Defensive Carry banner

Hornaday Critical Defense

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Bark'n 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with this ammo? It sounds good but appears to only be available in 380, 9MM, 38 spl and 38 spl+. I'm just curious if it's any good. I'd love to see it in 40 S&W and 45 ACP if it really expands the way they say it does.

#3 ·
My GF has a Bersa CC .380. I shot the critical defense loads, and I was impressed. Very smooth, and went exactly where I wanted. Then I shot Federal Hyrda-Shock/Premium and I didn't get anywhere near the same shot placement/grouping. I did both from the same stance. etc.. using the trigger reset method to shoot as accur. and consistantly as possible.. The distance was about 7 yards in an indoor range. Also, bith were identical Gr. All in all very impressed with the Critical Defense line, and I would carry them if they were in my caliber that I carry..

From my general knowledge it will go through clothes( How deep not sure) but from the smaller calibers you may get glass.. I do shoot the Powerball in my SA 1911 A-1, and I have no doubt this would do what our looking for, but a smaller caliber just doesn't have the oomph to do everything.. The critical defense will serve it's purpose in a close quarter self defense situation though I would be safe to say..

#4 ·
For defense I use Federal in 45 out of my 1911. For carry, which I haven't started I have tried out a bunch of ammo. The one issue I had with Hornaday was that it was not POA/POI at 20 meters like the Federal with my SA EMP. Also I have about 2 FTF from each mag that I shot out of it while I had none with Federal. I am not sure about the ballistics or penetration capabilities.

#5 ·
Try getting yourself a box of power ball 165 Gr +P, and see how you like them. It's a very light round( Great for carry), and does an excellent job. I have thought of federal, but they are getting harder, and pricier by the day.. I dod compare the power ball in 40 to my federal in 40 also, and there is a BIG weight diff. in the federal being heavier. Albeit a big factor for me.. Just my .02

#6 ·
#8 ·
I have shot Critical Defense in all four available loads. They are all very accurate with low recoil and very little muzzle blast. I have yet to see any definitive tests on expansion, however they are now my carry rounds. Another big plus is that it's priced reasonably and come in 25-round boxes instead of the 20 you usually gets. I think it's a great round.

#10 ·
Apparently the ballistics tests come up very favorably compared with Cor Bon DPX which is what I currently use in my Bersa 380 and Smith & Wesson 9mm M&P.

#12 ·
I was only able to get my hands on one box of them. My LCP gobbled it up like gumdrops. Good expansion on all recovered rounds.

I wouldn't mind carrying it in my LCP when I can get more of them and finish doing a proper function test on the gun. (but I don't anticipate any problems with reliability)

I have 100 rounds of Double Tap Gold Dots scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I have to function test those and if ok, I'll probably use those until I can get more Hornady Critical Defense and finish a proper function test with about 100 more rounds of the Critical Defense.

I do like Hornady and use their TAP rounds in my AR-15 and TAP rounds in my XD9sc when I can't get Gold Dot short barrels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.