Ammo Levels

Ammo Levels

This is a discussion on Ammo Levels within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody else have a set number of rounds that they always keep on hand per weapon? Here are my minimums per firearm that I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Levels

JT [OP]

Ammo Levels

Does anybody else have a set number of rounds that they always keep on hand per weapon? Here are my minimums per firearm that I keep on hand:

Handgun = 250 rounds
    Bolt Action Rifle = 250 rounds
    Semi-auto Rifle = 1000 rounds
    Shotgun = 250 rounds

I made it a strict rule that I never shoot, if the levels will drop below these amounts. I have to go purchase ammo first.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Assistant Administrator
    Ahhh yes - the ''buffer'' or ''float'' system.

I think (expect) we all follow this to some degree - and certainly are most unlikely to ''run dry'' of any cal before re-stocking.

For handgun - I reckon to have 1,000 or over 9mm - out of which minimum 100 actual carry type. .45acp - usually have 300 minimum. 38 spl - well, that varies as I don't use it so much, except with PPC shooting and then reload for that - prefer to have 200 rounds useable tho.... and same qty of 357's.

Bolt rifle - hmmm - assorted allsorts. I still have about 3,000 rounds of 8mm after getting a bulk batch a while ago! Probably 60 rounds min of .308 hunting stuff. After reloading would like to have 100 rounds min of .308 special stuff. 200 rounds of .223 for varmint rifle/Contender.

Semi rifles - 1,000 plus of good mil .308. Coupla cases of Wolf 7.62x39 - but try to keep min as 1,000.

Shotgun - probably 200 rounds as a min but, have enough consumables to load approx 2,000 so - try to keep that up to maintain stock.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    you are a lot more organized than I am! I pretty much shoot until I am low, then go buy some. I have lots of half-empty boxes of this and that.
    Why do you use those ammo targets??
    God Bless.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Assistant Administrator
    Why do you use those ammo targets??
    For me it is down to unknown availability much as anything. If ''things'' got tricky for whatever reason - could we see perhaps the ammo equivalent of the ''supermarket panic buying''. Shelves cleared in one day!!

Not too likely but - it is shall we say an insurance - much like having at least some food stored for a ''rainy day''. Just like the odds of having to deal with an SD situation being (fortunately) pretty slim - so is the likelehood of difficult ammo supplies but - why take a chance.

I know I could if needed have my family all armed and supplied, with an efficient supply of ammo. Paranoid to some maybe but for me - just basic planning.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Double or triple your amounts mentioned in the first post. I make my own ammo, and when I sit down to load, it's 500 to 1000 round batches.

JT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    For me it is down to unknown availability much as anything. If ''things'' got tricky for whatever reason - could we see perhaps the ammo equivalent of the ''supermarket panic buying''. Shelves cleared in one day!!

Not too likely but - it is shall we say an insurance - much like having at least some food stored for a ''rainy day''. Just like the odds of having to deal with an SD situation being (fortunately) pretty slim - so is the likelehood of difficult ammo supplies but - why take a chance.

I know I could if needed have my family all armed and supplied, with an efficient supply of ammo. Paranoid to some maybe but for me - just basic planning.
    agreed

A gun is worthless without ammo. So even the ones that I doubt I would use for self-defense, like my Mauser, I keep ammo for. I may need to give it to my neighbor, so he can defend his family.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    You know, like the Boy Scouts, BE PREPARED.
    Curry

Senior Moderator
    Got about 1800 rounds of 9mm 124 gn NATO ball, about 50 rounds of GD 124 gn JHPs, 1000 rounds 223, 50 rounds 12 ga slugs, fifty 00.

Funny you should ask....I just did an inventory and came up with a grand total of just over 10,000 rds of various calibers, including .30-06(320rds hunting and 500rds of specialty A.P.), .308 (1500rds Federal Gold Match), .30-30 (about 500rds) 5.56mm(2000rds), 45ACP (2000), and the rest split between 9mm, 40 S&W, 22LR & 22WMR, 12 ga, and a smattering of 357 that I didn't give my daughter when I delivered unto her the Ruger SP101 that she learned to shoot on at age eight. She's now 24 and married.

All of the above are not rounds that I shoot, ever. These are my emergency cache for that special rainy day. They are all combat configurations. For example I have 200rds of the old Black Talon 45acp and while I would not carry them, it's nice to have them for those special people when you care to send the very best.

I am going to sell over 320rds of .30-06 because I realize that my only rifle in this caliber is a Garand and thats pretty much reserved for the military ball and my A.P. & A.P.I. stuff. So, I'll unload that 180gr soft point Sellier & Bellot for about $100.

I keep a stash of about 500rds of IDPA ammo just to shoot in matches and replenish. I also keep three mags of carry ammo in my spare CCW mags that is shot only when the head space starts to compact from repeated chamberings... and then replaced from a gunshow purchase.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Smile One man's whacko is another man's survivalist

Quote Originally Posted by BCurry1
    You know, like the Boy Scouts, BE PREPARED.
    YAH, everybody (especially your family who think you're nutso) call you paranoid...until TSHTF and then suddenly you're the "go to" guy for disasters 'cause you're prepared...
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I think the worst case scenario is not "panic buying of ammo" but rather a N.O. style gun grab that may begin with a general ban on ammo purchases as what happened in the L.A. riots after Rodney King. If you think (as I do) that BATF stands for Bury All Thy Firearms, it makes sense to split the cache up and prepare for some being compromised and grabbed. But if you know what you're doing and if your security is tight, when that "rainy day" arrives, you and yours should be okay....

Last count my total ammo stash was a tad over 30,000 rounds with 9mm and .45 being over 5,000, yea much of it is hard ball and cast but if TSHTF it will still put a hole in someone. Probably what I am lowest on is 10mm, probably only 300 rounds there. I need to get some dies and start a loading binge.

My buddy that owns a hardware store with an FFL just got in some good looking 7.62X51 ball and is selling it for (I think) about $60 for 500 rounds, I may have to put another 1,000 or so back.

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    A gun is worthless without ammo...
    Not neccessarily. That's why they invented bayonets!
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

well

38sp about 1200
    45acp about 1800
    9mm about 900
    454 about 300
    500 about 300
    41 mag 300
    357 mag 900

223 1600
    308 500