Ammunition Shortage: Our Fault?

This is a discussion on Ammunition Shortage: Our Fault? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm starting to hear that the problem is traditional gun owners, motovated by a shortage panic, are stockpiling. That the situation is getting serious enough ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition Shortage: Our Fault?

I'm starting to hear that the problem is traditional gun owners, motovated by a shortage panic, are stockpiling. That the situation is getting serious enough that it will soon effect the war on terror (or whatever is the new PC word for the ongoing conflict).

Now I imagine every issue that has been brought up is part of the issue, but what I find interesting about blaming "traditional gun owners" is it is partially true, you get a news (propaganda) story that blames gun owners, makes them look unpatriotic, and you don't have to acknowledge the political issues that may have begun the motovation of the shortage panic.

So I want to sum up the "buzz" reasons for the ammunition shortages, let me know if I missed one. BTW, I looked back, and there has been a building concern for ammunition shortages since late 2006. I have only had serious problems finding ammunition since 12/2008, or so (and thats .357 Sig).

We have heard there are ammunition shortages due to increased military demand (effecting supply of all calibers due to production capabilities and availability of resources).

I have also read that part of the issue is the increase in SWAT and other paramilitary police teams since 2001.

I have also heard it is the economy. It is all tied together, and while there is demand for ammunition there are other issue along the chain (global weaking of fiat currency, changes in shipping, problems aquiring the raw materials used to make brass, bullets, powder, etc).

The economy / politics is also blamed because uncertainty makes people prepare / stockpile.

Next, all the new gun owners. In the panic (due to the economy and due to fear of who is in power in DC). With those new guns, they purchase ammunition.

I've also read (and must admit wonder) about conspiracy like issues. Manufacturers gearing up to make serialized ammunition to "environmentally responsible" ammunition due to future legislation.

Looking back, almost everything I've read, I don't have any information from a real source. Everything comes from a wire service, and often you never really know who is being quoted. The only fact I know is ammunition is getting harder to find.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I think it is a fairly complex problem with a lot of parameters, but I've come to the conclusion that most of it is self-inflicted. I don't have any evidence for that statement, other than anytime anybody here finds ammo in their caliber, it seems they buy it all, or close to it. That is other than the reloaders, who have their own shortages, or those that have hoarded for years, or those that only purchase what they need that day or can afford.

Just my opinion.

Senior Moderator
    Of course it's our fault.

It's always our fault...haven't you people figured that out yet?

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

HKR
    First of all, HotGuns, that avatar sends chills through me everytime I see it.

As for the ammo shortage, everyone knows that the ammo manufacturers are sending most of their supply to the mexican drug cartels-you guys haven't been watching enough cnn/hnn. You know, the communist news network and the haven't got a clue news network.

Seriously though, of course we are a major contibuting factor to the shortage. Enough people have seen the writing on the wall and realized that we can no longer put off aquiring bulk ammunition. There are also all of the new gun owners who are finally figuring out that that you and you alone are responsible for your family and your own safety.

Senior Moderator
    I wouldnt worry about that ammo shortage so much.
    At the rate things are going, it wont be long before you'll be able to pick it up off the street.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Self inflicted? Well, it's probably safe to say that it's highly unlikely that non-gun owners are buying up the ammo, so . . .
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Self inflicted? Well, it's probably safe to say that it's highly unlikely that non-gun owners are buying up the ammo, so . . .
    I guess you have a point, .

Talking to one of my clients that has his FFL and sells reloading supplies and ammo etc. It really is self inflicted.

What this is really going to affect is the very avid shooters. He shoots cowboy action, and has told me that the shortage of reloading supplies is going to inflict a large hit to the SASS shooters this year. Mainly because primers are in such short supply.

I would image that IDPA, IPSC and any other forms of shooting where folks go through many thousands of rounds a year are going to be hurt much more than us average shooters that shoot less than 10, 000, or eve those that shoot less than 2-3000 rds a year.

I currently have enough stuff for about 10-12,000 rds of ammo, so I am good, but I too have contributed to the problem. Usually I only keep about 3-4000 rds or stuff to build, but I have tripled my supply in the last few months.

Guilty as charged.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I just need about another 500rds of 357 SIG and I'll back off a bit until I get to do some more shooting. I don't want to be a hoarder, I just want enough for sport on top of the large amount of defensive ammo. I bought a decent amount of defensive ammo so I know it is reliable in my new gun.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    It is a combination of different factors, mostly I think it is the sudden tsunami of ammo hoarders and new gun owners. When the news spread of a possible ban on guns and concealed carry rights, people came out of the woodwork to buy guns of all kinds, particularly 9mm and .380 calibers.
    People who never owned guns in the past, younger folk who never used to worry about self-defense and even many of those people that voted voted for the Obaminator rushed out to purchase guns and ammo. This taxed the system greatly and it hasn't slowed down to the point where the industry can catch up.

The more people bought ammo, the more scarce it became. This lead to even more panic buying from new gun owners and those that already had ammo stashed. It was a chain reaction. Buy ammo. Buy more ammo. Buy ALL the ammo I can find.

This same thing happened to the fuel industry last year, remember?

One rumor from an email spread across the country. Panic buying ensued, fuel was hard to find and expensive when it was found.

We are only about 4 months into an ammo shortage. It just seems like its been a year. It should calm down soon . . .
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I've got to admit I didn't buy my gun until the stuff started getting bad. I don't know why I always put it off, but this was just the time to do it before I thought I might never be able to buy a gun.

Of course it is.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I wouldnt worry about that ammo shortage so much.
    At the rate things are going, it wont be long before you'll be able to pick it up off the street.
    That would be unfortunate... I keep my ammo inventoried... so if that happens people are f'ing up... more than normal I mean.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    ...I have however found this blog that has some interesting points in it (thats all I'm gonna say, is that they are interesting), read the whole thing:

> An Explanation of the Nationwide Ammunition Shortage - alt.politics | Google Groups
    From a different thread. The link does a better job of summing up most of the ammo shortage stories.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

As much as I don't want to admit that I want to hoard ammunition I would like at least 6 months of spare ammo.

I currently have approximately 500 rounds of 9mm and visit the range ever 3 weeks or so. Each time I visit the range I easily use at least 100 rounds of ammo or more. I have to maintain my proficiency with my G26. My life or the life of someone else may depend upon my degree of accuracy.

I know that I don't want to cause other gun owners a hardship locating ammo but I have to think of my needs first. Once I get my 6 month supply I'll try to maintain that as best I can under the circumstances.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I can find most ammo I use exept for 7.62x39mm (unless it's wolf), I heard the afgan and Iraq wars are to explain for this because the government has put in orders for a massive stock pile... 5.56 is much easier for me to find, and I can find 9mm or 45acp if I need it... my local store has a huge number of .357Sig too.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links