Why carry a .380??? - Page 4

Why carry a .380???

This is a discussion on Why carry a .380??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ex, if anyone ever honestly uses James Bond as a legitimate reason, they need to be beaten with a rubber hose and water boarded. As ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why carry a .380???

JD
    Administrator
    Ex, if anyone ever honestly uses James Bond as a legitimate reason, they need to be beaten with a rubber hose and water boarded. As for the .38 vs. .380, why stop there, why not carry a .357 Magnum in a J-frame instead of the supposedly anemic .38Spcl+P? It's the same size as a 642, if we're going to run out one round as being more "substantial" the .38 wouldn't be my choice.

With all due respect, the line begins...
    "7.65 mil with a delivery like a brick through a plate glass window".
    I believe 7.65 is a 32, not a 380.
    Of course, this has nothing to do with
    the original question...
    Why carry a .380???

Quote Originally Posted by AntiHerd View Post
    P3AT is very small, but it just doesn't seem that much smaller than say the PM9.
    the P3At isn't much smaller... but why go up to a bigger, heavier gun and still have a puny cartridge?

Or, in other words; Your assumption that a 9mm is sufficient where a 380 is not... That's the part that's causing you confusion.

Please note: I don't want to get into the religious war of caliber choice... I'm just noting that the original poster is making an assumption that is causing him confusion. - All I'm saying is that if you think a 9mm is good, then the 380 isn't much different. and in particular, it isn't so different that a 9mm is worth such a bigger form-factor.
    I'm just not using flowery language to hide the fact that _I_ don't have that belief.

Heisenberg may have slept here

I carry a Ruger LCP simply as backup, it's not my primary carry weapon. But, it's a nice walk the dog weapon, or a weapon for a quick trip out at night to pick up milk or something like that.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Ex, if anyone ever honestly uses James Bond as a legitimate reason, they need to be beaten with a rubber hose and water boarded. As for the .38 vs. .380, why stop there, why not carry a .357 Magnum in a J-frame instead of the supposedly anemic .38Spcl+P? It's the same size as a 642, if we're going to run out one round as being more "substantial" the .38 wouldn't be my choice.
    Actually, I would advocate a 357 but I think the sacrifices in muzzle velocity and muzzle energy & the humongous recoil/noise/muzzle blast negate all the good stuff. Especially where frame size and weight make the difference. Even for an experienced shooter, it's a negligible improvement in a snub nose. For a novice the 357 snubbie makes no sense at all.

In a situation where I dumped five rounds or 38+P into the center of mass (not talking any head shots here) I'd be much more certain of a favorable outcome as opposed to even twice that number of .380. Of course, I would not want to be on the receiving end of either!

Technically a 380 is a 9mm kurz or "short." I think the 9mm is at the lowest end of acceptability for self defense IMHO & I also stand opposed to opening up the caliber wars! But when I instruct for ccw permits, I advise against anything smaller than a 9mm +P.

A 38+P also offers more muzzle blast and in the instance of a contact wound I'd feel better with the avulsion such would cause to the flesh in that region. The revolver is also much less liable to jam after the first shot due to pushing the slide out of battery (remember, contact shot). That short a range is more often the norm than the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    With all due respect, the line begins...
    "7.65 mil with a delivery like a brick through a plate glass window".
    I believe 7.65 is a 32, not a 380.
    Of course, this has nothing to do with
    the original question...
    Why carry a .380???
    Yeah, I was thinking that very thing, but without going back to reviewing the actual scene I think I did alright for an ol fogey.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeline View Post
    Althought I don't carry it, I/we do have a Walther PPKs what my wife will sometime carry, it is a great size, and in all honesty with the right ammo not a bad defensive option.Just my .02 cents.
    Q: Nearly EVERY PPKs I have ever fired (dry or live) has had an atrocious trigger weight in the neighborhood of 12+ pounds DA. Yours? Or did you have it worked on?

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    A good pocket 9mm or .40 S&W costs about twice as much as a good .380, with the Keltec PF-9 being the exception. I actually agree that if one owned both a 9mm and a .380, the 9mm should get the nod over the .380. However the Ruger LCP and Keltec P3AT and Kahr PM380 are hard to beat when the ambient temperature outside is 80 degrees plus.
    A good 38 snubnose can be had for less than a quality 380. Especially the P3AT, but in that case it's less an issue of cost than availability! Obviously many folks here agree and so Kahr and Keltec are having a hard time keeping their shelves (and dealer's shelves) stocked. That's fine. Each to their own. I just wouldn't carry a 380. Nor would I so recommend.
    Last edited by JD; February 17th, 2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiHerd View Post
    If it is a financial reason or just what you are comfortable with then I understand, but if not, why carry a .380 for self defense? No offense to the .380 proponents out there but I personally think that all of the new sub-compact 9's and .40's on the market have made the underpowered .380 an outdated has-been. Just curious.
    Would you stand down range from it?

Didn't think so

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Hard to argue with her reasoning?
    I would never waste any rounds, period. If you want to intimidate with noise, try shouting, "I've called 911, go away!"

If I'm a bad guy I might be thinking I know more that I really do. I might decide to come through the door after 8+ wasted rounds thinking you are not serious about shooting me. Now you must rely on your ability to make stopping shots under extremely stressful conditions.

You might want to rethink your plan.
    Howard:

It's certainly not MY plan, for sure.

Still........it'd take a real pair to stay in the house, much less go farther into the lion's lair after all that shooting IMO.

She's my EX wife and it's her and her husband's plan now.

(She took my favorite .380 with her when she went out the door. Sure do miss that gun!)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links