Why carry a .380??? - Page 3

Why carry a .380???

This is a discussion on Why carry a .380??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Its not the .380 I like, its the FRAME of the gun, the small compactness of the gun. I had to sacrifice the 9mm for ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why carry a .380???

Its not the .380 I like, its the FRAME of the gun, the small compactness of the gun. I had to sacrifice the 9mm for the smaller frame of the .380
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Knox View Post
    But her reasoning was a little different still than most. It went like this:

(We ended up with a Browning BDA380 - 14 shot pocket rocket. Best gun I ever had, bar none!)

Holed up in the bedroom with bad guys in the house, you could put 4 rounds into the ceiling and shout out "There's plenty more where that came from." No compliance allows for 4 more into the bedroom door with a shout out "There's plenty more where that came from."

No compliance allowed for another 6 rounds of well chosen, state of the art, .380 lead for anyone coming into the bedroom - a very adequate amount of remaining ammo at bedroom distances IMO.

Hard to argue with her reasoning.
    Hard to argue with her reasoning?
    I would never waste any rounds, period. If you want to intimidate with noise, try shouting, "I've called 911, go away!"

If I'm a bad guy I might be thinking I know more that I really do. I might decide to come through the door after 8+ wasted rounds thinking you are not serious about shooting me. Now you must rely on your ability to make stopping shots under extremely stressful conditions.

You might want to rethink your plan.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

JD
    Administrator
    I missed this part earlier,
    "I personally think that all of the new sub-compact 9's and .40's on the market have made the underpowered .380 an outdated has-been. Just curious."

It appears as the rest of the firearms industry is thinking otherwise, what with the LCP, Kahr P380, Magnum Research .380, and the new Sig 238....pay particular attention to the Kahr, as they OWN the pocket 9 and .40 field of the gun market with the PM40 and PM9. If the .380 really was on it's way out, Kahr wouldn't even bother.

The .380 still fills a specific need to the firearms community, that being a really, really small package.

VIP Member
    I kinda think the .380's problem isn't with itself as much as it's with those who carry it as their primary weapon and don't spend much time learning to shoot it well! It's a poor target gun but it wasn't designed to be one so it doesn't really inspire anyone to want to shoot it a lot. With modern ammo, a well placed pair of .380 rounds WILL do the job!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Q: Why carry a .380?

A: It's more effective than harsh language, or a disapproving glare.

(I personally prefer CCW pistols in calibers that begin with "4", but.....)

A good pocket 9mm or .40 S&W costs about twice as much as a good .380, with the Keltec PF-9 being the exception. I actually agree that if one owned both a 9mm and a .380, the 9mm should get the nod over the .380. However the Ruger LCP and Keltec P3AT and Kahr PM380 are hard to beat when the ambient temperature outside is 80 degrees plus.
    God bless our troops!

'Nuff said......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I use my P3AT in .380, as it is the lightest, smallest gun I can easily carry in my pocket just about anywhere / anytime ( where legal of curse ) The whole point of being armed, is being armed, not leaving your gun behind because it did not fit your particular situation or circumstance. My lifestyle does not allow me to always have my Glock on my hip. Can't do it at the office or business functions.
    But, m new LCP or Keltec can easily come along. .380 can get the job done, if called up on. There is no MAGIC handgun that will instantly drop a BG under any circumstances. Anyone who discounts the .380, I invite to take one or 2 in COM and see how you feel then.

Because for those hours of the day that I am at work, my Keltec P3AT in my front pocket is the only way I can be armed and absolutely certain that I am concealed.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    Because for those hours of the day that I am at work, my Keltec P3AT in my front pocket is the only way I can be armed and absolutely certain that I am concealed.
    The .380 ACP definitely has its place.

I'm with Martial Archer on this topic. I'm no fan of the .380 ACP and pretty well loathe polymer and DAO pistol designs but the Kel Tec was uniquely sized when it was first introduced. Fits a hidey hole like no other comparable handgun. For its size, it offers a lot more "starch" than does the Colt Model 1908 .25 ACP that I previously employed on rare occasions when space was at a premium.

The Colt is honorably retired. When one considers how really tiny the Colt Model 1908 actually is then the P3AT's value looms large.

As has been said, the .380 is not my choice of cartridges, but the size and weight of the P3AT combined with the power of the .380 cause me to carry the KT more than any other gun.
    It is not fun to shoot, but I seem to carry my guns more than I shoot them so when I run to the store it is nearly always the .380.

Today, one of my best friends, whom I sometimes help, was teaching a CHL class. I went to the class for a few minutes to show some holsters, and belts. I wore my Kimber steel compact .45 in a Comp-tac paddle holster as all the holsters I took were for that gun. It did not take me long to remember why I almost never carry a steel 1911.

Regards,
    Jerry

the size is why i do. my p3at is hard to beat.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Althought I don't carry it, I/we do have a Walther PPKs what my wife will sometime carry, it is a great size, and in all honesty with the right ammo not a bad defensive option. Althought I do prefer a .40 or .45. I think that most who carry a .380 is due to size and weight, and have never been in a situation were they believed they would need to pull it, or they would have moved to a larger round... Just my .02 cents.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Like many others on this chain, I carry the KT P3AT when I can't carry something else.

My normal carry is a G19, and sometimes a 1911, but I often wear suit, and sometimes a tux. With the P3AT in my pocket in a Kramer, I can carry without any concern that ANYONE (including my wife) will know that I am carrying.

A little P-spray and the Kel-Tec and I am OK for a fancy night out.

According to Major Boothroyd in the first 007 adventure flick "DR. NO" the .380 Walther PPK is superior to Bond's current pick of firearms (Beretta 25) because:

"It hits like a brick through a plate glass window and the American CIA swear by them...."

I am very much afraid that many many gun owners select this caliber because they dimly remember this very old movie line (from the early 1960s).

A P3AT may be better than harsh language or a glare (although many high school teachers and moms would disagree) but it's better still to pack something more substantial like a S&W M642 in a Miko pocket holster.

Remember very few of these pocket rockets are designed to be used outside of contact range, 10 feet at the most.

As Clint Smith once said: carrying a concealed firearm is supposed to be comforting, not necessarily comfortable.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links