Wal-Mart to stop selling ammo? - Page 2

Wal-Mart to stop selling ammo?

This is a discussion on Wal-Mart to stop selling ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't think Wal-Mart "plans" to stop selling ammunition. I'm sure it is something that has been considered, but is not the cause of the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart to stop selling ammo?

I don't think Wal-Mart "plans" to stop selling ammunition. I'm sure it is something that has been considered, but is not the cause of the empty shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerdd2 View Post
    I asked that question at my local wally world a couple of weeks ago and the guy said no. Just that ammo was hard to keep in stock.Sold as soon as it came in.
    +1

I was at Wal-Mart on Saturday night. Even the bulk .22 LR were low. I ask, and was told, just supply issues.

Knowing what little I do, I'm sure the ammunition manufacturers are looking at price increases and:

1) have a low contract price with Wal-Mart
    2) would rather fill orders for military contracts
    3) are selling to shops where they make more on the order

IMHO, Wal-Mart is slow to adjust to changes in their margins and to a price increase from their suppliers (and in this situation, something that does not happen to retailers like Wal-Mart, they need the supplier more than the supplier needs them).

With all that said, this is only a small part of the possible problem. Demand for ammunition has increased a great deal (and I will not argue if it is for good reason or panic, but it has a lot to do with who is in the White House).
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    This rumor comes around frequently. So far just a rumor.

Would Walmart stop selling ammo? Well, they stopped selling guns.
    No they didnt... Man thats just another falsehood. Every walmart around me sells guns and I have a freind at one who is the manager. They are gonna sell guns as long as we buy em. They are gonna sell ammo as long as we buy it.

I have another friend in Sporting Goods. They just cant get it in fast enough. Heck, I cleaned em out of Federal .22 bricks this weekend.

Other folks are doing the same.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

1943 - 2009
    The decision to sell long guns, ammo, or both, is up to the individual Wal-Mart store manager. If they can turn a profit, they'll sell guns & ammo. If not, they won't.

It's a business decision.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

The decision to sell long guns, ammo, or both, is up to the individual Wal-Mart store manager. If they can turn a profit, they'll sell guns & ammo. If not, they won't.

It's a business decision.
    There shouldn't be any question about a profit in selling ammo, since it isn't just setting on the shelves

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    No they didnt... Man thats just another falsehood. Every walmart around me sells guns and I have a freind at one who is the manager. They are gonna sell guns as long as we buy em. They are gonna sell ammo as long as we buy it.

I have another friend in Sporting Goods. They just cant get it in fast enough. Heck, I cleaned em out of Federal .22 bricks this weekend.

Other folks are doing the same.
    You're right about long guns. But, I've been unable to find handguns. Am I wrong about that as well?
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Walmarts in Philly don't sell ammo, but I make a trip to 3 walmarts outside the city every 2 weeks or so to clean them all out. I have been doing this since around Thanksgiving. I have always found 9mm, and 40cal. 357 is harder to come by. .223 is hit or miss as well.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    This rumor comes around frequently. So far just a rumor.

Would Walmart stop selling ammo? Well, they stopped selling guns.
    Not entirely true. Some stores stopped selling guns. There are I believe 3 Walmart stores in MI that still sell long guns. I would bet that OH has a similar amount.
    I was in the Monroe MI location last week and they had a display case full of long guns.
    I was told by the district manager in the Detroit area that the majority of the people that were run for a purchase were denied so that is why they no longer waste their time in some locations.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    You're right about long guns. But, I've been unable to find handguns. Am I wrong about that as well?
    I do not recall WalMart ever selling handguns.

1943 - 2009
    I do not recall WalMart ever selling handguns.
    Actually they did, up until about 10 years ago. Handguns were a catalog order item in my local Wal-Mart in 1998.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Closest one to me in Phx quit selling ammo. Many others nearby still do???
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post

IMHO, Wal-Mart is slow to adjust to changes in their margins and to a price increase from their suppliers (and in this situation, something that does not happen to retailers like Wal-Mart, they need the supplier more than the supplier needs them).

With all that said, this is only a small part of the possible problem. Demand for ammunition has increased a great deal (and I will not argue if it is for good reason or panic, but it has a lot to do with who is in the White House).
    Wal-Mart dictates prices to their suppliers ! Not the other way around. If you do business with them--THEY will tell you what they will pay for your product. You dont like it? You are out the door! That is why almost everything they sell is "Made in China".

Of the threee WM closest to me, 2 still have long guns. The one that doesn't also doesn't have self checkout, the mgr decided that, and it's fairly new and he probably chose not to have the guns either as the other store that does is less than 5 miles from this one.

The one I frequent the most has been out of ammo almost since election day. I have managed to get maybe 4 boxes there since then in .380 and 1 in 9mm. The one that sells guns I stopped at a week ago and scored 5 100rd boxes of 9mm WWB, I was very happy. But the only other handgun rounds they had were .40.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by purpledragon View Post
    Of the threee WM closest to me, 2 still have long guns. The one that doesn't also doesn't have self checkout, the mgr decided that, and it's fairly new and he probably chose not to have the guns either as the other store that does is less than 5 miles from this one.

The one I frequent the most has been out of ammo almost since election day. I have managed to get maybe 4 boxes there since then in .380 and 1 in 9mm. The one that sells guns I stopped at a week ago and scored 5 100rd boxes of 9mm WWB, I was very happy. But the only other handgun rounds they had were .40.
    I bet its the one right there in Monroe. Every time I go in there the shelves are bare. LOL
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Just stopped in our local Walmart today at lunch to pick up some stuff. Thought I would go get some ammo. Nothing for pistols. I can't believe there is still a big run on ammo.

Funny, I heard that Remington and Winchester cutting down shipments to Wally World. (From employee)..Seattle Suburb..
    It takes over 40 muscles to frown. But yet less than 10 to smack the hell outta who makes you frown. Work smarter, not harder......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links