Doggonit That's Fast For .223 Rem & .45acp

Doggonit That's Fast For .223 Rem & .45acp

This is a discussion on Doggonit That's Fast For .223 Rem & .45acp within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; RBCD New For 2006 ~ available in 223 Rem (3800 + fps / 1300 + flbs) and 308 Win. (3600 + fps / 3200 + ...

Administrator

Post Doggonit That's Fast For .223 Rem & .45acp

RBCD

New For 2006 ~

available in 223 Rem (3800 + fps / 1300 + flbs)

and 308 Win. (3600 + fps / 3200 + flbs)

45 ACP at over 2340 fps & 1000 flbs

RBCD’s Performance Plus TPD

Ultra High Performance TPD Ammunition.

Designed for the Ultimate Personal Defense Protection in CCW / Close Quarters Defense Conflicts. RBCD Performance Plus - Provides the Highest Velocities / Highest Energies / 100 % Energy Transfer / Limited Range / Superior Accuracy of any TPD Handgun Cartridges available to the general public.

What are they shooting in that 45 a 22 sabot .. that is smoking

Gotta go research that one. My Hydra Shoks are below 900 f/s IIRC.

A little rough on your pistol?
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

i would think it would be rough on it .. Need some heavy recoil springs too

Lead Moderator
    wow, fast bullets will ruin the rifling faster. Wonder how they are getting the fps?

Administrator

Post Sorry Folks...I Plumb Forgot To Add The Link

1951 - 2011
    Hello. These controversial cartridges achieve the high velocities for caliber (at least in handguns) using lighter than normal bullet weights. At least some of the loads are standard pressure; I don't know as I've not used anything but a small batch of 9mm ammo out of a Browning Hi Power.

RBCD Platinum Plus 50-gr. Tactical:

Average Velocity: 2206 ft/sec
    Extreme Spread: 97
    Std. Deviation: 33

Penetration into "wetpack" (super-saturated newsprint submerged in water for 24 hours & drained 30 minutes before shooting) was 4", but this has different characteristics than tissue or ballistic gelatin. Expanding bullets I've shot into it seem very close to those recovered from either water or gelatin and the ones I've pulled out of animals, but the penetration will differ. It did penetrate less than conventional JHP's I fired into the soaked newsprint. The company advises that this load penetrates 9" into 10% ballistic gelatin and creates a cavity 7" wide after passing through four layers of denim, a now-standard protocol.

This ammunition is quite expensive...and controversial. Some say that the company is making claims that cannot be supported under scientific scrutiny. Others say the stuff is ultra potent. I do not know, but can say that in the newsprint, the "cavity" was noticeably wider than any other 9mm expanding ammo I tried. How that translates in real life seems to be open to often rather heated debate.

At fifteen yards, the stuff grouped quite well as in under an inch. It struck the target approximately an inch below POA with the pistol dead on for 124-gr. +P.

LOA was 1.12" with cases manufactured by Starline.

Out of the Hi Power, which had a Wolfe 18.5-lb spring, there were no malfunctions other than the slide not locking back on the last shot. Were I going to use this ammo in a Hi Power (which has a heavy 32-lb mainspring), I'd go with the factory 17-lb recoil spring. Recoil was quite light.

RBCD promotes this round as "totally fragmenting." This is all I recovered of the bullet, the nose plug and base.

Here is the "wound" made in the wetpack.

Best.

Administrator

Smile Thank You Stephen

Your additions are always appreciated.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. You are most welcome. I checked my notes sent to me from a few folks worldwide involving shootings and couldn't find a single thing on this ammunition (in handgun calibers) against human aggressors. I'm not sure if it has ever been used "for real" so I could only post what I'd actually seen...which was not much. Having said that I'd hate like hell to get hit with it.

Best.

Assistant Administrator
    Thx from me too Steve - your input is both appreciated and respected.

I must say that wet pack ''wound'' is more than interesting - having done quite a lot of 9mm wetpack testing myself - that is exceptional.

I do wonder tho if the claims are reliable - and I don't mean that to sound purposely deprecating - just that we have mostly lab type tests to go on.

It's real hard to change from the devil you know well - whether GD's H Shocks - whatever - and change to something as radical. Must say I'd relish some testing opportunity on that .223.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Think i would pass the whole point of carrying a 45 is to pack the 230 grain fro me anyways and not a 90 grained trying to achieve rifle velocities

1951 - 2011
    Hello. I cannot say from any personal experience or observations how well the RBCD .45 load would or would not work. Having seen the results of some .45 ACP's used on people as well as having cleanly killed a number of animals from coyotes to Texas whitetails with a few .45 ACP JHP loads, I have a fair understanding (I think) of what I might expect to see against a felonious attacker if I can get the hit(s) with the .45 using either 230-gr. Ranger T, Golden Sabers, or Gold Dots. I might not know which is best with regard to super-light and super-fast-for-caliber, but have seen the .45 with 230-gr. certain 230-gr. JHP's do "good enough" that I'll just stick with them for now.

Best.

The person behind this product is very controversial.
    Run just a simple Google of his name and seeall the havoc that revolves around him and this product...

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR @ TacticalForums.com
    A preliminary SEM Elemental Analysis of RBCD/LeMas/Blended Metal ammunition has been completed on .45 ACP bullets sent to us from two different colleagues who had received ammunition samples from Stan Bulmer of LeMas.

As can be seen above, in addition to a typical copper jacket, the RBCD bullets analysed were fabricated with a nylon core (that gets variably squished and deformed during manufacture, resulting in inconsistent bullet CG) and metal nose portion that turns out to be composed of LEAD, with slight amounts of antimony. In other words, the RBCD bullets are lightweight, high-velocity, lead nosed JSP’s—so much for lead-free, programmable, heat sensitive “blended metal technology”…

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bi...=000630#000000
    Caveat Emptor, and stuff.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links