.38 vs. .380 The battle of the mouseguns! - Page 3

.38 vs. .380 The battle of the mouseguns!

This is a discussion on .38 vs. .380 The battle of the mouseguns! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; eucl i just sold a taurus 9mm snubby fairly cheap , just a thought they built 2 versions , a standard j frame size and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .38 vs. .380 The battle of the mouseguns!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    eucl i just sold a taurus 9mm snubby fairly cheap , just a thought they built 2 versions , a standard j frame size and a fiew with the shortened frame to fit the 9mm load , mine was standard length and a good shooter ( stepson needed it tho )

Taurus really could have had something there if the QC on that model had been a little bit better.

taurus qc is getting better every day it seems , they have went from jennings / ravon status to a worth owning gun in the last 10 years , heck i will give them a try anymore which is a change from what they used to be lol

Assistant Administrator
    Just a Taurus addition - I am sure they have indeed improved a lot over recent years - apart tho it seems (sometimes) from cust service.

My real old, beat-up and carry-worn M85 is a great snub - still does great. The M66 too was I have to admit - sweet out the box as any Smith. The machining of the ratchets is not as crisp as a Smith and it's a seven shot (never will get used to that!) - but it shoots great - wife is spot on with it and - it lives tucked away in the house as a house gun.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My issue with Taurus is they try to make so much stuff, they wind up missing the mark on a lot of it. The model 905 was something I was interested in until I began to hear about them locking up, timing being bad, etc. There was a thread on thehighroad some time ago where a guy sent his in 3 times and it never got fixed.

Of course some owners chimed in and said theirs worked fine, but a lot of them also said they'd gotten rid of it.

You'll notice they made that model for what, 2 years?

QC is spotty across their product line. You have to go read up on each individual model. That's the problem. That, and with some exceptions, they try to get by on making reasonably priced but serviceable clones of other people's guns. A lot of times "the real thing" is just a smidge more.

I consider them in all my purchases and have yet to buy one of their products. I give them just as much chance but S&W Colt and Ruger take care of me in revolvers and Springfield Armory takes care of me in autoloaders.

eucl i will state that i can take almost any make / model of firearm and if i look on the internet i will not buy it , the internet is full of whiners who seem to look at it as a personal soapbox. i have owned a lot of " problem guns" and just traded for a fresh one , i expect it to work fine, it cant be just me that only gets one out of 700 or so diff guns as a lemon , most out there are fine no matter what is expressed online , i dont make it a point to go post " heya all my colt woodsman still works fine " but ya may find a bunch of forums dealing with problems with them beyond " how do i reassimble this little razor edged blued steel jig saw puzzle thats under spring pressure" lol anyway just my thoughts on some of the net stuff

gregarat: Throw all thoughts of carrying a .380 handgun for CCW out the window. Go get you a S&W j-frame snubby airweight like the 442,642,638 and load one of them up with .38 special +P ammo and make sure shot placement is expert. THATS ALL YOU NEED!!

Oh, I already have a snuby .38

As everyone has already said, .38+P does offer a bit more. But. The Seecamp/NAA .380's are far more concealable (therefore more likely to be real EDCs). The one advantage the revolver has is muzzle contact- it can't be made inoperative if you shove it into someone.

Awhile ago I decided to carry my .380 when I have to tuck my shirt in. I carry my .38 all other times.

Rob72: Nothing beats a S&W j-frame airweight as an EDC piece, nothing.

Both will work if you have worked out all the bugs in the guns. Remember it is not what you carry, just carry something. Any gun in hand is better that two at home or in the car.
    frankmako

VIP Member
    While I'd rather not get hit with even FMJ rounds in either caliber, my first choice would be the .38 Spl +P rounds for personal defense.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

.38 is my choice

I would not feel underarmed with a .38 special and that would be my choice loaded with +P hollowpoints. Although the PPK is a great pistol I have read that it is real finicky when it comes to ammo. Some loads cause it to choke.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebla
    Rob72: Nothing beats a S&W j-frame airweight as an EDC piece, nothing.
    I'll agree to disagree! I've worked up a couple of J frames that were simply awesome- "Oiled glass" triggers, high-polish flutes on matte body, with 11 degree crowns, Uncle-Mikes boot grips, and Bianchi strips. Beautiful and beastly!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links