AK's and ammo.....

This is a discussion on AK's and ammo..... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I am new to AK's... as far as owning one. I love them and have always wanted one, but tried and tried to resist. ...

View Poll Results: Best ammo for an AK47 (mutilple voting) in a Romanian WASR 10

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Russian

27 57.45%
  • Hungarian

4 8.51%
  • Bulgarian

5 10.64%
  • Yugolsavian

7 14.89%
  • Wolf

22 46.81%
  • Other ?? (pls post answer)

10 21.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: AK's and ammo.....

AK's and ammo.....

Ok, I am new to AK's... as far as owning one. I love them and have always wanted one, but tried and tried to resist. Ok, I found one I want. To heck with resisting any longer... may not have another good chance.
    When I was in China.... (for work) ... one guard (we were on a mil. facility) chambered a round and was showing me his AK (pointing it at my face) really close. As he was pointing it at me and screaming, I was trying to see the gun closer and get a good look at it... since I had such a close view and this was a rare opportunity (see the latest Chinese Military issue). I can say... I don't like the looks of it when the barrel is pointed at my head, that's not quite the view I would have liked to have.

Then the Secret Police came out and straightened him out real quick, and he turned pale white and became very apologetic. Another guard, I tried to always walk close by him... even tho his 2 guard dogs didn't like me much, and the flag above his head reminded me where I was.... the gun really looked good. I'ld like to have one.

Back on subject :

What's the best ammo vs costs to use ??
    Bulgarian,
    Hungarian
    Yugoslavian (80's)
    Russian
    Wolf
    Other ???

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I said other. Meaning the cheapest available. Some of it is corrosive, just takes a little extra effort on the cleaning and some of it is not. Buy what you can find the most reasonable price on and stack it deep. Your AK won't care.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I'm not a vast repository of AK experience, but it seems most folks feed theirs a steady diet of whatever they can find or afford with no or minimal effect. My Norinco Mak-90 eats anything I fit in the mags excepting rocks. They are just very tolerant weapon systems that are not picky.

I do not want to hijack this thread, but I don’t see a reason to start a new one considering our question is similar.

One local gun shop told me that ammo for AK’s is NOT very accurate.

Adding to Eagleks question about ammo, is this true. If so are any of the ammo brands better than others.

I have not purchased an AK yet, but considering our President is going to ban them, I figure I might as well buy one before he does.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    One local gun shop told me that ammo for AK’s is NOT very accurate.
    Two points: in comparison, the above is true. Eastern European manufacturing has several decades of catching up to the US. However, most of their ammo is "service grade", meaning it will deliver 2 MOA from a service rifle, per the TDP. US shooters have just become a bit spoiled.

Paul Gomez has done extensive testing with the AK. Essentially, the Wolf Military Classic is the most accurate, as of his sessions last year or so. Given that all manufacturers have ramped up production to meet civilian and military demand, I don't see a revolution in performance in that limited time.

Edit to add: Wolf is Russian, so...

VIP Member
    I voted wolf, did not vote russian since wolf is russian
    my AK has eaten wolf, brown bear, and monarch
    vast majority of my stockpile is wolf
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

All of the above. It's an AK, run what's cheapest.

I agree with the cheapest is best. It will fire anything.

For those of you who don't have one yet, get one. They are addicting.

An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I've just gotta reply to this. Funny, since this is my first posting on the Concealed Carry Forum. Anyway, I just purchased a nice Romanian WASR last year and I've been learning and using. It's a great gun and eats any commie ammo you want to feed it. I've read that the Golden Bear is a little cleaner than the Brown Bear and Wolf. (though I've not seen any thing too serious with any of my ammo) The real problem right now is that since Obama was elected, there's been a run on the reasonably priced 7.62x39 ammo. I've not been able to get any cheap ammo for the last few months. I did find a source of Yugoslavian 7.62x39 that's supposedly a little corrosive. Welcome to Samco Global Arms, Inc. Another suggestion is to invest in a .22 conversion for simple plinking. http://www.22lrconversions.com/ak-pg.htm Anyway, you'll really enjoy shooting it and it's extremely forgiving. Another point, you were asking about the accuracy. The AK-47 is not a sniper gun and is really for close in. The SKS, which uses the same ammunition, is much more accurate. Great thread and great forum.
    Chuck

I use Brown Bear and never had any problems.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    Buy whatever is available. An AK is like a hungry teenager, it will eat anything.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by ca2tx2tn View Post
    I've read that the Golden Bear is a little cleaner than the Brown Bear and Wolf.
    You're right, Brown Bear is pretty dirty. Makes after range cleaning more fun than I would like.

That being said, it's still an AK. It likes getting dirty, even if I don't.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Links