My daily procedure

My daily procedure

This is a discussion on My daily procedure within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ***Mods, please feel free to move this if you see fit, this seemed like the most logical place to put this*** So I have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My daily procedure

My daily procedure

***Mods, please feel free to move this if you see fit, this seemed like the most logical place to put this***

So I have a daily safety procedure that I go through and I wanted to know if it is in anyway bad for my bullets.

Every morning before I go out and everynight before I go to bed, I drop the mag from my G26, pull the slide back and let the extra bullet drop onto my bed, confirm that it is unloaded, then reload it. So basically, there are two bullets that are constantly being rotated between the chamber and the mag. The casing on the bullet obviously has a bit of surface scratching, but that's about it.

Using Federal Hydra-shock 9mm 147 Grain

Furthermore, is this a "useless" procedure or do any of you all do the same/similar?

To me, it is a comfort thing...

Thoughts? Anyone?

I check to see if the mag. is seated, then I do a press check.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

You need to be careful about bullet setback.

I don't see the point of unloading and rechambering so often. Not being critical if that's what works for you, I just don't see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    You need to be careful about bullet setback.

I don't see the point of unloading and rechambering so often. Not being critical if that's what works for you, I just don't see the point.

Huh?

Bullet setback is where the bullet is slightly pushed back into the casing through repeated chamberings. This can cause the pressure inside the casing to increase. IIRC, it's a greater potential for kabooms when using .40 due to the already high internal pressure of the .40 round, but setback is not a good thing in any gun.

I saw a good comparison picture here on DC somewhere, comparing a normal round and one with setback. It may only be a small amount of difference, perhaps not noticeable unless one is looking closely. However, it's never a good thing.

Maybe someone can find those comparison pictures, or perhaps you can find them. I've got to run to the P.O. to pay a bill so I don't have time to look right now.

Bullet setback is when the lead is pushed back into the casing to far.
    Like the pic below.

You can see the left round is factory, middle round is a little setback, and the right is really setback.

VIP Member
    IMHO it is wasting your time, and damaging (potentially) your bullets. Do you leave it unchambered at night? If so, why?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    If you want to rotate...I'd do it with the mag only. Personally, I do not and see no value in what you are doing. I also see the potential one day for you to be interrupted while doing this and get out of sequence...lots of examples of this...and make a mistake...perhaps costly mistake.

Rick

mrm
    i think the reason you feel more comfortable with one out of the chamber is the lack of controll you have while you are sleeping. In my house I do the same thing cause my kids will get out of bed and come and stand by the bedside and say Dad I cant sleep or dad I just threw up or something, and it makes me nervous without controll.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

me I just sit the gun beside the bed. I know its loaded cause I didnot unload it.Same for in the morning , pick it up and holster it. The only time I unchamber the round is before I clean it or show the gun to a friend.other than that it stays cocked and locked.
    I bow to one king, and serve only one kingdom
    JESUS CHRIST

In the morning, holstered gun goes on the hip. In the afternoon, holstered gun goes on the coffee table in front of me while I enjoy some Glenn Beck, followed by some PDTV and or a hunting show. If I have to go back out it goes with me. When I go to bed the holstered weapon is sitting on the nightstand next to me.

I dont rechamber the rounds and repack mags and such.

No reason for it.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Does anyone else pull the slide back enough to double check for a chambered round ever? I do sometimes, but usually I just look through the little hole S&W left for that purpose on my slide.

I myself have been nervous about leaving a chambered round while I sleep. I'm terrified of doing something in my sleep, if I think about it too much just before I go to sleep I end up taking a round out of the chamber.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

In the morning (or whenever I feel the need) I'll remove the mag and inspect, reinsert mag firmly, then just bring the slide back enough to see that the round is chambered. Works for me.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

I usaully do not sleep with a round chambered. Dont know why, just habit i guess. Probably cause if my home is burglarized ill be grabbing my rifle or shotgun instead of my pistol anyway.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

+1 for not doing this every day.

My carry pistols have a loaded chamber indicator, so there is no need to remove the cartridge from the chamber or even open the slide every time I want to check to see if it is loaded.

Besides that, I am the only one that touches my gun, so if I didn't remove the round, it could not have gone anywhere. My wife's carry gun, it touched by me and her, but still there is no reason to remove the round daily or whatever. Once it is loaded, it is loaded. Her G19 also has a loaded chamber indicator which helps if used.

If your worried about whether or not you gun is safe at home loaded when your asleep or whatever get a quick access safe and use it for storage at night or when your not carrying. I put mine in the safe at night but don't lock it up. It remains on the closet shelf about 5 ft from my side of the bed.

Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links