need advise on practice ammo for S&W 442

This is a discussion on need advise on practice ammo for S&W 442 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just purchased a S&W 442 for carry and need some help with inexpensive practice ammo. I see the lowest cost ammo for 38spl is lead ...

Just purchased a S&W 442 for carry and need some help with inexpensive practice ammo. I see the lowest cost ammo for 38spl is lead wadcutters or lead round nose, are these o.k to use for practice or does the lead foul up the barrel too much, I do clean the weapon after every range trip. Just wondering if I can go with lead ammo or stay with fmj.
    prior USAF
    1911 COLT MODEL 80/ KAHR CW45
    XD 9MM SUB COMPACT/ P22/ S&W 442
    TAURUS 85/ REMINGTON 870
    Don't let them destroy our 2nd ammendment rights.
    I want Obama & his policies to fail, but I want our country to succeed.

First of all, you got yourself a honey. Wadcutter /round nose for pratice no problem. Just remember to touch off some +p carry ammo. You will not believe the difference and you must be aware of the torque that +p generates. My wife carries the 642. Ammo is a little hard to find, just pay the man and you should be ok.

Distinguished Member
    The wadcutter has been around for a long time. No problems. Sure, it's lead so there's a little extra cleaning to be done but it sounds like you clean after every trip so all is well. I just reloaded 500 in 148 gr. I'm moving more toward jacketed bullets for this reason but it's really a matter of A) what's available when I buy and B) I'm being a bit lazy and just like the ease of jacketed over lead. All that said, don't hesitate on the wadcutters.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Personally I prefer bullets that are coated or jacketed. However, they are a little more expensive.
    I do not like wadcutters because I have my own target stands and the wadcutters tear up the backing much faster than round nose. I am shooting a .45, and my backing lasts about half as long if I use wadcutters. They cut wads out of it.

If you are shooting on a range where you are not providing your own target stand then wadcutters would be fine.

If I were buying ammo I would use the least expensive I could get.

Regards,
    Jerry

I like 158grn RN their great ,Like said before shoot a few +p GOOD LUCK & GREAT GUN

VIP Member
    One of the (many) nice things about a wheelgun is that you can use just about anything to practice with because feeding is not an issue. I've shot hundreds of thousands of PPC 148gr wadcutters over the years and with standard cleaning, leading has never been an issue. The only really hard place to clean is the space betwwen the forcing cone and the top of the frame. Lead can build up in there, but is easy enough to remove with a metal dental pick. Ask your dentist for one of his old ones he or she is about to throw out.
    +1 on using some +P as well. Wadcutters have very little recoil by comparison and you've got to train with what you'll carry.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I have shot some wadcutters with the 442 with no problem but I prefer jacketed bullets. I usually stick with 124gr bullets for practice and standard pressure. I save the +P for SD ammo but will shoot it occasionally because it handles so much differently from practice ammo.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by auburn4 View Post
    First of all, you got yourself a honey. Wadcutter /round nose for pratice no problem. Just remember to touch off some +p carry ammo. You will not believe the difference and you must be aware of the torque that +p generates. My wife carries the 642. Ammo is a little hard to find, just pay the man and you should be ok.
    I agree...
    I do this with my S&W 637...BIG difference between the two shells...in power and in price. :yu:
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links