JSP For Self Defense

JSP For Self Defense

This is a discussion on JSP For Self Defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a S&W mod 60 snub in 357 for pocket carry. Ammo is realy hard to find but I managed the buy ...

Thread: JSP For Self Defense

JSP For Self Defense

I just picked up a S&W mod 60 snub in 357 for pocket carry. Ammo is realy hard to find but I managed the buy two boxs of 125 rem jsp. Has anyone any info on how this ammo will perform in a defensive shooting. Was wondering if they will have deep penatration like the 158 gr ammo.

Yes it will penetrate with moderate expansion
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Yes it will penetrate with moderate expansion
    You don't think jsp would over penetrate? Would it make a significant difference between a 4 in. barrel and a 2 in. barrel? I've heard that the jsp is recommended for mainly hunting, but, NEVER for self defense.

JSP will work well for self defense from a .357.

If your individual situation requires deeper penetration than a HP will provide, then it is the bullet style of choice.

Another deep penetrator is a hard lead semi wadcutter, though I prefer a JSP. The hard lead bullets advantage is higher speed. It can be driven faster due to less bullet friction in the barrel.

An exit wound provides much quicker blood loss thus quicker incapacitation from shock. Penetration is your friend.

Shot placement will have more to do with the outcome of any gun fight you will get into than a particular bullet.

I pick a bullet/load/gun combination to fit my specific needs.
    In the country on a farm or in the woods, a 6 inch .357 loaded with heavy 158gr JSP loads is more versatile than a 2.5" Mod 19.
    While in the city the 2.5" mod 19 has the advantage of concealment and I prefer JHP in 158 gr range. A 125 gr would work well also.

I once had a great Internet conversation with a gentleman on this forum over penetration with a defensive handgun. We each had specific reasons for being on opposite sides of the issues.

He was guarding people mostly in crowds, overpenetration was not acceptable in this situation, so he went with 125gr hpts and was correct for his situation.

I on the otherhand live further out in the country where range can be from close to far durring a defensive situation. I chose a 158 gr hpt for my hand guns and Carbine. I wanted deeper penetration (exit wound) and expansion. I have found this to be a quicker killer of animals than just expansion. The heavier bullet fit my situation.

So look at your needs and get a bullet/load/gun combination to fit them.

Between the 125 gr. jsp and the 158 gr. jhp which would penetrate deeper?

158 will have more momentum.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

JSP

I prefer a bullet that expands more than any of the JSPs. I've tested a bunch of JSP loads in wet newspaper and get little to no expansion. Even in a 6" barrel, there was too little expansion and too much penetration. For hunting or outdoors use, fine, not for SD. From your snub you will get zero expansion, test it if you have any doubts. I'm sure a LSWC would work better for you than a JSP if you want a non-expanding bullet. At least the SWC will cut a slightly bigger hole. My personal preference for a .357 snub is the Gold Saber 125gr. If you must have more penetration than that, try the Gold Dot 125gr. The 158gr Hydra Shok has a small hollow point but actually expands and fragments quickly (try it out). Any .357 will penetrate a person enough. I'd save my money or order online for some SD ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Between the 125 gr. jsp and the 158 gr. jhp which would penetrate deeper?
    From my experience the 158gr JHP will penetrate more from the revolver. From my Marlin carbine the 125 gr JSP and 158gr HPT both tend to come apart and fragment. The 158 gr JSP from the carbine stays together and provides better terminal performance on heavy animals.

A bullet that expands and exits the animal is a quicker bleed out combination than one that stays inside. Animals react quicker to this than they will a shallow wound or a wound that has lost momentum towards the end of its journey through the target.

In my opinion, you give up to much in incapacitation power when you concentrate on over penetration fears.

Unless you know you are going to always engage targets in a crowd, I favor a deep penetrator with expansion over a shallow penetrator with expansion.

Fortunately we have plenty of bullets and powder to choose from, and you can adjust to suit your preferences.

I have never shot any person and hope to never have that situation thrust upon me.

I have shot numerous animals with handguns and carbines. Accurate, penetrating, expanding and exiting rounds are the most reliable ones I have seen. The lighter bullets just do not put deer and hogs down as quickly. The large exit wound and rapid loss of blood is critical to this class of cartridges performance.

All of this said, if I was told all I could have was .357 125gr hpts in my Revolver or Rifle I would feel secure that it would work and work well. You can hardly go wrong with a good .357 mag for defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamour View Post
    From my experience the 158gr JHP will penetrate more from the revolver. From my Marlin carbine the 125 gr JSP and 158gr HPT both tend to come apart and fragment. The 158 gr JSP from the carbine stays together and provides better terminal performance on heavy animals.

A bullet that expands and exits the animal is a quicker bleed out combination than one that stays inside. Animals react quicker to this than they will a shallow wound or a wound that has lost momentum towards the end of its journey through the target.

In my opinion, you give up to much in incapacitation power when you concentrate on over penetration fears.

Unless you know you are going to always engage targets in a crowd, I favor a deep penetrator with expansion over a shallow penetrator with expansion.

Fortunately we have plenty of bullets and powder to choose from, and you can adjust to suit your preferences.

I have never shot any person and hope to never have that situation thrust upon me.

I have shot numerous animals with handguns and carbines. Accurate, penetrating, expanding and exiting rounds are the most reliable ones I have seen. The lighter bullets just do not put deer and hogs down as quickly. The large exit wound and rapid loss of blood is critical to this class of cartridges performance.

All of this said, if I was told all I could have was .357 125gr hpts in my Revolver or Rifle I would feel secure that it would work and work well. You can hardly go wrong with a good .357 mag for defense.
    Thanks, that sums it up real good.

Will a 125 gr. SOFT POINT penetrate less than a 158 gr. HOLLOW POINT? (357 4 in. barrel)

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Will a 125 gr. SOFT POINT penetrate less than a 158 gr. HOLLOW POINT? (357 4 in. barrel)
    In theory the answere is yes it will penetrate less.

In practice, I have found the 158gr hollow point or soft point to be a better killer of animals of various sizes than the 125 gr hollow point or soft nose. It (158gr) is a more versatile projectile than the 125.

Remember this is my experience and observations, others will have just as valid opinions the other way. There is no majic bullet that will always work to perfection.

In the end good tactics and a cool demeanor will work better with a 22lr than a panicky poorly planned response with a shotgun.

LAPD's last revolver round was the .38 Special +P 125 gr. JSP. They wanted a hollow point but it was a political landmine no one wanted to step on. From all that was written in the 80's it seemed to do the job well enough without too much penetration. However I do remember reading several times that it was a 50/50 on expansion.

On the other hand NYPD's last revolver round was a .38 Special +P 158 gr. LSWC that NEVER expanded and overpenetrated a lot.
    "Lawyers, Guns and Money"

Sponsored Links