Best self defence .357 round in a snub nose.

This is a discussion on Best self defence .357 round in a snub nose. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please, no discussion on why I'm not gonna shoot .38 or +p or +p+ for self defence. I've been lurking here for some time and ...

Thread: Best self defence .357 round in a snub nose.

Please, no discussion on why I'm not gonna shoot .38 or +p or +p+ for self defence. I've been lurking here for some time and read all the recent threads about it.

What I'm trying to find is what's the best .357 round in a 2.25 inch barrel. Flash is a very small consideration while noise isn't important to me at all. I'm looking for good terminal bullet characteristics (deformation, penetration and ft-lb of force).
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither' -Ben Franklin

VIP Member
    Speer Gold Dot 135gr.

Part #23917 in .357 Magnum

Part #23921 in .38 Special +P

Designed for optimum performance in short barrels.

Check out the Speer website for more details.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I've got a 340 that I carry all the time as my main gun and I've been through the entire range of considerations for it from .38 vs. .357 to just how hot to go.

Lots of .357 to choose from. I've shot it all from the very hot Double Tap stuff down to mild reloads in .357.

I could handle it all. But getting back on target was easier with the lighter stuff. No real reason to go with super hot stuff and a lot of reasons not to.

.357 offers an advantage over even .38+p. You do pay a price for it. But I think it is worth it, if you don't go too heavy with a little snub.

No earthly reason to go heavier in rounds than the mid-range .357 stuff IMO. Nothing to be gained and everything to loose IMO. You can get over the 12" of gel the FBI wants with about .66 on the mushroom. That's as wide as a .357 mushroom is going to get no matter how fast you move it or what gr. weight you choose. More speed (and recoil) will just drive it a couple inches deeper even with the super hot stuff (if the mushroom holds together properly). You don't need or even want deeper penetration according to experts.

125gr. stuff in a midrange load will do everything you need to do with a .357 snub.

I settled on the 125 gr.DPX stuff for carry. I considered and tried them all and this is the one that is most consistent at the speed deliverable and desireable with the snub. Costs a little more. but you only have to shoot a little to get dialed in and then go to a sub for practice. Shoot a couple of expensive rounds every month or so just because and save you money IMO. I've got a reload from Mastercast that matches it's recoil, noise and POI pretty well and is cheaper for practice.

Check out these articles:

New Page 1

Can Less be More

A Look at Corbon

Midrange

The Remington Gold saber 125gr is a midrange load and great for snubs. Low flash, good expansion and mild recoil. Most of the people I know that actually use .357 in their snubs use this load. I have also fired the Winchester 145gr Silvertip in the snubs. I had a chance to fire some and was impressed that a heavy bullet shot pretty mild.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    The Remington Gold saber 125gr is a midrange load and great for snubs. Low flash, good expansion and mild recoil. Most of the people I know that actually use .357 in their snubs use this load. I have also fired the Winchester 145gr Silvertip in the snubs. I had a chance to fire some and was impressed that a heavy bullet shot pretty mild.
    All true. However I found that Remington dirtied up the gun quicker, and felt that their published ballistics were questionable. I prefer Federal Personal Defense, 158gr. JHP. It'll do just fine, reliable and will accomplish the mission at a reasonable price.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Federal HST hollow point.

Gold Dot (short barrel) 135 gr HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Knox View Post
    I settled on the 125 gr.DPX stuff for carry.
    +1 on DPX

Hi I have a .357 snub a Ruger SP101 and use either Remington golden saber 125grain loads or Federal 158grain hydra shocks. I find the recoil a bit more with the 158's but both are manageable out of this gun with double taps easily accomplished. like others have said gold dots,corbons and any other quality self defense load you can't go wrong with pick a few and see what works best for you and your gun.

1943 - 2009
    Check out the "Tactical Short Barrel, Low Flash, Reduced Recoil .357 Magnum" from Buffalo Bore Ammunition.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Check out the "Tactical Short Barrel, Low Flash, Reduced Recoil .357 Magnum" from Buffalo Bore Ammunition.
    +1 on Buffalo Bore ammo. Quality stuff loaded just right!
    The 125 grain uses the Speer Gold Dot, which is said to be a very reliable expander under most conditions.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    From what I've seen in pictures and read in ballistic tests I like the Federal HST the best.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I have a S&W Model 19, 4" barrel. A full-power .357 load is a PITA to shoot, IMO. It has too much noise, too much flash and too much recoil.

I can accurately double-tap with a .45, but that .357 is a bear and is not a good choice for accurate, controllable personal defense.

JMHO.............................

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I shoot the speer short barrel 135 gr out of the 2 1/4 sp101. No issues I can see.

The 135gn bullet does shoot low however.

I love the federal HST's. Carry them in my 9mm and 45.

I have not seen the 357's. I think I would switch if they make a short barrel high velocity(relative) round

Sponsored Links