Ammo Run

This is a discussion on Ammo Run within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The GPS idea was a bad idea (as pointed out, in a SHTF situation, uncertain GPS would work. In addition, someone might get interested in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo Run

The GPS idea was a bad idea (as pointed out, in a SHTF situation, uncertain GPS would work. In addition, someone might get interested in you GPS, and wonder what that point of interest is.

However, I think many gun owners have considered digging a hole and placing a firearm and some ammo in it.

I have not, mostly out of the off chance concern someone might find it, and most of the time a gun owner is responsinble for securing a firearm (and I'm not sure if a hole would meet the requirement).

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Even better, just buy those super lethal plastic bullets that can't be sensed by a metal detector and put them in a sealed tupperware container and bury that. No one will find them then.
    In addition, get a Glock 7. That porcelain gun doesn't show up on your airport metal detectors, if you can afford it.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

Well as most of you have figured out I did not really do this. But this story is not a lie….well for the most part.

I was the Dad who went looking for some ammo because my son asked to go shooting a couple of weeks ago. I needed to pick up some .22, but guess what….there was no bulk .22 to be found. Well in the process of looking for .22 I noticed everything else has dried up or the price was extremely high.

So let me get this right, it is not the government that is causing a shortage, it is not the government causing prices to go up, it is not the government ruining our sport….it is us? What gives?

Hopefully a couple of people who are hoarding ammo will read this and realize what they are doing, because you are the ones taking the ammo from someones kid who wants to go shooting….

Thanks,

Dax

Not trying to flame here, just trying to give another perspective on the situation.

Your position has merit, however it is not simpy a one way street. I agree that the whole panic buying situation is over the top and is in some cases, such as yours, hurting our sport.

However, I also believe that your reaction is typical of those who fail to prepare ahead of time for potential shortages and then blame others, who also failed to prepare, for your situation. It's not totally your fault, it is a result of conditioning. Most people have been lulled into this situation becuase everything we usually need is avaiable in quantity at the local store 24/7.

On the other hand, some of us who are "hoarding" ammo are part of the solution. We had the foresight to prepare for potential market shortages or unavailability long ago when there was plenty available.

I have kept plenty on hand for years, like my dad taught me to do, hence I don't need to buy it now, at inlfated prices, everytime it hits the shelves. I can let someone else buy it. This way I save my money and relieve some stress on the market.

Similar to those who keep batteries and food on hand all of the time, therefore they are not then adding to the frenzy as the storm apporaches and threatens to knock out the power, or adding to the hunger of others due to crop failure or distibution chain disruptions. These same prepared individuals are also in a position to be charatable and to help others, becuase they have supplies on hand.

IMO - The lesson we should all take away from this (and teach to our children) is to try to be prepared for potential shortages to avoid being the "panic buyer" who is without a doubt now to blame for exacerbating (or even creating) the situation. The time to prepare is when the availability is not under stress, and the time to think of others is when there are shortages. It's important to be neighborly and consider others, however most people will fail to do so when panic sets in. THis will always be the case, so the best one can do is try to avoid the downsides of human behavior faults, by realizing what they are and making preparations to avoid being affected by them.

JMO - YMMV
    Last edited by sgtD; March 26th, 2009 at 03:47 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I understand what you are saying sgtD- But there are some of us that are new to gun ownership, and I wouldnt have known to buy .40 s&w before last Nov. Just finding this out now, since gun choice. So I will buy as much as possible for future shooting, now that I know what I need. Maybe bury some in the back yard-LOL.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Loadedtech View Post
    I understand what you are saying sgtD- But there are some of us that are new to gun ownership, and I wouldnt have known to buy .40 s&w before last Nov. Just finding this out now, since gun choice. So I will buy as much as possible for future shooting, now that I know what I need. Maybe bury some in the back yard-LOL.
    Understood, like I said, not trying to flame or attack anyone, simply attempting to point out the value of having things on hand if possible, and being prepared v. the ramifications of not being prepared. Luckily for the OP, he only needed some ammo to take his kid shooting and more will become avaiable soon. Someday, something could occur where the ramifications could be worse.

Like all of the people in California during the riots in the '90s who rushed to the gun shop to arm themselves, only to find out that they had to wait 7 days to get a handgun.

On Sept, 11, people who tried to withdraw money from their accounts because they wanted to have cash on hand in case another shoe was going to drop, they found the banks limiting withdrawls to $250. (Happened to my wife, I learned to keep cash on hand)

When we were hit by a hurricanne in 2004, no power, water, groceries, gas available for days or weeks, forget finding a generator. Same thing up here when the ice storm hit last year, no propane, kerosene, lanterns, etc.

Coming from Florida originally, I have seen gas stations go dry, and home depot and grocery store shelves wipred clean in a matter of a few hours after a storm warning is given.

I do see the OP's point though and don't disagree, I'm just pointing out that it could have been avoided. I too think the situation now is a bit irrational, but people always act irrationally when they panic and they most usually can be counted on to panic. Your case is totally different.

Best wishes to all.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I burried a 100 count box of ammo once and the following year I had bulk boxes growing all over my lawn.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links