguns! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; in my youth growing up in S.Calif. I knew a man who was a fed. l.e.o.He was once shot in the head by a drug ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    in my youth growing up in S.Calif. I knew a man who was a fed. l.e.o.He was once shot in the head by a drug smugglling b.g . The b.g.was armed with a little .380 pistol. The force of the impact to his head nor the wound did not stop him as he was able to draw his duty weapon and return fire, killing the suspect instantly. My l.e.o. friend was armed with a 2''Colt python.357 loaded with .38Sp. ammo made by Hi-Vel,Any one remember them?The .380 bullet he was struck with was a FMJ. and all it did was knock a big nasty gash in his head. Ny friend went to the hospital and the b.g went to the L.A. county mourge. This happened back in the 70's. Flash foreward to the mid90"s .I am working for the Tx dept of Corrections and my partner his a N.D. with hisB.U.G. it is a .380 Bersa loaded with PMC Starfireammo. This round penetrated his living room wall, the outside wall, composed of cinder block, and proceeded to blow out the lt front tire on his pick-up truck. I guess what i am trying to say is that if your"mouse gun " is fed right it can bite as hard as a big old nasty sewer rat.

I'll take a .38 sp over the 9mm Kurtz anyday. The 380 is a viable option to a stern look and harsh words as somebody further up the thread mentions, but so is a .22LR and some decent shot placement. I used to have a Beretta M84 in 380 (it was the wife's 1st gun) until my wife demanded I get rid of it and giver her MY 45 Government model! That was not gonna happen so I sold the M84 and got her a 45 Commander and it's good ever since.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Ex -your wife has excellent tate sir.

Definately the .38 there are some really hot +P stuff avilable. The .380 while a nice carry gun just is not very hot even in +P.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by paknheat
    made by Hi-Vel,Any one remember them?
    I think you're referring to Super-Vel and I have about 500 rds of 45ACP in Super-Vel with the Speer 200 gr "Flying Ashtray" bullets.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I believe you are correct Ex. That incident occured when I was pretty young. The point I was trying to make was that 30 some odd years ago the 38 was definetly enough to solve that problem. But with todays manufacturing , the .380 has come a long way. I still don't carry one . All my recent carry guns begin with the #4. I wonder if the Super -vel stuff has collectable status like the Black Talon?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    collectable i donno but somewhere around here i have a box of .44 mag super vel ( unopened ) lol

Lead Moderator
    With the new 9mm compact guns, I would opt for a 9 over either .38 or .380

Thanks for the replys. I was concidering useing my .380 as my back-up, instead of my .38. But based on your advice, Im sticking with the .38. I would love to get a compact 9mm, but cash is tight right now.

Greg, good thoughts , personaly i am now ( yea i drank the koolaid ) carrying a p3at in my pocket and a kahr pm9 as primairy .. its easyer for me than a fullsize

I tell ya what, I would not consider anything above a .32 a mouse gun. The .38 round is not nor will ever be a mouse gun. I tell ya what, stand in front of me while I squeeze off a few hot Speer Gold Dots and you tell me then if it is a mouse gun. My opinion is this for civilian purposes the .38 is fine and more than enough gun. I like carrying my snub nose in 38 because I carry it without ever noticing it. I can drop it in my jacket prior to going to the Gym or toss it in my parka when I run out for milk.

However, I am off track, back to the topic whew... if this was the sand bowl and most vets know what I am saying I would not even consider taking anything less than a 9mm (it is not that great in paradise itself) why because I will be more than likely squeezing off more than 2 or three rounds if my rifle is down. Anyway, I think calling the .38 a mouse gun is probably a bad name. Now, I had a .380 and that was a small round be it not much smaller than a .38, and I would not carry a .380. Just my 2cents.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Okay, confession time too, I also carry a Kel-Tec P3AT when dressed up for church, etc. It's the ease of carry that does it. This gun make 2 trips back to the factory but is reliable now with certain ammo. When I can carry more I carry a Kahr P9. Eventually I'd like to get a micro or ultra-compact .45 1911. Lifestyle, dress, and body all have a lot to do with what we can really carry. I do think the .380 is a nominally effective round if it's what you're going to have in your pocket versus nothing.

Let's face it, it's hard to carry a significant round when in dress clothes in warm weather. It all boils down to what you wear for a cover garment. If all I wore was jeans and untucked shirts, it would be EASY, but I don't dress that way which is a personal choice so I carry what i can and the KelTec is easy to carry. Having said that, I do worry about how unreliable it was before....

Tough choices and that's what they really are, choices...

God Bless

Gideon

for me it boils down to rule 1. Have a Gun , i am 6 foot tall and slinder ( slightly under 200 lbs with a mid 30s waist ) couple that with the fact that i shoot a small auto better than i shoot a small revolver ( with the possible exception of colt ds/agent ) and it makes the .380 a better bet for ME i am both more likley to have it on me and more likely to be confident of my abilitys with it , the kel-tech is carryed as a bug only , i do have a walther ppk/s that i carried as primairy untill i got the pm9 that will shoot with it and is more effective in a slightly smaller size , my back and my build factors into what is right for ME given rule 1 lol

I tell ya what, stand in front of me while I squeeze off a few hot Speer Gold Dots and you tell me then if it is a mouse gun.
    Leme think, umm.... nah. I wouldnt even want you to give me a stern look and harsh words .

I think the FEG will just live in my jacket. Or carry in my pants pocket, when I have to tuck my shirt in.
    I havnt even tryed to point shoot it. I think my finger might block a spent case from being ejected from the port. I know my snubby is a good point shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    With the new 9mm compact guns, I would opt for a 9 over either .38 or .380
    I don't know about that rocky... I keep looking for one that would work for me, but I don't like tiny autoloaders because of small parts, etc. About the closest thing I've found to being worth my consideration is the P11 and I've too many doubts about the quality.

Not to mention one thing I like to do with my small gun is carry it in a jacket pocket in the cold months... I'm afraid if I shot through it the self loader wouldn't cycle.

A small .38 wheelgun solves a lot of those problems.

Of course there is a reason you don't see the 9mm SP101s come up for sale very often!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links