Overheard at the range-Bolo Shells

This is a discussion on Overheard at the range-Bolo Shells within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I overheard a conversation at the range the other night. 2 men were discussing possession of some kind of ammo with several projectiles which were ...

Thread: Overheard at the range-Bolo Shells

I overheard a conversation at the range the other night.
    2 men were discussing possession of some kind of ammo with several projectiles which were wired together. I thought I remembered reading about something like that in FS, so I informed them that I was pretty certain they were illegal. They seemed surprised. I couldn't remember the name of the ammo, so I went looking. I assume this is what they were talking about...

790.31 Armor-piercing or exploding ammunition or dragon's breath shotgun shells, bolo shells, or flechette shells prohibited.--

(1) As used in this section, the term:

(e) "Bolo shell" means any shell that can be fired in a firearm and that expels as projectiles two or more metal balls connected by solid metal wire.
    Anything I should have done differently?
    Are these legal anywhere in the US?

P.S.-There was at least 1 LEO nearby during the discussion, tho' I doubt he heard any of it.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I do remember several years ago seeing some shotgun shells in a magazine that were connected by some type of wire. They were buckshot and intended to keep the shot in a tighter pattern. Never saw them in any stores and doubt I would want them if I could.

E.T.A. Not what I was looking for, but I was doing a search for the shells I am talking about and came across this. I may have to get some for the next deer season.

Teriyaki Shotgun Shells | Table of Malcontents from Wired.com

I am going to keep looking for the ones I am talking about.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

They're not legal anywhere I can think of offhand, which doesn't really matter because testing of bolo rounds shows they actually have very little penetration, since the steel wire will hang up on or in whatever's being hit. They are reportedly quite inaccurate as well. I think you'd have better luck with making some "Malay" loads - buckshot surrounded by smaller shot - but my money's on plain old fashioned buckshot. It works. I guess I could make up some exotic name for it and it would sound more evil and tactical. Winchester Super-X just doesn't sound as incredible as bolo rounds or Malay loads....

VIP Member
    Illegal on my side of the border. I'd stick to old fashioned buckshot too.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I could see it working in a double barrel muzzle loader one ball down each barrel with about a 2 foot line,when ya got a suspect running you shoot at his legs and wrap em up.......ok I'll quit thinking
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I once tried stringing 00 buck on piano wire and loading them. They would load fine, shot fine, but couldnt hit the broadside of a barn with both doors open with them. I figured it would be kinda hard on a decent shotgun barrel, so I ran them through an old Topper that was laying around---nary a scratch in it.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    I once tried stringing 00 buck on piano wire and loading them. They would load fine, shot fine, but couldnt hit the broadside of a barn with both doors open with them. I figured it would be kinda hard on a decent shotgun barrel, so I ran them through an old Topper that was laying around---nary a scratch in it.
    I had a friend that tried this years ago also. As I recall, he used split shot sinkers, crimped onto heavy duty fishing line. Said it worked OK as far as staying connected, shot and line impacted and cut thru paper target, held a slightly tighter pattern, I think. I am not sure how much it affected penetration, but it seems it would though.

As far as two black powder balls down seperate barrels with a wire between your either;
    1: going to not pull both triggers at same time, and have first ball try to pull second ball out of barrel, which could be quite interesting!

or

2: Get one hell of a recoil from touching off both barrels at once!

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I had a friend that tried this years ago also. As I recall, he used split shot sinkers, crimped onto heavy duty fishing line. Said it worked OK as far as staying connected, shot and line impacted and cut thru paper target, held a slightly tighter pattern, I think. I am not sure how much it affected penetration, but it seems it would though.

As far as two black powder balls down seperate barrels with a wire between your either;
    1: going to not pull both triggers at same time, and have first ball try to pull second ball out of barrel, which could be quite interesting!

or

2: Get one hell of a recoil from touching off both barrels at once!
    Prior to pulling the triggers a customary"DUDE CHECK THIS OUT" would be appropriate
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Prior to pulling the triggers a customary"DUDE CHECK THIS OUT" would be appropriate

...And if you're in the south you'll hear the customary "Hey y'all watch this!"
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Senior Moderator
    Are these legal anywhere in the US?
    They are here in Arkansas. Went to a gunshow the other day and there was a table with every kindof shotgun ammo you could imagine. Bolos, tacks, Dragons Breath, saboted rounds, flechettes,bird bombs, salutes,missles, flares and things I've never seen before that look fun.

None of them were cheap. The Dragons Breath was going for 17 bucks for 3 shells. The "Shredder" load of carpet tacks was the cheapest, it was 6 bucks for 3.

As for being practical, I dont think so. They are purely for entertainment.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

jfl
    As far as I remember, it was used 30-40 years ago for riot control in prisons, lead sinkers crimped on a piano wire ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    ... I was pretty certain they were illegal.
    In Oregon, there doesn't appear to be any prohibition against flechette projectiles, though I haven't searched beyond ORS 166.

ORS 166.350 covers "armor piercing" ammo, but nothing else in 166 looks to cover any other special ammo, beyond those of the explosive variety.

166.350 Unlawful possession of armor piercing ammunition. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful possession of armor piercing ammunition if the person:

(a) Makes, sells, buys or possesses any handgun ammunition the bullet or projectile of which is coated with Teflon or any chemical compound with properties similar to Teflon and which is intended to penetrate soft body armor, such person having the intent that the ammunition be used in the commission of a felony; or

(b) Carries any ammunition described in paragraph (a) of this subsection while committing any felony during which the person or any accomplice of the person is armed with a firearm.

(2) As used in this section, “handgun ammunition” means ammunition principally for use in pistols or revolvers notwithstanding that the ammunition can be used in some rifles.

(3) Unlawful possession of armor piercing ammunition is a Class A misdemeanor. [1985 c.755 §2; 1987 c.158 §29]
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Video

I found a video, started a whole new thread on it. They show Bolo vs ballistic gel at about 16 or 17 mins in.
    YouTube - Shotgun Ammunition: 'Rounds of Authority'

Sponsored Links