Best Self Defense 9mm ammo

This is a discussion on Best Self Defense 9mm ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well i am looking to pick up some SD ammo if i can find some for my xdsc 9mm 3" barrel some i looked at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Self Defense 9mm ammo

Best Self Defense 9mm ammo

Well i am looking to pick up some SD ammo if i can find some for my xdsc 9mm 3" barrel some i looked at say not good for short barrels so does it matter.

Should i go with 115gr,124gr,147gr, 124+p, or 147+p ammo.

I was looking into

speer gold dots, winchester ranger, winchester sxt, federal hydra shock, federal HST, or Corbon.

undecided on the grain and load since i am shooting it out of the XDSC. I heard go with a lighter load and a +P to pick up speed. I also hear that the 124 +P will expand quicker but not penetrate as deep. I heard the 147gr wont be fast and wont expand as much but penetrate more. test i have shown show the 147 expanding more than the 124 and basically the same penetration. HST makes a 147+P so would that be the best of both worlds.

So its down to the 124 vs 124+P vs. 147 vs. 147+P

I am guessing either the 124+P or the 147+P would be the best.

What do you suggest for the XDSC 3"

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I'd be comfortable with anything, but more than likely would be using 124+P ammo. Gold Dots and SXT's would both be something I would look into.
    Beretta 92FS

I also like the Speer 124gr+p GDHP. When it all comes down to it, the best self defense 9mm ammo is the one you shoot best with and believe in despite any marketing hype or tests. If you miss your target they won't be calling it self defense anyway.

Federal HST........if you can find it.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

+1 with rmxer85. The 147 breed. Too bad Federal has told it's dealers that selling this "LE only" ammo is a no-no. Most stores, be they brick and mortar or internet warehouses, have pulled their supplies or will ask for a badge for purchase.

My 9mm load is a 115 Grain +P+ because I can get it by the truckload.

Between your two choices, 124 or 147 grain, I'd select the 124 Grain +P if it were me. NYPD has had good results with that ammo, as have other agencies. It's not so much the bullet, as where you place it.

With the above stated, I will say that the 9mm and 38 SPL are the two calibers I carry that I am most selective as to what ammo I use. I believe that there is less margin for error in regards to bullet/load selection than in bigger calibers.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I also like the Speer 124gr+p GDHP.
    Ditto, here, as well.

Though, I'd qualify that by suggesting the best round for your specific gun might well need to be different simply because of tolerances that differ enough that some other choice ends up being superior in terms of reliability (feeding, ejection compatibility with your magazines). Not all bullets work equally well in all guns.

Case in point: My CZ P-01 9mm semi-auto pistol is amazingly reliable with the DoubleTap JHP 124gr +P, or the Federal HydraShok Tactical JHP 124gr +P+. Either of these is heads and shoulders above all others in the reliability department. Specifically, both happen to be the longest of all rounds I've tried, and one of them has a very tight crimp that results in noticeably smoother feeding. ANY other round simply feeds more roughly and not as reliably. So, in my particular gun, either of these are my carry ammo of choice.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Debate

There are hundreds of opinions offered on this when the topic comes up.

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian. Pick a load you and your gun like and learn how to shoot it. Spend 10 times what you spend on defense ammo on practice ammo and you'll be fine.

jfl
    I like the Gold Dots 124 +, but all the other you mention would fit me, except the CorBon; I had some failures to feed with CorBon.

Whatever you decide, make sure you run a couple hundred rounds of that ammo through your gun.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    I like the Gold Dots 124 +, but all the other you mention would fit me, except the CorBon; I had some failures to feed with CorBon.

Whatever you decide, make sure you run a couple hundred rounds of that ammo through your gun.

I agree with and use the Gold Dots, but in the Short Barrel version. Ask your gun shop to stock them.

Speer Gold Dot 124 +P Short Barrel Hollow Points
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    The best SD ammo is the one you put on target when the SHTF.

Yeah, what Saifu said. And, as others have advised, make sure your particular gun will flawlessly feed the ammo you carry - it is worth it to know.

Most premium SD ammo will do the job if you do yours. I like the GDHPs in 124+P, but I also like Corbon ammo and have been shifting over to that for my carry guns.

Cheers!

Jim D.

Ballistics by the inch: "Four guys, two chronographs, and 8,500 rounds of ammo."

Like Science Fiction? Read *or listen to* my novel, Communion of Dreams, for free.

Ok thanks guys i have chose to pick up some HST but not sure to pick the 124+P or the 147+P being i have a short barrel 3" not sure which is best for that

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    dbraves8; I also carry the XD9sc my first choice of ammo is the Corbon DPX, my 2nd would be the HST 124 (Plain or +P)

I went with DPX over HST because it is said to work with barriers better if ever needed. (better to have and not need than to need and not have) DPX do cost more but I don't plan on shooting that many of them. (Just enough to know they will work in my carry gun)

MY 2 cents worth (worth what it cost you)

OK thanks. I am gonna go with the HST or Speer Gold Dots. But just cant figure out which i want the 124+P or the 147 or the 147+P. I would think the 147+P would be the best of both worlds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links