Ammo Levels

This is a discussion on Ammo Levels within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; WOW you guys are more "ready" THan I am! Youll laugh but as of right now I have about 50 rounds of 357mag and 10 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo Levels

WOW you guys are more "ready" THan I am! Youll laugh but as of right now I have about 50 rounds of 357mag and 10 rounds of .380 and about a dozen 7.62X54R and thats it! But i promice that will change once i get a few more paychecks behind me. Ill have about 300-500 rounds of 45.acp only about 200 rounds of .380 , same with the 357 and 1,000 rounds of .22lr for the wifeys gun.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

2. Remove Ads

You guys and gals are well prepared!

I always like to keep 500-1,000 rds of Blazer 45 and 9mm aound, as well as a variety of SD ammo and a case or so of Winclean for weekly IDPA. Always a couple of bricks of 22 and lots of shotgun shells, which I hardly shoot anymore. I'd let my car run out of gas before I'd run out of ammo!

i divide my ammo into two groups.

Group 1 is practice / plinking ammo. FMJ, gun show bulk reloads, etc. I blast this stuff as slow or fast as i desire. I dont worry too much how much of this i have from a defensive point of view, as i do not rely on group 1 ammo for such usage.

Group 2 is self defence ammo. High quality JHP's or FMJ's that are suitable for defensive use. I rarely shoot this stuff except to function test.

Of my group 2 ammo, i have the following amounts.

9mm - Ranger T 147 gr and 127gr. About 300 rounds.
    9mm - Federal HST 147 gr. About 250 rounds.
    9mm - mixed JHP's, some WWB, some GS, a bit of Hydra Shok, all various weights. About another 150 rounds.

357 mag - not one of my primary defensive guns, but i do keep about 150 rounds of various JHP's in case i need to loan my 686 to a friend / family member.

7.62 by 39 - I keep about 700 rounds of wolf 122gr JHP for my AK. Of that 700, 6 mags worth (180 rnds) is ready to go in mags.

.223 - my primary defensive rifle round. I have 7 mags (210 rnds) of Black Hills 68gr BTHP ready to go. Another 100 rounds of 68gr in boxes. Then 4 more mags of 55gr Q3131A ready to go, plus another 200 rounds in boxes. I plan to increase my boxed stash of the 68gr stuff to about 400 rounds and the boxed Q3131A to 400 as well when funds allow.

12 gauge - 75 rounds of ranger reduced recoil 00B plus about 20 rounds of slugs. Since my 870 is mainly for indoor / close range firefights, i dont worry hugely about keeping more then the above amounts for group 2 ammo. I currently have another 100 rounds of 00B in my group 1 pile, and i dont shoot it very fast, so if the situation was pressed regarding 12 gauge ammo, i'd probably be fine.
    Driver carries less then $20 of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    everybody (especially your family who think you're nutso) call you paranoid...until TSHTF and then suddenly you're the "go to" guy for disasters 'cause you're prepared...
    one of my older brothers was (is?) an anti-gun liberal (which is odd, being as he grew up in the same rural north carolina house that i did). he has given me endless crap about my passion for firearms since we were boys, and it only got worse as we got older.

funny thing....within an hour of the 2nd plane hitting the world trade center, during that period when nobody knew what was going to happen next, he was at my house asking me to borrow a handgun (and to show him how to use it).

he still gives me crap about how ive "lost it" (after seeing my on-hand cache, he has no idea about my survival cache), but he doesnt talk about guns anymore.....not with me, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    it makes sense to split the cache up.
    exactly. i have (what i consider, anyway) a small cache that i keep at home. its purpose is to sustain me and ensure that im able to reach my survival cache which is located at my rural, deeply remote property in the bull mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    Does anybody else have a set number of rounds that they always keep on hand per weapon?
    i keep roughly 10,000 rounds at home, made up of various amounts of each caliber that i keep at home. i keep "a lot more" in my survival cache. i shoot several thousand rounds per month, and rotate my stock accordingly. its just foolish to wait until you truly need ammunition to try to buy it. ammunition is readily available, and its relatively cheap. please dont take it for granted, stock up.

Assistant Administrator
    Ahhh yes - the ''cache split'' - did not mention that - true enough - there is ''for use'' and ''reserve'' - good to keep track of which is which.

I forgot too earlier - of course the .22's - haha - not to neglect them at all. Usually have a buffer supply of 5,000 - anything over and above that can be be shot. Reckon I have 8,000 right now!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Boy am I under ammo'd.
    I have 3K .223
    about 2.5K 9MM,
    and about 300 .357

I think I need to get more.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Wow you guys are stocked.

I forgot to mention all those rifle rounds..

...and the hunting handgun rounds. Glad my wife doesn't read this...might impact my ammo funds.

3500 .22lr
    1000 .22mag
    700 .380
    600 .38 spl
    400 .38 spl+p, plus 150 135 gr. gold dots
    400 12 gauge 0,1, and 4 buck+20 slugs
    350 20 gauge same loads +25 slugs
    950 .223 need more
    450 .308 need more
    1000 9mm
    950 .45 acp
    400 .357 mag. need more
    400 .44 mag need more
    500 .40 s&w

500 rnds of 9mm in storage safe, and 650 rnds of ss192 5.7x28mm for my FN five-seven. That is hard to find and runs about 60+ per box of 50. So my FFL friend orders what he can find @ 25 per bx and calls me to come and get it. the rest is in a range bag to be used and replenished on range day (about 600 rnds of 9MM 38 spl and 250 rnds of 5.7)

Thread made me buy more ammo today

Thanks guys...now I'm ammo rich and cash poor.

not what I would call enough...you can always store more ammo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links