Surplus brass to be mutilated? (Merged X3)

This is a discussion on Surplus brass to be mutilated? (Merged X3) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A letter to your congress is in order!!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surplus brass to be mutilated? (Merged X3)

A letter to your congress is in order!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I haven't been to the range in several weeks. So.....how's the market for once fired brass anyway? I'd be selling my brass if I could turn around and buy new ammo with the funds....problem is, new ammo is hard to come by as well. Kind of a vicious cycle huh?
    Post in Gunbroker and you will find out
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

This is the first real fight that everyone is going to have to do their part. The DOD is apparantly where alot of the manf get their brass. see that a box of 50 9mm at CTD is going for 28$ . cheaper than dirt link is below. Also see the DOD's letter sent to Georgia arms. Then, get ready to pay, pay ,pay.

AMM-423 - Ammo 9mm Luger Winchester 115 Grain FMJ 50 Rounds per Box

The Shootist: DOD Ends Sale of Expended Military Brass to Remanufacturers
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Senior Moderator
    Just emailed my congressmen
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Looks like they already changed their policy:

0001 - Uncategorized at Government Liquidation

it now says "Mutilation not required".
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

It is not true. I just contacted my armory and there is no such mandate!

The title of the particular auction that is used as a source for this says "Mutilation not required". Either they changed their mind, or it never required mutilation from the start. Could also be a typo in the original announcement.

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I did't buy into the change this fast myself. I know there is a lot of talk over ther net about it. But if you look at these other auctions.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

It says things must be mutiliated, "BRASS (EXCLUDES FIRED / EXPENDED)" everything except the brass.

I think the rumor mill has gotten off to a very quick and unchecked start.

And these say, no mutilation required.

Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I just emailed my Senators and Congresswoman. My email is below just to offer up as suggestions to include in your own letter. We need to get on this one as this is just the first battle in the war.

Hoss

Dear Senator/Congressman,

Please excuse the length of this letter but this is an issue that deserves immediate action.

A few days ago, the following letter began being sent to companies that had been purchasing fired brass from the military.

March 12, 2009
    Re: Event 7084-6200:

Dear XXXXXXX,

Effective immediately DOD Surplus, LLC, will be implementing new requirements for mutilation of fired shell casings. The new DRMS requirement calls for DOD Surplus personnel to witness the mutilation of the property and sign the Certificate of Destruction. Mutilation of the property can be done at the DRMO, if permitted by the Government, or it may be mutilated at a site chosen by the buyer. Mutilation means that the property will be destroyed to the extent prevents its reuse or reconstruction. DOD Surplus personnel will determine when property has been sufficiently mutilated to meet the requirements of the Government.

If you do not agree with the new conditions of your spot sale, please sign the appropriate box provided below stating that you do not agree to the new terms and would like to cancel your purchase effective immediately. If you do agree to the new terms please sign in the appropriate box provided below to acknowledge your understanding and agreement with the new requirements relating to your purchase. Fax the signed document back to (480) 367-1450, emailed responses are not acceptable.

Please respond to this request no later than close of business Monday, March 16th, 2009.

Sincerely,

Government Liquidation.

This decision has many effects. First and foremost, this may very well put some American companies out of business as there are companies whose primary business is producing reloaded ammunition from fired military brass. Without this source of material, it could lead to their being forced to cease operations resulting in even more unemployed workers.

Second, this decision is detrimental to the budget of the military. Estimates are that selling the fired cases only as mutilated brass will result in upwards of an 80% reduction in the price that the military could get from these fired cases. I’ve seen figures that as reloadable fired cases, they are worth approximately $2.00 per pound where as mutilated brass it is worth approximately $0.35 per pound. With the current economic condition, this seems to be a horrible waste of resources.

Third, this decision will have a large impact on training costs for police agencies. Georgia Arms, the 5th largest producer of ammunition in the United States, has already started sending order cancellations to police agencies across the country as they had to cancel an order for 30,000 pounds of brass as it was of no use to them shredded. Police agencies will be forced to either reduce training for their officers or divert funds from already strained budgets to purchase more expensive training ammunition.

Fourth, at a time when everyone is emphasizing “going green” to protect our environment, this decision will have a negative impact. The energy required to produce the cases has already been expended. As a reloadable case, very little energy is required to convert that case back into loaded ammunition. It will now have to be mutilated, melted and reformed into ammunition cases all of which will require considerably more energy to accomplish than simply reloading the cases.

Lastly, this decision will have a huge impact on the sport shooting community. I’ve already witnessed increases in ammunition costs of up to 50% over the last 4 months and that was prior to this decision. Not only will it increase the costs of ammunition but it will also reduce availability. This will force a majority of the sport shooters to either divert more funds into their recreation budget, which is extremely difficult in these tough economic times, or reduce our expenditures on ammunition which not only impacts us but those businesses that we support through those purchases and the government agencies that collect the sales taxes on those purchases.

In the final analysis, this is a decision in which I can find no merit and I urge you to do whatever possible to persuade the Department of Defense to reverse this directive.

Sincerely,
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    Looks like they already changed their policy:

it now says "Mutilation not required".
    Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    It is not true. I just contacted my armory and there is no such mandate!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    The title of the particular auction that is used as a source for this says "Mutilation not required". Either they changed their mind, or it never required mutilation from the start. Could also be a typo in the original announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I did't buy into the change this fast myself. I know there is a lot of talk over ther net about it. But if you look at these other auctions.

It says things must be mutiliated, "BRASS (EXCLUDES FIRED / EXPENDED)" everything except the brass.

I think the rumor mill has gotten off to a very quick and unchecked start.

And these say, no mutilation required.

Guys, I don't know what's going on but before anyone decides not to write their congressmen/senators, I'd just suggest going to the home page of Georgia Arms. It currently says:
    Attention!!

Due to new government regulations concerning the purchasing of surplus brass, we are removing sales of all 223 and all 308 until further notice. Below is a copy of the email we received from Government Liquidations.

"Effective immediately DOD Surplus, LLC, will be implementing new requirements for mutilation of fired shell casings. The new DRMS requirement calls for DOD Surplus personnel to witness the mutilation of the property and sign the Certificate of Destruction. Mutilation of the property can be done at the DRMO, if permitted by the Government, or it may be mutilated at a site chosen by the buyer. Mutilation means that the property will be destroyed to the extent prevents its reuse or reconstruction. DOD Surplus personnel will determine when property has been sufficiently mutilated to meet the requirements of the Government. "

This is a huge waste of taxpayer's money. The value of these products is reduced by 80% by going from a recycled product to a scrap product.

CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN!!!!!!!!!

CONTINUE TO HOMEPAGE
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    This is the first real fight that everyone is going to have to do their part. The DOD is apparantly where alot of the manf get their brass. see that a box of 50 9mm at CTD is going for 28$ . cheaper than dirt link is below. Also see the DOD's letter sent to Georgia arms. Then, get ready to pay, pay ,pay.

AMM-423 - Ammo 9mm Luger Winchester 115 Grain FMJ 50 Rounds per Box

The Shootist: DOD Ends Sale of Expended Military Brass to Remanufacturers

That CTD link just exposes their gouging. You can still get WWB at WalMart for $20 for 100.

This is a hoax IMO.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I'm going on my insticts and I don't think they would do this, but hell I've been wrong before.

Still I contacted both Senators in Florida, and I became a member of the NRA yesterday. Let's see where this ends up!!

I sent an email to georgia arms to see what their response is. I asked them to give me some reference to this new regulation, since it is in direct contradiction to what is posted on the auction site.

I guess I will wait and see what their response is, if any.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links