Mabye help ID a round

Mabye help ID a round

This is a discussion on Mabye help ID a round within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so, my co-worker is talking to his neighbor last night, neighbor claims to be an fbi agent, and has a bunch of ammo piled up ...

Thread: Mabye help ID a round

Mabye help ID a round

so, my co-worker is talking to his neighbor last night, neighbor claims to be an fbi agent, and has a bunch of ammo piled up in his garage. my co-worker got a handfull of jhp from his neighbor, but doesnt know what they are, mabye someone here might? i cant get a good pic of the headstamp, but it is a .45 auto+p with r-p along the top, does this ring a bell with anyone? know who makes it?the jacket looks like it was folded over the top of the lead.
    i was just curious if anybody had any ideas? thanx for any help anyone can offer, if noone knows, thats cool too

VIP Member
    R-P probably means Remington-Peters?

Was it this?

http://www.remington.com/products/am..._saber_HPJ.asp

One of their Golden Saber .45 Auto loads is +P.

Why is an FBI agent giving away ammunition?
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

the "cuts" on the jacket dont look the same, these ones are very light not curved but mabye.......my co-worker was complaining about not being able to find any, and was given about 24 rounds, i think he was just trying to be nice....thanx for the response

FBI agent with ammo piled up in his garage? Sounds rather careless for a federal agent.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

i could have been a little better in my description, the guy didnt have the ammo just piled up, he had it all in cans, and other containers, he just happend to have a lot of it according to my co-worker. as far as i can tell, it would have to be a remington product due to the r-p, but it just doesnt look like the golden saber.....thanx for all your replies

VIP Member
    Does this bullet profile look more like it (although the site does not list a +P round for .45 Auto--could be LEO-only)?:

Remington Express® Handgun Ammunition

Otherwise, it beats my pair of Aces.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

R-P

Remington made a 185gr +P .45 load with the jacket folded slightly over the lead in the hollow point and no deep cuts in the jacket. It had a very rounded profile and it was the go-to load for guns that wouldn't feed JHP in the old days. I think the Gold Saber 185gr +P has replaced it.

VIP Member
    The FBI is using Gold Dot. At least they were last year. Superhouse nailed it though, but it's probably private stock, not FBI ammo.

As an aside I'll say that I have been given plenty of ammo by an FBI agent. The FBI gives it to the agents for practice when they "clean out" the armory. All I was ever given was ooooold .38 spl wadcutters.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

ammo

I can't remember exactly, but I think this was one of the rounds that passed the original FBI tests post '86 Miami shootout. With the construction of the hollow point with the jacket partially over the lead, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a dynamic expander and penetrated as deep as they needed. Got to try and look that one up. Maybe I read it in Sanow's book?

VIP Member
    The difference could also be between the regular JHP and the bonded JHP round. I can't find photos of the regular on the Remington site. When you open up info it says it is for both, but the specs show BJHP only.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

thanx, guys.....it would make sense if its the stuff superhouse was describing, it looks exactly as you described....and i found out some more info from my co-worker, his neighbor is former fbi, they let him go due to a medical condition, and now works for a security outfit known around here as rent-a-cop. i almost thought "mall ninja", but i like to give the benefit of the doubt, and he had a 1911 when my buddy was talkin to him, not a hi point, so mabye hes the real deal
    anyway, thanx for the info, ill let my buddy use the stuff and stick to my hydrashocks for now

Links