Cold shot off

Cold shot off

This is a discussion on Cold shot off within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some help. I know this is not a question about a Defensive weapon. However, last time I had a question about a Non-modern-defensive ...

Thread: Cold shot off

VIP Member

Cold shot off

I need some help.

I know this is not a question about a Defensive weapon.

However, last time I had a question about a Non-modern-defensive firearm it ended up here. So, here goes. And Moderator, if I got it wrong again, please move.

I have a 257 Roberts, Mauser action, glass bedded, free floating barrel clearance = thickness of a dollar bill.

The first shot w/ cold barrel is 2-3 MOA down and to the right from next shots.

Next 2-3 shots are sub-MOA.

Thoughts?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

How long are you waiting between shots?

That is what is refered to as a "cold bore shot". You can either keep a little log book as snipers do and log every shot (which is a good idea) or you could send your barrelled action for cryogenic treatment to eliminate wandering zero from thermal stress on the barrel. If you go the log book route you will probably see that all of your cold bore shots tend to be in the same place. The question then becomes do you zero for the cold bore or compensate for it?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    How long are you waiting between shots?
    Thirty minutes between cold shots. Under 10 seconds between that and each follow-up warm barrel shot.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    That is what is refered to as a "cold bore shot". You can either keep a little log book as snipers do and log every shot (which is a good idea)... SNIP... If you go the log book route you will probably see that all of your cold bore shots tend to be in the same place. The question then becomes do you zero for the cold bore or compensate for it?
    That's sort of where I am. As it is a hunting rifle, I zeroed for the cold and figure I do a little Kentucky for second shot, if needed.

Hoping someone had an idea, short of a bunch of $.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

If bedding does not fix it, I would part with it. Hunting takes a lot of effort, and an inaccurate rifle or one that does as the OP is not acceptable to me. It is too easy to get a rifle that does not do that.

When hunting, I always made a last minute check of the rifle, and did not clean the bore until the hunt was over. A clean barrel with a little oil will not shoot to the same point of impact as succeeding shots.

Regards,
    Jerry

Senior Moderator
    "Cold Shots" are almost always different from the rest of the shots.Reasons can be varied.

Some will say that when a gun is moved around, placed in a case, knocked around in the back of a truck or a trunk, that it takes a shot for the rifle to settle in.

Others will say that cleaning residue from the last cleaning session causes more or less friction on the first shot, which cleans it out, thus the next shots are on target.

This is one of the many reasons that match shooters are allowed to shoot what is known as a "fouling" shot so as to eliminate possible flyers from the group.

Actions that have been blue printed tend to display less variation from a cold shot, so it may be that your lugs aren't making good contact(80% or better) and the action is twisting somewhat.

Sometimes bedding the recoil lug will help, sometimes it wont.

Its pretty common, and the reason for why your gun does it could be one of many.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I shoot a muzzleloader a lot. Temp of your barrel may make some difference but what I think your deal is "fowling" Your gun proably shoots better with a fowled barrel. That is very common with black powder guns. Next time, swab your barrel and make sure you get all the oil out before your first shot because excessive oil can do the same. If the swabbing doesn't change it, I would say it like a fowled barrel. A lot of muzzleloader hunters will fire a few primers or a fowling shot before hunting with it.
    Good luck,

Sponsored Links