Why carry a .380??? - Page 2

Why carry a .380???

This is a discussion on Why carry a .380??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some folks simply can't handle the recoil of anything more than a .32 ACP or .380 ACP. Some of the larger .380's such as the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why carry a .380???

VIP Member
    Some folks simply can't handle the recoil of anything more than a .32 ACP or .380 ACP. Some of the larger .380's such as the various Berettas or Sig P232 are tailor made for some of those folks.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

There are simply times when a more discreet carry is called for - where an apparent weapon would, at the very least, raise eyebrows. My new LCP fills that need. At all other times either my G-36 or G-27 will be in my Don Hume IWB.
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

Ok, I understand. It looks like the most cited reason is concealability. I got it. The P3AT is very small, but it just doesn't seem that much smaller than say the PM9. I can fit my PM9 in the pocket of any pair of pants that I owne, even shorts in the summer.

But what it all comes down to is, you carry what you are comfortable and proficient with. Whatever works for the individual, carry in good health...

While there is size to consider, there is also weight. While my Kahr PM-9 isn't physically much larger than my LCP it weighs almost twice as much. There are simply times when the size/weight combination of the 380 can't be beat.

I also agree with JD 100%. Improvements in bullet design have made the 380 a legitimate close range self defense caliber.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I recently purchased a Sig P232 .380 for summer carry. I normally carry a .45 in the winter due to its better penetration through heavier clothing and such. The .380 will give me a lighter gun to carry with better concealability than my 1911. IMO, with the proper ammunition and placed in the hands of a proficient shooter, the .380 is just as capable as my .45acp. The only issue I can see is due to the thickness of clothing. Thats why it will be my summer gun.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Gee, if the 380 is so bad... Somebody needs to tell everyone the Germans killed in WW2 with a 32 and a 380 to get back up......

hollow point, Corbon is a great round for a 380.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

I carried a .380 in a sig p230 for a while. It made a great carry gun, light, easy to conceal, holds enough ammo to finish most fights. that gun was a lot easier to control than most small 9mm's for me as i have small stubbie hands.

Gee, if the 380 is so bad... Somebody needs to tell everyone the Germans killed in WW2 with a 32 and a 380 to get back up......
    You can kill someone with a brick too, but that doesn't make it a good self defense weapon.

VIP Member
    Some days I carry the j frame, some days I carry a PPK 380. Why the 380? Nothing else I have found (except the j frame) conceals as well, fits my hand as well, is as accurate, and goes bang EVERY time the trigger is pulled. It is a choice I find very comforting.

The 380 round like the Cor Bon DPX is a good defensive round and there are many nice small CCW out there. I like my Bersa 380 which is really nice to shoot and very accurate. The main drawback right now is that 380 ammo is getting really hard to find while the 9mm is still fairly plentiful. At this time I would rather buy a small 9mm rather then a 380.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    While there is size to consider, there is also weight. While my Kahr PM-9 isn't physically much larger than my LCP it weighs almost twice as much. There are simply times when the size/weight combination of the 380 can't be beat.

I also agree with JD 100%. Improvements in bullet design have made the 380 a legitimate close range self defense caliber.

Hoss
    I concur. The only drawback right now is a limited supply of .380 ammo. For those of us that stocked up before the panic buying this is not an issue (yet).

My thoughts on why a .380

Well I can and do carry a full size auto but I technically am not allowed to carry at work so I leave it in my truck. I am personally thinking of getting a Ruger LCP for pocket carry so I can carry when leaving the truck without constantly removing and re rigging. just drop it in the pocket and go. Best option? no but a whole lot better than my guns in my truck.

Thumbs up It's less reach for trigger control with double stacks!

My wife couldn't confortably reach the trigger in a proper manner with any other double stack than a .380.

She wanted a double stack for home use for several reasons.

You can never put too many rounds into a bad guy for sure. Recoil was also considerably less than other choices.

But her reasoning was a little different still than most. It went like this:

(We ended up with a Browning BDA380 - 14 shot pocket rocket. Best gun I ever had, bar none!)

Holed up in the bedroom with bad guys in the house, you could put 4 rounds into the ceiling and shout out "There's plenty more where that came from." No compliance allows for 4 more into the bedroom door with a shout out "There's plenty more where that came from."

No compliance allowed for another 6 rounds of well chosen, state of the art, .380 lead for anyone coming into the bedroom - a very adequate amount of remaining ammo at bedroom distances IMO.

Hard to argue with her reasoning.

Anyway - she didn't have very, very small hands in the first place and that still was her choice.

Something to think about for anyone really.

A nice, quality, double stack .380 would conceal better than almost any high capacity 9mm and be more comfortable to shoot in an emergency (as well as practice) . Half dozen rounds center mass with no muzzle flip for fast recovery between shots is a lot of protection to put downrange in about 3 seconds. Having a bunch more for a second and third burst is a nice bonus.

It's not my personal first choice. But, if it works well for someone for some reason of their own, it's a good choice for them.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiHerd View Post
    ... why carry a .380 for self defense?
    The specific mix of reliability, number of rounds, ergonomics, size, weight, durability, cost, applicability given mode of carry and dress. What one person believes works for him or her doesn't work for everyone.

I simply love the Kahr PM9's overall size and controllability. For a micro 9mm, it's hard to beat. Trouble is, the one I had was fraught with reliability issues, at least until it had gone back to Kahr for a massage. But, by then I had lost confidence. If not the Kahr PM9, which is frankly on the upper end of size for pocket carry, I'm relegated to one of several .380 options. It's based on what's available in the market.

You can kill someone with a brick too, but that doesn't make it a good self defense weapon.
    The implication being that .380 is insufficient. Reality is, there are plenty of stories of crimes being stopped by .380 weapons. Can't recall having ever seen a story of a crime having succeeded despite the criminal having been hit with several .380 rounds. Doesn't mean anything other than: it's mostly myth, that a given caliber can't do the job. It comes down to mindset, determination, control of the situation, shot placement, number of rounds on target. Only one factor involved in stopping a crime is the depth of penetration sufficient to eliminate a vital organ. Stopping a crime depends far more on the other factors.

... all of the new sub-compact 9's and .40's on the market have made the underpowered .380 an outdated has-been.
    Sure, all things being equal, who wouldn't want greater firepower? But then, concealed carry and remaining unobtrusive is a sieve with only certain options for many folks. .380 has been around for a long, long time. It has been reasonably effective. Given a choice that must work with a given person's situation, it's not an unreasonable choice. It is what it is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    On the flip side of the coin - some of the recent advancements in bullet/cartridge & bullet jacket design in combination with reconfigured hollow point designs and modern bullet metal alloys - greatly improve expansion and combined with newer propellants have helped to keep the .380 a still viable (though admittedly low end) self~defense option.
    +1 Yep!

Shot placement's very important also. My Sig 230 is accurate and very reliable.
    Not that I'd ever think of carrying a .22 pistol, but people have been shot dead by .22 hollow point also. Neither would I carry .25 or .32cal.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links