.223 45 gr.HP's too light for HD?

This is a discussion on .223 45 gr.HP's too light for HD? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would you consider .223 45 gr. HP's ok for HD in an AR? I've picked up quite a few of these lately. Can you kill ...

Thread: .223 45 gr.HP's too light for HD?

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

.223 45 gr.HP's too light for HD?

Would you consider .223 45 gr. HP's ok for HD in an AR?

I've picked up quite a few of these lately. Can you kill zombies with these or should they be regulated to plinking only?

Don't the smaller bullets tend to fragment easier cutting down on over penetration indoors? I do have to worry about this in my home.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

2. Remove Ads

I think the 45 grain HP's would wreck an assailant's day if employed at the typical ranges encountered in one's home. I'm guessing they would be less likely to excessively penetrate than heavier .223 loads, most certainly FMJs.

The Winchester 45gr HP's? I keep a 20 round mag full for my AR mainly for coyotes. My other mags are usually loaded with FMJ's or FMJ's alternated with tracers every fifth round. Never actually contemplated using the .223 or AR-15 for an in-home defensive weapon. The 45gr HP's actually have more velocity than the standard FMJ rounds to my thinking, and I wouldn't dare to guess as to fragmentation at close range out of a 16" or shorter barrel. 3600fps says a lot when you're talking inside a house with a round that's smaller in diameter than a #2 pencil.

Administrator
    In most AR heavier bullets will stabilize better but, that is decently irrelevant at typical SD distances.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Stupid work

For some reason my work has now blocked the Box O Truth, but he tested FMJ and JHP/ SP and frangible in simulated walls. IIRC there wasn't a lot of difference in penetration. I can't view the site but this should be it:
    The Box O' Truth #14 - Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls - Page 1

I use a lot of 50gr JHP from Federal American Eagle in the AR I might gtrab for SD. I also have a shotgun with Federal's Flite Control #6 birdshot in it, the #4 is backordered.

I think they would work fine. I do know that a 'yote at a 100 yards has no chance!!
    God Bless America!!

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    It also may partly depend on the rate of twist for your AR's barrell. 1 in 9 should be all right, but any tighter and you could run into other issues regarding the bullet to maintain its integrity over distance.

Here is another website:

.223 and 5.56 Ammo Oracle

Everything you ever thought you wanted to know and then some, and yet you may have some questions afterwards too.

There is some Bovine Scatollogy mixed in there, but overall I think most of what they present for information is pretty solid.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    It also may partly depend on the rate of twist for your AR's barrell. 1 in 9 should be all right, but any tighter and you could run into other issues regarding the bullet to maintain its integrity over distance.

Here is another website:

.223 and 5.56 Ammo Oracle

Everything you ever thought you wanted to know and then some, and yet you may have some questions afterwards too.

There is some Bovine Scatollogy mixed in there, but overall I think most of what they present for information is pretty solid.
    Yes, my 16 inch barrel is 1/9 twist.

Thanks for the link.

I have a hard time knowing what to believe about indoor penetration with the .223.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I would not shoot a deer with these since I have seen them fail on yearlings at 25 to 30 yds distance. Deer were hit but did not go down or leave blood.

55gr FMJ is the lightest I would trust for home protection. My favorite is a reload using Speer 70gr semi spitzer or a factory 64gr WW Power Point.
    55gr Soft point would be ok but not my first choice.

Thee 70 gr Speer and 64gr Power Point have done excellent duty for me over the years. Deer and hogs fall with great regularity when shot with these bullets. Home intruders deserve as much consideration as these animals do. Use enough bullet to do the job humanely!

Links