LCP/P3AT -- Possible Kabooms

This is a discussion on LCP/P3AT -- Possible Kabooms within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This article cropped up on another forum and I thought I'd post here for a couple of reasons. 1. With the current lack of availability ...

Thread: LCP/P3AT -- Possible Kabooms

This article cropped up on another forum and I thought I'd post here for a couple of reasons.

1. With the current lack of availability of 380 ammo, it's conceivable that more shooters may start to reload for the little 380 if they want to practice with it on a regular basis.

If you've tried to buy 380 ammo online, you know how hard it is to find. A quick check as I was writing this provided the following in-stock brands:
    Midway USA --- 0
    Ammoman --- 0
    ATG --- 1
    Mid-South Shooter's Supply --- 0
    Natchez --- 0
    Gamaliel Shooting Supply --- 2
    Graf & Sons --- 1
    While I would normally not consider reloading for the little 380, if you want to shoot one, it may be the only choice. Of course the problem then becomes finding primers.

2. Use of factory +P rated 380 ammo.

This page lists SAAMI standards for pressures of most calibers. You'll notice there is NO +P rating for the 380. This basically means that any manufactured ammo you shoot that carries a +P rating for the 380 is a crap-shoot as to what the pressures really are. In a gun with a fully supported chamber, this may or may not be a problem but in the LCP/P3AT with a large section of the chamber unsupported, this could rear up and bite you in the hand (literally). My photos tend to bear out the amount of unsupported cartridge in the LCP as shown in the article linked at the top of this post:

Now, I know there's going to be a bunch of "I shoot XXX brand +P rated ammo out of my LCP all the time and never had a problem" comments and I'm happy for you but if you go out and buy a new set of 90 mph speed rated tires for your car and consistently drive 120 mph without them flying apart, that still doesn't mean it's a wise thing for you to do and it's definitely not something I would recommend to someone else.

Be safe.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Nice post. I've read that +P is a real crap shoot in a .380. I use Hornady Critical Defense & Golden Sabers in my P3AT/LCP. I suppose I lucked out when I scooped these up @ WM on Saturday for $33ea.

Quote Originally Posted by deviceman View Post
    Nice post. I've read that +P is a real crap shoot in a .380. I use Hornady Critical Defense & Golden Sabers in my P3AT/LCP. I suppose I lucked out when I scooped these up @ WM on Saturday for $33ea.

Do you use 88gr in your LCP and how well do they chamber and cycle through? I can't use 88gr and Ruger said to use 90gr or better when I called them.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I haven't tried any UMC's in either of my pistols yet. As long as they work properly in the P3AT I have 500 rds. of Federal AE that I can use in the LCP if needed.

The only thing I could get at my WM was Winchester 95 gr. FMJ target loads for $33/100 rds. I got two boxes to function test my new LCP.

They only had four boxes in .380 and totally out of stock in 9mm. Maybe I should of bought them all, but I have 3 other walmarts in the area to find more if I run out.

No one has any self defense rounds. I got the one and only box of Hornady 90 gr. Critical Defense to be had when I bought the gun. I had to shoot that to the day I got the gun obviously.

BTW... it worked flawlessly with those first 25 rounds.

I do have email alerts coming from Midway as soon as they get resupplied. Estimated in a week or so for Gold Dots and about 3 weeks for Hornady IIRC.

Thanks for the post Hoss! I'm not reloading yet, however I may be forced into splurging for a press and set up soon if things in the ammo world doesn't improve soon.

I can only assume the cost of reloading is going way up too!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I just went to my local walmart and bought the same Remington UMC .380 rounds as you deviceman. Got all the remaining boxes they have, and I don't even own a .380 yet lol
    I also got 100 Remington .40 S&W and 100 rounds of birdshot

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    ..........I can only assume the cost of reloading is going way up too!
    The hardest part about starting to reload right now would be finding primers.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    Powder Valley has Federal Small Pistol Match and that's about it
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I have no problem getting cases, primers or powder but do have a problem with bullets. I guess I'll have to get into casting.

As for ammo I have put 2 boxes of Buffalo Bore 100 gr HCFN +p rated bullets through my wifes LCP without a problem.

She has shot Federal Personal Defense and American Eagle FMJ out of it with no problems and even a few of the BB.

AE is not a problem to get in my area but a bit pricey.
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

I've been looking at the Buffalo bore for my P3AT and after reading

CVHOSS post, I'm going to stick with Winchester Ranger T's non +p

Thanks for the post.

it is hard in some parts to find 380 ammo,, primers,,brass,,powder,,and bullets. when you do find them the price has gone sky high. three weeks ago i found 1k small pistol primers. i paid 39.99 plus tax for them. that's all the gun store had and it will be the last time i go into that store. all of the prices were high. trying to make money the wrong way.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I've shot Hydra Shock, Golden Saber, and Winchester SXT through my LCP and P3AT. Winchester SXT produced the least recoil. Golden Saber felt like a good balance of kick / control / power. The Hydra Shock seemed to produce the most kick and follow up shots would be slower than the other two loads. I wouldn't want more kick than the Fed. HS in either pistol so I'm not inclined to buy or shoot +p in my 380s. Thanks for the "heads up" anyway.

non issue. next post
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Sponsored Links