9mm Carry load - Page 2

9mm Carry load

This is a discussion on 9mm Carry load within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by farronwolf That is what I use. Speer GDHP +P 124 gr in all of my 9mm's. Have worked reliably, and have chronoed ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Carry load

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    That is what I use. Speer GDHP +P 124 gr in all of my 9mm's. Have worked reliably, and have chronoed at close to what the listed velocity is. Most importantly, they have functioned reliably.
    If you use a compact gun be sure and ask your gun dealer for Speer Gold Dot ammo made for SHORT BARREL guns.

The box will say..

9mm LUGER+P 124GR. GDHP
    Short Barrel Hollow Point
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

I would like to second what BikerRN said about the importance of putting the bullets where they need to be. Next, make sure the round is reliable in your weapon. Then go for the best performing bullet.

That said, I do think bullet performance is more important in 9mm than .40 or .45. I now finally got two boxes of Federal HST 124gr +p for my Kahr PM9. I think these would be your best bet. IMHO
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    Guys, if you like HST buy it now while you still can. Federal is ordering retailers to stop selling it to the public. Federal intended it to be LEO only. My local store made the announcement a few months ago.
    How sure are you that this is true? It's still listed as an SD ammo on Federal's website.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

I was given 125 +P Hydro Shok back in the 90ís when I worked for the Feds, but I know another agency gave their people 147 +P+ Hydro Shok.

Right now, my Glockís are loaded with Winchester Ranger Tís 127 +P+, and I gave my dad some Corbond 115 +P for Christmas for him to use in his 92 T.

Long story short; regarding any premium bullet, I really donít think what bullet you use is nearly as critical as shot placement. Load your pistol with the bullet you shot best, and can hit the target with over and over again.

Depends on which pistol; the M34 and 92FS seem to like 147grn; I usually have them stoked with either Gold Dots or HydraShok in those weights.

My P7's usually have 124+P Gold Dots, or 124 TAP/FPD.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by SIG P229 JW View Post
    How sure are you that this is true? It's still listed as an SD ammo on Federal's website.
    I'm very sure, having both read it in numerous forums as well as being told by my local (and well informed) gun shop.

You say HST is listed on Federal's web page? Where? Perhaps you're mistaking it for Hydrashok? The only place I know of that Federal lists it is here:

LE - Tactical HST

Note that it's an LEO web site. I've never seen it listed on their main site.
    Gun control is not the answer. Gun control is the question. The answer is NO.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Just had 500rds of 147g 9mm HST delivered to me yesterday from ATG so hopefully I'm good to go for awhile regardless.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and the good info.

Sounds like I am kinds back to square one, any good bullet, placed well will do the trick. Pick the one my gun likes and I shoot well - and shoot it well if needed!

Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    I'm very sure, having both read it in numerous forums as well as being told by my local (and well informed) gun shop.

You say HST is listed on Federal's web page? Where? Perhaps you're mistaking it for Hydrashok? The only place I know of that Federal lists it is here:

LE - Tactical HST

Note that it's an LEO web site. I've never seen it listed on their main site.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression that HST was Hydrashok.. My mistake.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Federal 115gr 9BPLE +P+

Not the latest technology but it has a proven street record.

Also it's somewhat less expensive than premium defensive loads so I can practice with it more often.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    I now finally got two boxes of Federal HST 124gr +p for my Kahr PM9. I think these would be your best bet. IMHO
    johnsonabq - Check to make sure you know how the 124gr +p will perform. In my testing the the 124gr +p did poorly compared to the 147gr and 147gr +P.

Looks at all the reports on the HST here:
    LE - Wound Ballistics

and you will notice that Federal has NEVER put the 124gr into the mix. I believe that has done this because the 124gr, in any pressure load, does not perform nearly as well as the existing rounds (Ranger-T and so on).

Quote Originally Posted by cv7713 View Post
    personally, I carry DoubleTap's 9mm +P in 124gr:

115gr, $31.95/50
    Caliber : 9mm+P

Bullet : Speer Gold Dot JHP

Ballistics : 115gr @ 1415fps / 511ft. lbs. from a G17.
    Glock 19 velocity - 1395fps.
    124gr, $31.95/50

Ballistics : 124gr @ 1310fps / 473ft. lbs. from a G17.
    124 @ 1295fps / 462 ft. lbs. from a G19
    147gr, $31.95/50

Ballistics : 147gr @ 1135fps / 421ft. lbs. from a G17.
    Glock 19 velocity - 1120fps.
    Note you have to pay attention to the barrel length used for the tests when comparing performance.

Also, my understanding is that +P ammunition has a pressure specification that it must fall within, where +P+ does not.

Further, you'll find a number of firearms mfgs that support +P, but not +P+.

All in all, I figure the DoubleTap +P 124gr is a good balance of weight and velocity, esp. from a short barreled CCW and it is safe to shoot in my CCW.

Good luck,

-john

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwater View Post
    Not all 9mm HST rounds are created equal. While the 124gr is produced I had not found it recommend anyplace. I did some testing and found the 124gr did not retain weight while the 147gr performed very well!

If you can't find 9mm 147gr HST then carry another brand!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkwater View Post
    johnsonabq - Check to make sure you know how the 124gr +p will perform. In my testing the the 124gr +p did poorly compared to the 147gr and 147gr +P.

Looks at all the reports on the HST here:
    LE - Wound Ballistics

and you will notice that Federal has NEVER put the 124gr into the mix. I believe that has done this because the 124gr, in any pressure load, does not perform nearly as well as the existing rounds (Ranger-T and so on).
    I thought that was interesting too. Why wasn't Federal pushing the 124gr +P HST ammo during their workshops? I searched a little more, and found they tested it at the Sacramento County workshop.

The Sacramento County workshop tested 124gr +P. http://le.atk.com/pdf/SacramentoCountyWBW.pdf

Bare Gelatin @ 10ft.
    124gr +P pen 11.75" .78" diameter
    147gr pen 13.25" .76" diameter

Heavy Clothing @ 10ft.
    124gr +P pen 12.50" .66" diameter
    147gr pen 14.00" .66" diameter

From Aurora PD.
    http://le.atk.com/pdf/AuroraPoliceDpmt.pdf

Bare Gelatin @ 10ft.
    Speer GDHP 124gr +P pen 13.25" .665" diameter

Heavy Clothing @ 10ft.
    Speer GDHP 124gr +P pen 14.00" .582" diameter

The 147gr HST is a better performer than the 124gr +P HST. The GDHP 124gr +P, other than a little less expansion, seems to be equal to the 147gr HST. Interesting find though...the 124gr +P HST had a core seperation when doing the windshield test.

My SD round would be Speer Gold Dot in 124 gr...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    That is what I use. Speer GDHP +P 124 gr in all of my 9mm's. Have worked reliably, and have chronoed at close to what the listed velocity is. Most importantly, they have functioned reliably.
    Same as what I use in my 9mms.....I trust them and carried this load ever since I've had a 9mm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links