Lee Ermey praises the .45

This is a discussion on Lee Ermey praises the .45 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the pt2 video on "gun rights" is much better YouTube - Pt. 2 "Gun Rights"...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Ermey praises the .45

the pt2 video on "gun rights" is much better
    YouTube - Pt. 2 "Gun Rights"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rcsnpr View Post
    Interesting statistics. These need to be given to all the lawyers that said “He used the evil HOLLOW POINTS because he knew they were more lethal”. I can understand the reasoning. Ball ammo will penetrate more, possibly going thru the target. I am guessing, if it can go thru the target, it will probably be able to reach a vital organ. Now lawyers will say, “He used the evil Ball Ammo because he knew it would not only kill his first target, but pass thru and kill another innocent victim”.
    I understand and agree with you. The .45 acp. however, is the dividing line between that argument. The .45 acp. really doesn't need to expand, after all, it's a Cal. 45. Because of the weight, size, and sub-sonic speed, it's like getting hit with a sledge hammer, without any expansion. Another interesting statistic is that 90% of the time, a .45 acp. will NOT over penetrate and pass through a human target. For that 10% possibility that may over penetrate, the bullet can be found on the floor next to the body, therefore, eliminating the fear of killing an innocent victim. I have yet to find any evidence to prove that anyone has been wounded, let alone died, from an exit wound from a .45 acp.

The US Army was sufficiently impressed with the 9MM round that they started thinking about changing to it in the late 1940s. My failing memory thinks that the colt commander was one result of the thinking.

The American soldiers who saw 9mms used by our allies in Korea punch through Chinese body armor were also impressed. Our 45 could severely dent a helmet; besides the 45 was not noted for accuracy.

Since we were the big dogs in NATO, the US forced the adoption of the 7.62 and later 5.56 rifle rounds as NATO standard. So guess who had the most votes on the handgun round?

VIP Member
    Bart, I'd be VERY interested in seeing the source for your statistics...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Statistics say that 80% of all people shot with hollow points survive their wounds. (unless of coarse it's a head shot or through the heart) Ball rounds tear through muscle and bone, if it doesn't kill them on the spot, 90% of the time they will bleed to death regardless of where you shoot them. Hollow points, if they expand properly, will transfer more energy and produce more shock to "STOP" your assailant. If it's a .45 acp. I wouldn't waste my money on expensive so-called "personal defense" ammo, period.

"bleed to death regardless of where you shoot them" - oh, really?
    Seems an expanded bullet, say .70 cal, would have a greater chance of hitting an artery/heart/etc than a .45 cal.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    I heard it was 80% people shot with a handgun, not HP's.
    So a smooth jacket tears muscle, but not a jagged piece of copper and lead?
    "bleed to death regardless of where you shoot them" - oh, really?
    Seems an expanded bullet, say .70 cal, would have a greater chance of hitting an artery/heart/etc than a .45 cal.
    75.9% of statistics are made up on the spot.....

R. Lee Ermey was medically retired after seeing action in Vietnam; I asked my uncle (retired colonel) what that meant, and he said that if you were unable to physically perform your duties you were eligible for a medical retirement.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links