Ammo Newbie

Ammo Newbie

This is a discussion on Ammo Newbie within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking into a new def bullet online. And i was wondering what does the +p stand for? Thanks!...

Thread: Ammo Newbie

Ammo Newbie

I am looking into a new def bullet online. And i was wondering what does the +p stand for?

Thanks!
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

+ Power say a 38 is your standard load and is at SAAMI standards.

+P exceeds original SAAMI standards

+P+ is plus power plus so its really up there

test your ammo too... a lot of guns will be spot on with the regular pressure loads and a little off with +P loads.

In my CZ75B for instance 124 grain Gold Dots tend to shoot POI while the +P load shoots high.

1952 - 2006
    + power is the general definition.

It means that the cartridge has more velocity/energy than a standard velocity round. They can be dangerous in some firearms, be careful and consult the owners manual for your specific gun to see whether or not it is rated for +P ammo.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    If the owners manual for your particular pistol says
    Do Not Use + P ammunition ,

BELIEVE IT !
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Assistant Administrator
    One other small reminder - it is generally accepted that much older (milsurp maybe) ammo - 9mm classically - is or can be an effective +P even if not marked as such. Modern ammo will show it on headstamp.

Much has been made for sub guns - one example I remember was Hirtenberger a while back.

So - be aware.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Awsome info guys thanks. Im looking into the Magtech First Defence ammo. Its rated +P. I want to test that ammo against the Hornady Tap ammo. Ill be shooting them through my new XD 45 after its breakin. Thanks for the info guys!
    I carry because I care.
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

The +P should be safe in the new XD then .. course you wont really need +P in a service size handgun

Yeah it was just rated that way. But i may not do the test. I really liked the TAP ammo i shot through my older 380 so i think ill just get a few more boxes for the 45 and call it good. Use them for carry and then use something else for target practice..
    I carry because I care.

1952 - 2006
    Just a personal opinion here.

Be careful around MagTech Ammo. I've had some bad experience with it and know of a couple other guns that have as well, including a 9mm subgun.

Problems like, KABOOM!!.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

1951 - 2011
    Hello. Certainly +P has more energy and momentum than the standard pressure .45 ACP rounds, but speaking only for myself, I find myself using standard pressure loads in this caliber. The reason is that when I checked myself out against a timer with both ammo types, there was a difference in the time between rapid-fire shots as might be used in a deadly force scenario.

Though it was not labeld "TAP", I have killed Texas whitetails cleanly using a .45 ACP loaded with 200 and 230-gr. Hornady XTP bullets handloaded to about factory equivalents. The bullets didn't expand as aggressively as some others, but the effect was about the same. Frankly, I couldn't tell any difference between the ones hit with the Hornady and those hit with either Golden Sabers or Winchester Ranger .45's, even though the latter expanded to considerably larger diameter.

If interested, here are some observation on Hornady XTP's in general:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/HornadyXTP.htm

Best and good shooting.

That was some good reading. Thanks.. As far as carry load is concerned I will shoot a few different brands and styles through the XD and see which gives me the best grouping. Im not too concerned with name brands or marketing gimicks, but i will admit that the hornady tap caught my eye about 3 months ago when looking for a round to put through my 380 to see what the "wet phonebook" test looked like in person. I liked the black nickel because ofcorse it looks mean... but the performace of the round was really impressive. I know there has been a thread on this ammo before so i wont start preaching its worth here but, i am very interested in it, and compairing it to others that are made strictly for self defence or hunting. But thats an adventure just to please myself not to prove which is best to others. But i will keep my notes,pictures, and video if anyone is interested in seeing them whem im finished.

P.S. I just got done trying to order some from online sites. and The TAP ammo is backorderd EVERY WHERE. unless you get some from gunbroker or direct for hornady (expensive) you S.O.L for 14-15 weeks
    I carry because I care.

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    Just a personal opinion here.

Be careful around MagTech Ammo. I've had some bad experience with it and know of a couple other guns that have as well, including a 9mm subgun.

Problems like, KABOOM!!.
    Kind if off topic but did ya get you gun that KA-BOOMED back? Did mag tech say it wasnt there fault

Links