Best JHP in .40

This is a discussion on Best JHP in .40 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am about to start buying .40 ammo for carry purposes (my CHL finally came in). I would have bought a few days ago when ...

Thread: Best JHP in .40

Best JHP in .40

I am about to start buying .40 ammo for carry purposes (my CHL finally came in). I would have bought a few days ago when my CHL came in -- but my closest supplier was out of all .40. (I know, the ammo shortage goes on and on). I plan to go to a bigger store later this week. They have always been stocked so far. Those of you who carry a .40 -- what do you carry for protection? I have also heard of some folks mixing FMJ with JHP in a carry mag to have some penetrators. Does anyone on this forum recommend that? If so, what about danger from over-penetration?
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I personally wouldn't recoment using both in the same mag, but that's JMO. I really like the Speer Gold Dots.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

use all JHP. I would recommend federal classic. Its cheap and works well.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

its a pointless argument because everyone has their preferences, but basically the .40 has been proven highly effective with most commercial JHP's

if you really want high quality stuff, find yourself some Federal HST's ammunitiontogo.com has some in stock at the moment

i personally use anything from Hydra-shoks, gold dots, golden sabers, cor-bon, whatever i can find when im restocking, they all work well in my gun

just my two pennies

For a top performing load, I'd recommend Double Tap's Gold Dot version. Hot stuff!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

just make sure whatever you choose, you test in your gun

the best JHP is the one that fires when you pull the trigger every time

I have had great accuracy with Georgia Arms 155gr JHP +P in my Glock G22. GA uses Goldot projectile and it works very well.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.
    |SA Custom Shop 1911-A1 Loaded|Glock 22|HK USP 45 Comp|KP97|SA XDm9|PT92AFD|PT140|COLT KING COBRA|HK USC|MINI-30|Custom AR15 SNIPER|M590A1|
    US Navy Active Duty, NRA Member, Conceal Weapon Permit Holder

I like Federal HST. It appears to be a bit cheaper then other choices, feeds well in my Glock as well as Sig and whatever test I can find it recommends it. But all the choices mentioned here should do the job.

I stay way from "specialty" ammunition. It is usually too expensive and not easily available. If I use it for daily carry and defense I want something that I can afford to shoot a couple boxes of at the range to make sure it is reliable. I also like to shoot a magazine full at the beginning of a range session (basically whatever I have in the gun at the time to convince myself that it would have worked).
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Remington Golden Saber

Quote Originally Posted by Speve View Post
    just make sure whatever you choose, you test in your gun

the best JHP is the one that fires when you pull the trigger every time
    + 1. I like the Speer Gold Dot 155 grain loads.
    God & Guns!

I carry 180grn. HST, but with the current "ammo shortage" situation I wouldn't be that picky. HST is pretty hard to come by right now so I would go with any of the better known JHP's that I could get my hands on (Remington, Winchester, Federal etc.) from 155 to 180 grn. Beggars can't be chosers right?

And personally I don't think its necessary to load more than one type of ammo in your mags.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I load Magsafe 84gr. defenders. But then again I am in the minority on those. :) They hit REALLY hard and make a big mess.

Really, though, any of the JHPs work well.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

My vote is for Double Tap Gold Dot, Corbon DPX, or Federal HST
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

Thanks folks! I appreciate the responses.
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

Links