Why carry a .380???

This is a discussion on Why carry a .380??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If it is a financial reason or just what you are comfortable with then I understand, but if not, why carry a .380 for self ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why carry a .380???

Why carry a .380???

If it is a financial reason or just what you are comfortable with then I understand, but if not, why carry a .380 for self defense? No offense to the .380 proponents out there but I personally think that all of the new sub-compact 9's and .40's on the market have made the underpowered .380 an outdated has-been. Just curious.

2. Remove Ads

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    My P3AT disappears in the front pocket of any pair of slacks I own, that is the only reason I like the .380 ACP. I prefer my G27 but sometimes dress code requirements make the 27 very difficult to carry.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Administrator
    On the flip side of the coin - some of the recent advancements in bullet/cartridge & bullet jacket design in combination with reconfigured hollow point designs and modern bullet metal alloys - greatly improve expansion and combined with newer propellants have helped to keep the .380 a still viable (though admittedly low end) self~defense option.

There still isn't a 9 as small as the P3AT.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Pistol size and the ability to conceal it better. My Bersa Thunder is much easier to conceal than any of my other pistols in 9mm or 45. Sorry don't have any 40's. But the Bersa is a large gun in comparison to some of the other 380's out there.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

P3AT can go anywhere... even my PF9 is a little too bulky for the pocket. IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

as pointed out before: sometimes a 9mm is just too big. Also: a .380 may give you more rounds = more chances to score a hit. And some people find the .380 easier to handle. No point in carrying a .40 if you can't shoot it straight enough.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Small size for concealed carry when nothing else will do. That's a good valid reason for small .380's.

I left slightly larger guns at home and went unarmed before getting myself a small .380 for those times.

Pick your ammo with care and it becomes adequate, if less than ideal.

jfl
    When I started to have arthritis in my wrist, I considered getting a .380; those I tried were blow-back design and had about the same flip as my G-26. I ended up putting a ported barrel on the Glock and have been happy ever since.
    I am a small frame, 5' 8" 145 lbs, carry the G-26 everyday everywhere (legal); I compromised a little with my wardrobe, I buy my pants 1 size larger and that's about it...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

1943 - 2009
    In many cases, it is a financial reason. Many people live on a budget, or live on a fixed income.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member

Personal preference and we aren't all the same

Quote Originally Posted by AntiHerd View Post
    If it is a financial reason or just what you are comfortable with then I understand, but if not, why carry a .380 for self defense? No offense to the .380 proponents out there but I personally think that all of the new sub-compact 9's and .40's on the market have made the underpowered .380 an outdated has-been. Just curious.
    There is no financial reason to carry a 380. Yes, less expensive to start with but ammo is a lot more expensive than 9mm. So, with practice it evens out.

My reason for .380 is small size ease of concealment.

I own a .40 which is almost as good for concealment as my .380 but still a tad too large. It is amazing what 1 inch in overall length extra does. In my pocket it is the difference between the grip never peeking out the top of the pocket and risking exposure of the weapons.

If and when I find a 9mm that goes into my pants pocket as nicely as my .380 does I would consider changing.

It is always a personal preference issue. That is why there are so many calibers, makes, models, designs.

Same with cars-- lots of makes, models, designs, and everyone has their own preference.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiHerd View Post
    ...but I personally think that all of the new sub-compact 9's and .40's on the market have made the underpowered .380 an outdated has-been. Just curious.
    The size of the bullet no not matter if you hit the right spot...I also don't plan on shooting 50 feet away (hint).

Rick

Depending on how bad my Arthritus gets, I have been known to carry a Sig Mosquito in 22. You adapt as necessary for your Physical& dress condition
    Also have used Kel-tec 380 when needed.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

JD
    Administrator
    Q: Why carry a .380?

A: My Mustangs shoot better than pocket size 9mms or .40s. With either Hornady Critical Def., Remington Golden Sabers, or the Buffalo Bore loading, I feel confident that the .380 will do it's job at 7 yards or less.

I had a Kahr PM40, but I've stuck with the pocket .380.

Bigger is better, but not for concealment. There are times when nothing would work as well as my P-3AT. Even the 9mm Rohrbaugh is larger and heavier, and with its short barrel is only marginally hotter than the DoubleTap loads from my .380.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links