32 h and r mag as a self-defense load

This is a discussion on 32 h and r mag as a self-defense load within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys- I apologize if this has been covered. I did a search and did not find anything focused on this. What do you think of ...

Thread: 32 h and r mag as a self-defense load

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar

Guys-
    I apologize if this has been covered. I did a search and did not find anything focused on this.
    What do you think of the 32 h and r mag as a defensive load? Presumably we are talking 2 inch snub revolver here. I actually like the caliber, and have a 4.75 inch single action ruger revolver in this caliber. there are several plausible defensive loads for this. S&W has of course made a couple of light j frame type revolvers for this loading. Ballistically I know it appears somewhat marginal, though much better than 32 acp. I have found the round to be very accurate and not too bad in muzzle flash/noise, at least from my longer revolver.
    Thoughts? Thanks in advance. I admit I am attracted by this round, for no good logical reason.
    God Bless.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Assistant Administrator
    Well - I am right now watching for progress from NAA re their supposed new Mini (or is it perhaps Midi!) in that cal. I am so far interested.

I would choose it over .32acp if possible but certainly prefer to get higher in cal from choice. I expect this cal would be pretty good for a BUG - better let's say than my current NAA Mini in .22WMR.

I do not have a piece at present in .32H&R so cannot speak of personal experience with tests etc. I have not looked up data - but what do we have for fps with a given grain bullet?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think it would be ok . The ballistics for the .32H&R mag are about the same as the .380acp. You get a 85-90gn hp moving about 900-1050 fps. I think for someone who was recoil sensitive it would make a good nightstand gun in a revolver with a 4'' barrell. or as a BUG. hope this helps.

Had a gunshop clerk try to push one of those S&W Airweights on me when I went looking for a 442/642. I passed on it simply because I didn't know enough about the caliber. He said he sold a bunch of them to LEOs as BUGs - that's all fine and good but I was looking for a warm weather primary.

Chris:
    Are you saying that NAA's bringing out a .32mag mini revo or auto (Guardian, I think?). The pocket auto seems fairly do-able ala Seecamp but I'm with you, a .32mag mini revo would make a nice little vest pocket gun. Also, how does the mini's trigger pull compare to a std. Derringer? I've had those in .38spl. and .22mag but both triggers required an almost straining effort to pull.
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Jack - yes I believe there is a new .32 mini revo in the works but - even at shotshow apparently - nothing to be seen - seems under wraps for now. Someone actually mentioned that their time at the NAA stand made them feel all but unwelcome - not very impressive!

It does seem as tho it may be rather heavy and not over small - so remains to be seen if it's worth consideration.

The Mini's trigger pull? Well - nothing all that special really but not over heavy (to me) - it is of course that lil stub thing - but I can say it is not hard to shoot - well functional and actually I'd not want an over light trigger on that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Isnt the 32 mag a popular caliber for cowboy action shooters?
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

VIP Member
    I think Charter Arms and maybe even Dan Wesson had revolvers chambered in that caliber.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I like the little .32 H&R Mag. cartridge. My wife has had one in a Ruger Blackhawk now for 12(?) or so years now. I have done some reloading for it. Mainly the Hornady 100gr XTP's. She carries the little revo(4 5/8ths bbl) when she mucks through the swamps with me on one of my swine exploration safaries. I load her weapon with a 115gr. very hard cast bullet and 10.0grs of H110. The bullet has a large meplate and will cut a decient sized hole. This bullet/load will also penetrate very well and stay together.(as all hard cast bullets will do) Also,IMO the .32 H&R Mag will surpass the .380 Auto and come almost up to the .38 Spec. numbers when handloaded. Marlin has a Lever out in the cal. also. These are popular with the CASS crowd. I would love to see someone put out an auto in this cal. although it would have to be a fairly large weapon. For the minimal recoil,accuracy,and ease of loading,this is a great cal. if not expected to do everything. ------

i dont know a lot about the cartridge but i think it would get the job done should be better than a 380 thats for sure

Sponsored Links