Speer Gold Dot 9mm Question....... - Page 2

Speer Gold Dot 9mm Question.......

This is a discussion on Speer Gold Dot 9mm Question....... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have no doubt the regular G.D. 124 +p is good. I just noticed that the GD For Short Barrells had beter test results. I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speer Gold Dot 9mm Question.......

I have no doubt the regular G.D. 124 +p is good. I just noticed that the GD For Short Barrells had beter test results. I certainly would not hesitate to use the regular, but wanted to stock up on the best I could find. Went with GD Short Barrell and Federal HST 124, since it is going LE only. Took awhile but was able to find both online and stocked up.
    Men look out for themselves; real men look out for others!

Um, where did you find the HST?...just orderd 500 rds of GD 124+P...hook a brother up!

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Gold dot is one of the best ammo's out their. Trust it in my duty and personal carry weapon.

Love it 124 +Ps 50 rnd count $18 Georga arms I recall

I've been doing some research on this ammo, too, and I found something interesting. I found two types of Speer 124+P, but I don't know the difference between the two. Here's how they are listed: (1) ...GD 9mm+P 124GR HP and (2) ...GD 9mm+P 124GR HP SHT. What does the SHT stand for?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

I use HST but would carry Gold Dot's without hesitation. Check out this thread....

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...m-article.html
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

Quote Originally Posted by SIG P229 JW View Post
    I've been doing some research on this ammo, too, and I found something interesting. I found two types of Speer 124+P, but I don't know the difference between the two. Here's how they are listed: (1) ...GD 9mm+P 124GR HP and (2) ...GD 9mm+P 124GR HP SHT. What does the SHT stand for?
    This is the ammo pictured in my OP. When I did a search on google, the top listings were for the Short Barell.
    Men look out for themselves; real men look out for others!

Concealed,
    The way Speer explained it was that the Short Barrel ammo has a slightly different alloy mix to allow the bullet to expand better when fired from the shorter barrel guns. The velocity from a 2"bbl will be less than a 4". NYPD uses Speer GD 124+P as service ammunition, however I do not believe they specify the Short BBL ammo for use in the off duty / back up guns ( Glock 26 ) etc.
    Whether the ammunition actually functions better in the short BBL guns or is just marketing hype I wouldnt know. I did read somwhere that the Federal HST ammunition was designed by the same engineer that did the GD, they are both owned by ATK ammunition systems group. Some of the reviews I have read showed that the HST was more consistent in penetration depth and expansion than the GD, again I dont know if weather conditions, guns used for the test etc had any bearing on the results.

What is the speer 124+P gold dot short barrel made for as in length of barrel. I have a 3" barrel in my xdsc

I have tons of various practice ammo, but I keep 100 rounds of Speer Gold Dot ammo just to load for SD ammo...I burn up the first few rounds (stuff ejected several times) at the range first, and then switch to my practice stuff.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links