My daily procedure - Page 2

My daily procedure

This is a discussion on My daily procedure within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only time I remove the chambered round is when I go to the range and shoot FMJ / range ammo. Then I put the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The only time I remove the chambered round is when I go to the range and shoot FMJ / range ammo. Then I put the round that was chambered at the bottom of the mag.

Since one is always in the chamber I never have to wonder if it's loaded.

I seldom remove the chambered round...my pistol remains loaded and ready for action.
    When I go to the range, I will fire off the first three rounds from my SD mags and then replace the SD ammo after cleaning my guns...otherwise...she stays in condition #1.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I live in Illinois where there is no carry law. Therefore I load and unload my 1911 several times a day to stay legal. My routine is as follows. When I rise in the morning the 1911 is on the nightstand on my right side with a round in the chamber and the Wilson mag full and inserted. I pick the pistol up and it goes through my morning routine with me in that condition through my trip to the garage with my black lab to begin our daily routine. When seated in the vehicle I drop the clip and rack the slide to eject the round from the chamber. The pistol is then cased for the drive to the private property where he is allowed to run free. Upon arrival at this property the pistol comes out of the case and the slide racked back and the slide stop engaged. The live round is reinserted into the chamber and the slide stop is disengaged while the slide is firmly gripped in my left hand. I then let the slide down gently into it's fully closed position, the safety engaged, and the clip inserted and snapped into place. This takes place a couple of times a day minimum. Incoming to the garage the loading process is followed and if it's the last time for the day the pistol rides on my hip until bed time and then goes onto the night stand. There are no children in the household. I compare the round used in the chamber to the top round in the clip the first loading in the morning and if it looks impacted it is discarded and a new round from the box substituted. I've never had a problem with this procedure. The safety will not engage on this pistol unless the slide is fully forward and capable of launching a round. You might also try gently moving your slide back just enough to check the chamber for a round rather than going through a full unload/reload routine. Another thing I've noticed after removing a round from the chamber that was cycled by the weapon during a shooting session is that they sometimes look a little impacted. That could just be me being overly cautious. Hope this helps.

I slowly chamber rounds to help prevent setback. I don't know if this is a good practice or not but everytime at the range they went boom. My gun is chambered daily and removed at night. I just don't feel comfortable going to bed with a gun chambered for some reason.

The two top rounds are rotated after about a week, and some go down range just to make sure.

So is there really that big of a concern with setback with a QUALITY 9mm round?

yes...setback can happen with just about any ammo out there. I've had setback on Georgia Arms "factory reloads" and Hornady TAP both

I press check my 1911 to visually insure there's a loaded round whenever it's been out of my control.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by llongshot View Post
    Upon arrival at this property the pistol comes out of the case and the slide racked back and the slide stop engaged. The live round is reinserted into the chamber and the slide stop is disengaged while the slide is firmly gripped in my left hand. I then let the slide down gently into it's fully closed position, the safety engaged, and the clip inserted and snapped into place.
    FWIW, you should never manually put a round in the chamber. Doing so stresses the extractor by forcing it to go over the rim of your cartridge in the wrong direction.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    FWIW, you should never manually put a round in the chamber. Doing so stresses the ejector by forcing it to go over the rim of your cartridge in the wrong direction.
    Sorry for the correction, but that's the extractor. The ejector is a different part entirely.

You're right about the stress part.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Yep, saw it as soon as I hit submit...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I seldom remove the chambered round...my pistol remains loaded and ready for action.
    When I go to the range, I will fire off the first three rounds from my SD mags and then replace the SD ammo after cleaning my guns...otherwise...she stays in condition #1.
    Yep ! That's the way I do it.
    Having had guns for 59 years (or is it 60), they have lost their "Magic"; they are tools (well, all exept the Luger p-09 my wife gave me); do you remove the battery from your cordless drill everyday if you don't need to charge it ?

The Glock 26 goes from the holster to the dining room table in the evening, then on the night stand. In the morning, goes from the nightstand to the holster after taking a peek through the space between thebreech and the barrel to make sure the round in the chamber jumped out of the gun during the night
    Every year or so, empty the magazine at the range, clean it, store it take a fresh mag for another year (I don't shoot IDPA anymore).
    Simpler procedures are less prone to failure.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links