Hornaday Critical Defense

This is a discussion on Hornaday Critical Defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone had any experience with this ammo? It sounds good but appears to only be available in 380, 9MM, 38 spl and 38 spl+. ...

Thread: Hornaday Critical Defense

Hornaday Critical Defense

Has anyone had any experience with this ammo? It sounds good but appears to only be available in 380, 9MM, 38 spl and 38 spl+. I'm just curious if it's any good. I'd love to see it in 40 S&W and 45 ACP if it really expands the way they say it does.

2. Remove Ads

No, but I am curious as well. Looks like it would be good for penetration of clothing and auto glass. Maybe as good as the Cor Bon Powerball lineup.
    God bless our troops!

My GF has a Bersa CC .380. I shot the critical defense loads, and I was impressed. Very smooth, and went exactly where I wanted. Then I shot Federal Hyrda-Shock/Premium and I didn't get anywhere near the same shot placement/grouping. I did both from the same stance. etc.. using the trigger reset method to shoot as accur. and consistantly as possible.. The distance was about 7 yards in an indoor range. Also, bith were identical Gr. All in all very impressed with the Critical Defense line, and I would carry them if they were in my caliber that I carry..

From my general knowledge it will go through clothes( How deep not sure) but from the smaller calibers you may get glass.. I do shoot the Powerball in my SA 1911 A-1, and I have no doubt this would do what our looking for, but a smaller caliber just doesn't have the oomph to do everything.. The critical defense will serve it's purpose in a close quarter self defense situation though I would be safe to say..

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    No, but I am curious as well. Looks like it would be good for penetration of clothing and auto glass. Maybe as good as the Cor Bon Powerball lineup.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

For defense I use Federal in 45 out of my 1911. For carry, which I haven't started I have tried out a bunch of ammo. The one issue I had with Hornaday was that it was not POA/POI at 20 meters like the Federal with my SA EMP. Also I have about 2 FTF from each mag that I shot out of it while I had none with Federal. I am not sure about the ballistics or penetration capabilities.

Try getting yourself a box of power ball 165 Gr +P, and see how you like them. It's a very light round( Great for carry), and does an excellent job. I have thought of federal, but they are getting harder, and pricier by the day.. I dod compare the power ball in 40 to my federal in 40 also, and there is a BIG weight diff. in the federal being heavier. Albeit a big factor for me.. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by kennykeum View Post
    For defense I use Federal in 45 out of my 1911. For carry, which I haven't started I have tried out a bunch of ammo. The one issue I had with Hornaday was that it was not POA/POI at 20 meters like the Federal with my SA EMP. Also I have about 2 FTF from each mag that I shot out of it while I had none with Federal. I am not sure about the ballistics or penetration capabilities.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

1943 - 2009

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Thanks for all the good info from everyone. Now Hornaday make it in 40 S&W and 45 ACP

I have shot Critical Defense in all four available loads. They are all very accurate with low recoil and very little muzzle blast. I have yet to see any definitive tests on expansion, however they are now my carry rounds. Another big plus is that it's priced reasonably and come in 25-round boxes instead of the 20 you usually gets. I think it's a great round.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

As per an email from Hornady the new round will not be made in .40 until 2010 or later.

bosco

Apparently the ballistics tests come up very favorably compared with Cor Bon DPX which is what I currently use in my Bersa 380 and Smith & Wesson 9mm M&P.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Not too bad in my nines

I was only able to get my hands on one box of them. My LCP gobbled it up like gumdrops. Good expansion on all recovered rounds.

I wouldn't mind carrying it in my LCP when I can get more of them and finish doing a proper function test on the gun. (but I don't anticipate any problems with reliability)

I have 100 rounds of Double Tap Gold Dots scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I have to function test those and if ok, I'll probably use those until I can get more Hornady Critical Defense and finish a proper function test with about 100 more rounds of the Critical Defense.

I do like Hornady and use their TAP rounds in my AR-15 and TAP rounds in my XD9sc when I can't get Gold Dot short barrels.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links