Confused about which ammo i CAN use.

This is a discussion on Confused about which ammo i CAN use. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may be off topic here, but I'm confused about which ammo I can use in my Rock Island .45. I've heard that I can't ...

Thread: Confused about which ammo i CAN use.

Confused about which ammo i CAN use.

This may be off topic here, but I'm confused about which ammo I can use in my Rock Island .45. I've heard that I can't shoot +P out of it, some say I can. will I be able to use the new critical defense ammo from Hornady when it's available in .45?

I guess my question would be: Am I limited in the .45 ammo I can shoot in the RIA . 45? I shoot winchester, federal now with no problems.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Does the users manual say anything about NOT shooting +P? I would think that +P would be fine. While a steady diet of +P is generally not recommended, an occasional mag or three should be fine here and there, and a lot of people carry +P in their guns. IIRC the new Hornady Critical Defense load for the .45 is 230gr NON+P, but I could be wrong.

You should not be "limited" to what you can shoot in the RIA unless the manual specifically says so.

Thanks JD. I'll reread the manual. 230gr is what I'm shooting now.

If you're shooting a 5" 1911 I suggest changing the recoil Spring to an 18.5 pound one when shooting 230 Grain +P ammo.

I use Wilson's in mine, and shoot mostly "Duty Ammo" which is 230 Grain +P in mine. When I shoot "standard" 230 Grain hardball ammo I change to the 17 pound Recoil Spring.

Too heavy a Recoil Spring will "batter" your gun, as will too light a Recoil Sping.

Biker

VIP Member
    +1 on reading/rereading the manual, should tell you there.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If you're shooting a 5" 1911 I suggest changing the recoil Spring to an 18.5 pound one when shooting 230 Grain +P ammo.

I use Wilson's in mine, and shoot mostly "Duty Ammo" which is 230 Grain +P in mine. When I shoot "standard" 230 Grain hardball ammo I change to the 17 pound Recoil Spring.

Too heavy a Recoil Spring will "batter" your gun, as will too light a Recoil Sping.

Biker
    definately looking to get a new spring. i'd like to add some night sites to this thing.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Most 1911's need a break-in of atleast 3-400 rounds of ball ammo. While you're reading the manual about the +P, see if it mentions anything about break-in. I have never seen a 1911 that didnt require a break-in period.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Most 1911's need a break-in of atleast 3-400 rounds of ball ammo. While you're reading the manual about the +P, see if it mentions anything about break-in. I have never seen a 1911 that didnt require a break-in period.
    I've seen plenty that didn't need them. I would say more, but all I've got time for is this. MOST 1911s DON'T need a break in. The only maker I know of fore sure that states it as a requirement in the manual is Kimber, Springfield recommends a break in but it's not listed in the book.

ETA: ALL guns should be tested for reliability but that is not quite the same as a mandated "break in" period.

Links