Defensive Carry banner

Lee Ermey praises the .45

3K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  edr9x23super 
#1 ·
#3 ·
We knew this almost 100 years ago when we were shooting Moro terrorists in the Phillipines. We were lead down the wrong path by Europeans and NATO who thought collectively we could wound enough Russians to end a conflict.

#6 ·
I've carried both the 45 and 9mm over the years. I settled on the 9mm. The 45 is great and some people shoot it really well, I'm not one of those people (and I'm secure enough in my manhood to say so). It's all about shot placement; as an old SEAL friend has said "If I put two in your heart and one through the bridge of your nose you're not really gonna care what caliber it was":twak:

#7 ·
I guess we should probably have our troops start to carry the M1 Garande again with the 30.06 round instead of that punny 5.56 that is being used today.

#8 ·
They are reissuing M14 because the 308 is a better round for what they are doing now than the 5.56 is. AND the last I read, the next sidearm is to be a 45.

#9 ·
the problem isn't the caliber... it is the round. Ball rounds will not perform as well as the high quality frangible and hollow point rounds that are around today. A 5.56 TAP round will kill almost anyone with one shot to any large mass on thier body, a 5.56 ball round is going to take a fair amount of time to kill unless it gets a direct hit on a vital organ.

#13 ·
Statistics say that 80% of all people shot with hollow points survive their wounds. (unless of coarse it's a head shot or through the heart) Ball rounds tear through muscle and bone, if it doesn't kill them on the spot, 90% of the time they will bleed to death regardless of where you shoot them. Hollow points, if they expand properly, will transfer more energy and produce more shock to "STOP" your assailant. If it's a .45 acp. I wouldn't waste my money on expensive so-called "personal defense" ammo, period.

#15 ·
No matter if you agree with what Lee Ermey actually says - He does do a lot of good for RKBA in that tons of Americans who have no real interest and/or just minor curiosity about firearms will watch Ermey.

He is a likable guy and very entertaining and extremely pro military and pro gun.

So you can disagree with Lee Facts & Personal Opinion but, still realize that that the Big Picture is that he does us all tons more good and really no harm.

#18 ·
The US Army was sufficiently impressed with the 9MM round that they started thinking about changing to it in the late 1940s. My failing memory thinks that the colt commander was one result of the thinking.

The American soldiers who saw 9mms used by our allies in Korea punch through Chinese body armor were also impressed. Our 45 could severely dent a helmet; besides the 45 was not noted for accuracy.

Since we were the big dogs in NATO, the US forced the adoption of the 7.62 and later 5.56 rifle rounds as NATO standard. So guess who had the most votes on the handgun round?

#19 ·
Bart, I'd be VERY interested in seeing the source for your statistics...

#22 ·
R. Lee Ermey was medically retired after seeing action in Vietnam; I asked my uncle (retired colonel) what that meant, and he said that if you were unable to physically perform your duties you were eligible for a medical retirement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.